What was the first single you ever bought, and what are your memories?

by lifelong humanist 45 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

I was six years old and I bought "How much is that doggie in the window " by pattie page

at a rummage sale for a nickle, it was the first thing that I ever bought on my own that

wasn't candy

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Jailhouse Rock by Elvis, boy am I old huh

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Its all right by the Impressions 1963. Singles cost 49 cents back then, gas was 32 cents a gallon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZ9wOlDxG0

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Celebration by Kool and the Gang. I drove my poor family nuts by playing it over and over.

When I was a really little kid I inherited a bunch of 45's somehow, among them Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. My sister and I would put it on, and then turn the lights on and off really fast for a strobe effect to accompany the music, LOL.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those of you who have replied to my thread. It has been a pleasure to read through your memories. Many of your first purchases were great tunes!

It hadn't occurred to me that many chose to save up a bit more and buy LPs instead of singles.

I can't remember exactly whether my first LP was Crosby, Stills & Nash, a Bob Dylan, Beatles or Drifters album. I sold off my vinyl collection over 25 years ago - how I regret that decision now! I kept them in tip-top condition.

lifelong humanist

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Oh, and I nearly forgot to thank the posters that bought cassette tapes! I used to keep a few in the car, before CDs became the norm.

lifelong humanist

• streets76
    streets76

First single: around 1970, "Amos Moses" by Jerry Reed. Loved that guitar lick.

First LP: also around 1970, "Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin"

By the next year, I had moved on to rock and roll, especially Three Dog Night.

• bsmart
    bsmart

"sukiyaki" early 60's bought with babysitting money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ91ikAhJ5Q cant embed them but that the one alright.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

OH Oh, what a fun thread. My first single was a 45. In the seventies, before I was a teenager, I bought Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen! And it was AWFUL. BR DOES NOT fit on a 45, so they had this cut up version of it. I was on a bowling league, and my mother had just started rewarding me for every 100 I bowled with a 45 from the record store next to the bowling alley. I didn't understand that the song would be too long for the 45.

I also remember my first LP. I won it from a radio call-in contest. helpusjesus, it was ALICE COOPER GOES TO HELL. Ha! I remember the first time I played it through, my friends and I just looked at each other confused. But eventually we got it, and we wore that baby out. This was back when needles actually touched great big cd's. LOL

To this day, I know all the words to every song on Alice Cooper Goes To Hell, and I don't need a music prompt. Oh, except I'm still just a shaky on a couple of lyrics that I missed due to "skips". I just hum those parts. tee hee We also thought it was very cool that we were getting away with singing, "YOU, can go to ...."

• zoiks
    zoiks

First album was Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam.

Can't remember buying any singles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit