SPAWN

by White Dove 53 Replies latest social family

• White Dove
    White Dove

Broken Promises,

How heart breaking. I can't imagine my own dad treating me that way.

I don't know which is more painful, a grown child treating a parent like mine did or a father treating a grown kid like yours did to you.

There is that one bond between the two that gets strained and sometimes damaged by treatment by either one.

It's devastating no matter the reason.

Hope things are better between you and your dad.

My boy has a lot of growing up to do, but I fear the damage he'll do getting there.

Dovey

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Thanks WD.

Things eventually got patched, but it was never the same. He died 18 months ago.

I'm sure with a bit of maturity and some hard life lessons, your son will come round.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Dear White Dove,

That was a nasty episode and I know your heart is permanently scarred. I have a lot of scars, physically and emotionally but while they don't disappear with time, they are kind of a strong point where the raw edges joined and healed. If that makes sense. I have a manipulative son who has some of the qualities(?) that yours does, but fortunately not to that degree and he is 23 now and moving forward and making his quirks and personality traits work for him (Ok, if you think Special Forces is an improvement over slacking, anyway).

With time he will grow up and that forced regret that you sense now will be real. The only thing that may prevent that is that it sounds as if he has some personality quirks that are a little beyond manipulative. I would perhaps be concerned about serious mental health issues. Once they get older, if they start drinking heavily, (seen this in my family) it can trigger bigger problems. One of my cousin's doctors said that Schizophrenia is often seen after a person begins drinking alcohol and his thought was that it triggered it(this could be a gross simplification of what was said as it was told to me 3rd or 4th hand-so take that for what it is worth).

Let yourself forgive and heal-this is part of our job as parents. Doesn't mean you have to forget that he is capable of this kind of betrayal. You still have to fortify your heart against this kind of thing. Just love him because obviously he needs it. Don't let him manipulate and hold him accountable for things he does and says.

My best to you!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Try to remember when he was a baby and small child and sweet.

Meanwhile, flowers cause endorphin release. You know I understand.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Can you hear music? If you can here is a song that always perks me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk

• FlyingHighNow
  • White Dove
    White Dove

Thank you true friends

Yes, I'll always love him and told him that, too.

Hang in there, FHN. Hopefully, kids will age out of things like this.

While I can't hear music right, I still remember that beautiful song and sing it occasionally.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My grandson spoke to my daughter this weekend. She told him I have changed. I am not like I was when she was growing up. Well, when she was growing up, all my time and energy were devoted to her and her brother. Now that she's grown, she wants that kind of attention and I cannot give it to her. I have to take care of me now. I am divorced and on my own. Isn't it supposed to be time for me now? As for my grandson, he is my grandson and my emotional ties to him are different from the ones I feel towards my children. I am discovering that inbuilt in a grandparent is a supplement kind of thing. An enhancement to the parents type role. We are supposed to love them, guide them a little and send them home. Does it make me cranky to be thrust into being a fulltime single "mother" to a grandson? I must admit, at times it does send me to the limits of my patience.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, why don't I just go to the Scientology website whose ad is located on the top right of this thread? NOT.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Okay, none of my biz, but if your daughter (mother of grandson???) complains, umm...why isn't she raising her own son?

Just a comment to throw at her if you feel particularly nasty due to her ungratefulness at times.

Sorry, again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit