Malawi — Savage Betrayal by Watchtower?

by Marvin Shilmer 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Malawi — Savage Betrayal by Watchtower?

Today I uploaded a new article presenting information about why Jehovah’s Witnesses in Malawi suffered brutal persecution compared to what Watchtower’s top leadership was doing at the exact same time.

The article is titled Malawi — Savage Betrayal by Watchtower? and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/03/malawi-savage-betrayal-by-watchtower.html

Marvin Shilmer

marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• snowbird
    snowbird
    compared to what Watchtower’s top leadership was doing at the exact same time.

I think it should be in contrast to what WT leadership was doing at the same time.

B-A-S-T-A-R-D-S!!!

Syl

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I can't understand why every JW wouldn't be outraged by this, once they found out.

I grew up with what was happening in Malawi and when I found out about this, it made me sick to my stomach. Partly because of what those poor people endured and partly because I had been totally lied to about it all.

B-A-S-T-A-R-D-S!!!

I ndeed.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe it was latent, if not blatant, racism.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What she said *points upward*

• james_woods
    james_woods

We should never let this be forgotten.

I was a teenager at the time, and I remember thinking that all the letter-writing was really making things worse for the Malawi witnesses.

But, I did not know about the hypocrisy from the leadership until years later from Ray's book CoC.

• St George of England
    St George of England

How many JW's even know about this? Unless you visit sites like this you would never find out! Not the sort of thing you will ever read in a WT.

George

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I believe it was blatant rascism, too.

I also think they orchestrated it to induce persecution and convince the international "rank and file" that it was the Truth.

• Scully
    Scully

In addition to racism, there was also a property ownership issue - the WTS was allowed by the government to own property in Mexico and had a religious tax exempt status, but could not in Malawi. If I remember correctly.

I also remember the letter writing campaign and, like james_woods, was concerned that it would be construed as harassment by the Malawian officials, who would, in turn, take it out on the JWs. I refused to participate. I was just a kid hearing about the persecution in Malawi for the first time - seated in a cold school auditorium/gymnasium that was utilized for a Circuit Assembly™. Excellent first impression for a seven year old to hear that the "reward" for serving Jehovah would be violence of that magnitude.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Crazy thing is nobody in your average congregation knows anything about this. I would have never known about this had it not been for this forum and other outlets like Mr.Shilmer and FreeMinds. This religion has so much dirt, its crazy. Considering the racial aspect of Malawi, I wonder how Sam Herd compartmentalizes it all emotionally?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit