Here i am....

by makersmark 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• pirata
    pirata

makersmark, welcome to the board!

Here's my thoughts:

-WT getting UN membership for access to library - doesnt bother me - some passports and other governement documents have similar forms and requirements....

This isn't a huge biggie for me either. But I do find it a bit disturbing because of what I see as a double standard for the organization and for individual members. For example:

*** w79 1/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
    In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called “Christian” association would amount to apostasy.

I guess the real biggie for me here here is the myriad of rules that have been built up over the years instead of trusting the brothers to use their bible based conscience in various matters

-blood issue - some counterpoints to the JW 'rules' makes sense (original intent of scripture is unbled animals, white blood cells similar in mothers milk) etc -however a lot of 'apostate' reasonings and proof are inaccurate

Would need a bit more detail on what you believe is innacurate. I do feel that the intent of the mosaic laws on blood is that pouring out the blood was an atonement for a life that was taken. The Christian repitition of a few of the Jewish rules should be understood based on how the Jews interpreted the Mosaic law, and since a life is not taken in a blood transfusion, then their is no lost life to atone for (as even the most hard-core conservative Jews also see the matter). Life should be more important that it's symbol (Ironically, organ transplants, which are often taken from people who died are not seen as a problem because they don't involve the "symbol" of life, blood (though they are usually saturated with white blood cells))

- 587 vs 607 BCE leading to 1914: some points make sense - is there an actual hard and fast proof from a scholarly source of Babylons destuction date? - i've read the KISS method of explaining - to me it's as confusing as what JW's are accused of...

You will definitely want to read Carl O. Johnson's book (the gentile times reconsidered). It provides 18 seperate lines of scholarly proof for the 587 BCE date in excrutiating detail, as well as an explanation of the 70 years of Babylon that jives both with Bible and Secular chronology. It also addresses the Society's printed arguments against 587 BCE. PM if you want more details (to PM you can click on my avatar, then select "send message".).

- when a poster uses derogatory word-play on witness terms - what is the purpose? Kingdumb Hell? PLEASE - being offensive and childish is no way to influence a questioning mind. I understand the rage and past hurt but cmon - be mature....

agreed, immature and turns off curious JWs. I think it's some form of therapy for exJws...

- disfellowshipping - a hot issue - yes it can be a terrible consequence for some people - as an elder i have been involved in DF'ing situations - but honestly, believe it or not - this form of discipline has improved the persons life (turned them around from drug abuse or extreme unprotected sex) - however if DF-ing is misused by imperfect men and a wrong is indeed committed - i can understand the opposition. When i've read thru the many posts discussing DF'ing i have noticed that never is the JW explanation for this practise ever mentioned.......

I have talked to more than one Christian who has helped their fellow Christians deal with serious problems and or sin. They didn't need to disfellowship them. I'm not convinced the JWs practice of disfellowshipping is indeed scriptural, at least in it's current form. The scriptures talk of not associating with "so-called brothers" (which I interpret as hypocritical christians), the anti-christ (which JWs define as members of religious and political organizations today; in Christian times, it was those who preached that Jesus was not resurrected). A "rebuke given by the many" is sufficient. I do not beleive their is enough scriptural support for a forced shunning of those who are disfellowshipped. We all know that JWs now explain this as a loving provision to discipline the wrongdoer, but I feel that withdrawing familial love is not necessary to show one's dissaproval of a wrong course. Especially when one who has left no longer believes that the JWs have the true religion, or that God even exists, does disfellowshipping look more like a reason to keep ideas that oppose official doctrine from spreading in the JW community.

- constant attacks of old Russell, Rutherford teachings, etc.... using 100 year old watchtower quotes as proof - cmon - i know we celebrated Christmas, I know about the pyramids, i know JW have similar historical roots to other religions - the point is what we believe NOW...Those quotes from 1898 and even some 1930's 1950's quotes - we dont believe either....... dont use antiquated proof - If you want to sway me or other 'doubters' get some actual proof and ill listen.......
    - finally - constant attacks on the governing body.... yes i know Knorr, Franz were hard core - I actually met and have close relatives that worked along side of them. Yes they said and did weird things, they got senile but not to the devilish picture that is being painted of them... No one is perfect..... When i was at bethel for a brief time - it was amazing, loving - not really the same story that experience after experience in these forums show...

When it comes down to it, these are the people who are claiming to be God's channel, that must be listened to, even when an individual feels that the matter should be a conscience matter or is an incorrect interpretation. Whenever the quote was pulled from was "NOW" for JWs listening at that time. The fact that some of these ideas have changed, been dropped, returned, etc. seriously make me doubt that the Holy Spirit is behind the "new light" that we received. I think it is more that we are receiving the interpretations of whomever is the decisions maker at the time. They may be honest and sincere, but it doesn't mean they have any more special connection to the holy spirit to understand the "deep things of God" than you or I.

Saying that - i do realize that people have got the shaft as a witness, i understand their pain and actually feel quite bad - I'm trying to be a loving shepard, imitating good qualites of the scriptures - i cant help think why bad things happen to good people even in my organization.....

"I'm trying to be a loving shepard, imitating good qualites of the scriptures", a very good quality in an Elder that may get you into trouble one day.

I think most things happen by chance and we label them according to our beliefs. When something goes good we thank God. When something goes bad, we attribute it to time and unforseen occurence or a lack of God's approval or a test from Satan. Good things and bad things happen to good and bad people.

Finally - the 1995 and 2010 changes about generations really really bothers me - scriptures dont say "and this overlapping generation will by no means pass away". Im scared crapless about this - all concept of armagedon coming is changed and not many of my fellow bros and sisters even realized this? am i wrong?

Most are conditioned to accept whatever changes come as new light. I have had to clarify the meaning of the overlapping generation to a few elders in my hall who didn't understand all the details. The latest change prompted me to research the generation teaching and I was very suprised to learn that Russell thought it was originally a literal generation (1874-1914), Rutherford taught it was the "chosen ones" (anointed), then it became the generation of 1914 (with continuous tweaks to extend the time frame), then the wicked people, then the anointed again, then the overlapping thing. This was the first thing (along with the flip-flop of the meaning of the superior authorities (Wordly governments => Jehovah/Jesus => Wordlly governments) that led me to the conclusion that our beliefs were really the "best guesses" of the leadership at the time in order to meet the needs of the organization at the time. I belive the main reasons behind the overlapping teaching was to restore a sense of urgency lost in the 1995 change and to make JWs more mentally comfortable with the original "1914" generation dying off (as was very visibly represented by with the passing of Brother Barr and Brother Jaracz this year).

There you have it folks - my mind is critically open to you - hit me with proof.........

Stick around for a while. Rome wasn't dismantled in a day

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

hey there Makersmark...welcome

You sound so much like I did a couple of years ago. I was already a non-witness but defended the doctrines and still believed it was the truth. I wouldn't tell anyone I met that I used to be a witness because I was afraid of 'reproach on god's name'. I mean really - big deal about the UN right? and disfellowshipping - yeah it's rough but it's supposed to be...tough love and all that. And bringing up old beliefs? Really? Big deal, right? And some people here are just so angry and that was a turn off too. At first. After all, I was never really treated badly, especially by those I had grown up with and known my whole life and some of my best memories are still times spent with my JW friends who I still love and miss dearly. Sure there are some bad apples but bad apples exist everywhere, right?

I had a series of aha moments. I mentioned to someone, just casually really, that the society changed their teaching on organ donations. I knew this before but saying it out loud again got me thinking. What about people who needed a kidney transplant in the 70's? What happened to them? And no explanation in the literature about why they changed their stand. All of a sudden that seemed unfair to me and I didn't have the energy to defend it anymore. It was wrong, plain and simple. It wasn't a 'they got new light' moment - they actually went back to an old understanding from the 50's when organ donation was allowed and considered a miracle of modern science. Light getting brighter doesn't go dark then back to light again. My next aha moment was the biblical flood. to me, that had been a fact but so much of it makes no sense whatsoever and instead of burying those thoughts, I went with them and the conclusion was so obvious that I felt like an idiot for not seeing it before. After that, the (pardon the pun) floodgates opened and I really started thinking. I mean really thinking.

You're asking for proof but all you really need to do is think. You've had your first aha moment and it's scary. But really, don't stop pulling at the thread. And remember one thing - the watchtower doesn't give the catholic church a pass for the inquisition just because it happened hundreds of years ago. Therefore, they shouldn't get a pass for things that happened 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago either. It's only fair...

• TD
    TD

Greetings!

I love your nic. I've always wanted to take the tour of Maker's Mark

-blood issue - some counterpoints to the JW 'rules' makes sense (original intent of scripture is unbled animals, white blood cells similar in mothers milk) etc -however a lot of 'apostate' reasonings and proof are inaccurate

I would love to hear you elaborate when you have time. I have yet to encounter a single JW argument on this subject that is (A) valid and (B) not contradicted at least indirectly elsewhere in their literature.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

Welcome.

NLW's wife

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum Makersmark.

i've read the KISS method of explaining - to me it's as confusing as what JW's are accused of...

It wasn't Allymom's idea for you to just read it.

The idea was for you to gather the most reliable data you can get your hands on and tabulate it yourself to either confirm it or refute it.

If you look closely at every method the WT uses to arrive at 607, you can always find at least one assumption. It can take months to go through each method looking for the assumptions and verifying them.

Can you find any evidence to fault the data or the calculations that are used to draw up the king list as Allymom and Farkel had them (Other than, it must be wrong otherwise the WT is)?

My point being .... that if there is no error, then the WT needs to explain why.

As for disrespectful behaviour by some posters, we are all in different stages of our recovery. Expect all of the emotions you will find in any person who grieves a loved one, including anger. We are human, after all and newly exiting JWs are highly unlikely to have any relevant psychological training to deal with the event. Have a little patience with them.

Cheers

Chris

• makersmark
    makersmark

wow

so many responses in about an hour.... i gots some reading/thinking to do...

peace...

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith
    - constant attacks of old Russell, Rutherford teachings, etc.... using 100 year old watchtower quotes as proof - cmon - i know we celebrated Christmas, I know about the pyramids, i know JW have similar historical roots to other religions - the point is what we believe NOW...Those quotes from 1898 and even some 1930's 1950's quotes - we dont believe either....... dont use antiquated proof - If you want to sway me or other 'doubters' get some actual proof and ill listen.......

I am new here and my spiritual upbringing and thinking sounds similar to yours: baptized at 15, pioneered 4 years, assembly parts, multiple visits to Bethel, International conventions, foreign language territory, etc. I dismissed a lot with the same reasoning as you and find some of the more bitter members on this board rather off-putting. Sometimes I will read something on here that makes me wonder if I am making the right decision because the comment is so stereotypical for how we have heard apostates described.

That being said, you said we shouldn't focus so much on the past. That makes sense except when you consider the way the WBTS explains the past. I have read the Proclaimers book 3 times, the 1975 yearbook twice, and the Faith on the March book twice. According to the Revelation book, Jesus inspected the spiritual temple in 1919 and appointed his "good and faithful servant" over all his domestics. But if the WT was found acceptable in 1919 when jesus inspected them why does the current organization bear so little resemblance to the one inspected in 1919? They did celebrate the holidays, and birthdays, and believed the pyrmamid was God's witness, and Russell himself was the faithful slave. Rutherford taught at that time that 1925 was going to be the end and (according to the Proclaimers book) built Beth-Sarim to house the old testament princes. 1914 wasn't considered the year of Jesus invisible presence until 1943.

You can say this is all old info and unnecessary to dredge up but it's what was believed when Jesus supposedly inspected his people and raised them above all other religions. If he found those teachings "food at the proper time" why have they been changed? And if that inspection never happened, or JW's were not found to have the truth then all their claims as God's representatives are erroneous. The scriptures themselves describe the importance of a good foundation to any structure. Would you say the JW organization was built on a solid foundation? If so, why does the modern day organization bear no resemblance to the one Jesus inspected?

I will tell you what started me down this road: it was learning about William Miller, the Millerites, and the Great Disappointment. I wrote an article on it for my blog

www.lunaticfaith.wordpress.com

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I bid you welcome makersmark.

What convinces me that the JW religion isn't what it claims to be?

John 13:35-36 NWT

34 I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another.
    35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.

As the Black Eyed Peas once asked; "Where Is The Love"? By the time I was on my way out, I didn't see much of it amongst the so-called brothers and sisters. The people in the congregation were so bound up by WTS laws, traditions and social climbing that love was almost non-existent. Think about this: if you express any doubts whatsoever about WTS doctrine or question the authority of any elder, do you not think that you would end up a pariah? You don't even have to do that; just being somewhat "different" will have you labelled as "bad association", even if you have done nothing wrong at all. Rumours and innuendo flood through congregations unabated, despite leadership stridently preaching against gossip, and gossip does hurt! Also, can a JW just leave the religion with his dignity intact? You know the answer. The organization flagrantly violates Jesus' commandments regarding love at almost every turn. It's time you woke up and smelled the toast: It's burning!

V665V665

• satinka
    satinka

makersmark,

Members on this forum take potshots at the JWs because we can... now.

While in the organization, we were mute...stifled...suppressed...constricted...restricted...voiceless...compliant...sheeple I see by your comments, in your role as elder, you would still like to tell us how we "should" live...by jw standards...shut our mouths, stay mute...stifled...suppressed...constricted...restricted...voiceless...compliant...sheeple

Now, we are on this forum among like-minded people where the healing process is enabled. We are free to speak our minds and express what is in our hearts. On this forum we are validated and allowed to grow and heal. We can be ourselves, not some jw robot.

I no longer listen to elders because Ihave left the jws --- and I have left for valid reasons. I don't have to explain to you why I left. Suffice to say, the reasons were valid. I wanted to grow and find out who I really was aside from my muteness.

If there is a "potshot" tone to us, look in the mirror, because I see it in you, too.

satinka

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Welcome Makersmark (a very tasty choice!)

I will only echo what a number of our highly intelligent and well versed posters have recommended...read Crisis of Conscience, The Gentile Times Revisited and peruse JWFacts.com. These really brought clarity to me as I searched for the truth. Being raised as a JW from age 9, I never really knew anything else. Once I was DF'ed, I decided I needed to make a decision and either embrace the WTS teachings or prove to myself they didn't ring true. Reading and researching is quite the eye-opener...and ultimately convinced me I couldn't go back. Being shunned by family and former friends does nothing to make me want to return to the JW's...though it is interesting that I am not quite so shunned by my family when they need something from me!

I wish you well in your journey...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit