If you could choose one book to suggest to a JW...

by SweetBabyCheezits 44 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I'm sure this isn't an uncommon question but I'll ask anyway.

Suppose you had the chance to suggest ONE book, essay, article, or other writing with the goal of helping a loved one wake up... which one would it be?

Bear in mind the goal is to subvert the programmed hair-trigger defenses that cause a complete shutdown of critical thinking. This automatically excludes anything that would directly place the WT Society or its history in a negative light. No Ray Franz, Don Cameron, etc.... But books that are based on high control groups, analagous to the org., are fine.

What say you?

• undercover
    undercover

1984 by George Orwell

It's a fictional tale but it will resound with anyone who finds themselves in a situation that they feel isn't quite right...like they're being manipulated.

It won't faze a fat and happy dub, those that have never had a real cognizant thought outside of how to present a WT magazine to a stranger but to anyone who might have doubts or isn't sure about the doctrine after all the changes over the years, this book is sure to make them wonder...

• The Finger
    The Finger

JW's should view world wisdom as nothing as compared to the wisdom of God therefore no book should make a difference. Other than Bible reading and prayer.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A non-NWT Bible. Then read it without referring to the Watchtower dublications.

---or-----

One that is about the Moonies and not JW's = Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The obvious would be "Combatting Cult Mind Control", and offer it to them as an interesting read about the Moonies and how it applies to other religions like Mormons. Although I don't know if that'd be too vague. But if they don't get the point, then the probably aren't ready.

• zoiks
    zoiks

The Finished Mystery

• unshackled
    unshackled

The book that really made the light go off for me and scrutinize the JWs was "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. A deep look into the history of the mormons wrapped around telling the story of some grisly murders by a fundamentalist because god told him to do it.

I had already been faded for a few years but had yet to see the big picture. This book prompted me to realize the JWs were just like the mormons. It all started by googling "Charles Taze Russell"...which oddly took a few seconds to get the courage up. Kept pulling the thread and the whole sweater unravelled!

Though I doubt this book would get into a JDubs head....they'd just chalk it up to another crazy religion. And then be thankful they have the "right one".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You know what?

A "worldly" relative gave me "Under the Banner of Heaven" around 15 years ago and I never got around to reading it. I wonder if he was trying to wake me up..

Maybe I'll pull it off the shelf and give it a read.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would have to agree that suggesting the book about a person who left the Moonies, COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL, would be the choice.

If that's too strong an option (somehow JW's won't read anti-cult books despite their claim that they are not a cult) then I tried to get my mom to read MISTAKES WERE MADE, BUT NOT BY ME. I didn't get any wonderful result I had hoped for.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Since Witnesses are so controlled by what they're allowed to read I'd suggest what snapped me out of it and got me really thinking. It was just an article on a woman who used to be into Scientology- I believe she was really involved, pretty high up. I can't remember exactly which article it was but there's a million of them online all very similar stories. Anyone reading some of those experiences will realize the similarity between the witnesses with the control tactics and what they do when you try to leave. It freaked me out enough to finally admit Witnesses were a cult too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit