Malawi — Savage Betrayal by Watchtower?

by Marvin Shilmer 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Franklin Massey - "Around here, there is an experience that comes up on occasion of a little boy, a toddler, who was learning to say his own prayers before bed. His parents would listen in and were perplexed as to why the boy was asking Jehovah to bless 'Wally'. After a while, they realized he was praying for 'Malawi'."

That "experience" doesn't just come up in your neck of the woods; it's reached almost mythical status all over North America.

There was another one about the toddler being taken to the back for a spanking who cries out "save me, Jehovah!"; everyone would laugh dutifully, even though they'd all heard it a gazillion times. By the time I started fading, I was as goddamned tired of that story as I was of hearing old-timers lament the fact that spanking in general had become so non-PC.

Reminds me; when I was still in (and in an occasional badass mood) and one of said old-timers made that lament, I'd call him or her out on it. I'd say "gosh, you complain so much about not being able to spank anymore, you must have really enjoyed it..."

The red-faced bluster and attempted backpedaling was always immensely satisfying to the giggling little leftist/anarchist in me; anyone who'd seen the little exchange would almost always give me a conspiratorial little smile afterwards...

JWs in my orbit learned quickly not to express stoopid and opinionated statements around me. I still miss it sometimes, as a matter of fact.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

snowbird

If the opportunity presents itself, I would tell the real story.

If active JW's decide to disbelieve it, so be it.

You can only lead a horse to water ...

Syl

Let's say I tell the story. I'm asked "where did you hear that?!" The story is so disgusting that it would be easy to dismiss it as sensationalized nonsense. Where could I say I read it? If I say "I saw it on the internet," I'll get everything from "It's probably Satanic apostates!" or "Yeah, well I saw on the internet that Bigfoot was seen gambling in Las Vegas, so..." I'm going to look around and see if there was any objective coverage of it in the media. If anyone knows of any non-"apostate" sources, let me know.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Franklin Massey - one thought that occurs to me: You really don't have to prove anything about Malawi and the card - that is all admitted by the witnesses in their own literature.

All that you would have to prove is the part about the Mexican draft cards.

Or, I guess, about Nathan H. Knorr's "Oath of Allegiance".

For all I know, the Mexican draft card thing may still be going on today...

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Right. But the double standard and hypocrisy was never admitted. To know that some were being tortured and killed in one part of the world, while in another part, some were buying their way out of trouble - and the Society approved of the whole thing - makes me ill. I think any decent JW would be equally as sick about it. How can you rationalize your way of this issue? It's not like "new light." It was a bloodguilt offense by the WT Society. I don't usually speak so strongly against the Org but this thread brought up all those unresolved feelings that I felt (and I guessed repressed) when I read the account the first time two years ago.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Locals pay a steep price for intervention from outsiders. In the U.S., most slain civil rights workers were locals. The college students could leave and go on vacation or return to the safe North. Locals were slaughtered.

I've been active in Amnesty International on and off. They will NOT intervene in certain countries b/c the irrationality of the local govt. to outsiders. Ugana under Idi Amin was one. Alabania another country.

I read an article by a female JW lawyer about Japan and WTBTS during militaristic phase. Not one individual was commended. Bethelites in Brooklyn were not murdered and detained. Individual Japanese JWs were.

Even the ACLU will not take cases that will have someone murdered in a remote area.

Again, though, it is preaching to the choir.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Notice none of the resident trolls ever comment on this scandal and the exposure that sites like this made available for all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit