What was the first single you ever bought, and what are your memories?

by lifelong humanist 45 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Blondie's "Heart of Glass". I was in Grade 5.

The flip side was "11:59". I liked both songs so much, I saved up to buy the album.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

O K , I will bite..

First record I ever bought was a 45 rpm single by The Shadows ...."Apache" .(early sixties) a guitar instrumental that still sounds great today. I do not think the Shadows were ever big in USA but they were the coolest thing at school . The boys left the girls to swoon at Cliff Richard while we played air guitars and imagined ourselves as Hank Marvin..It is odd that in later years he became a J W His red and white Stratocaster was an icon of the times

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Duran Duran "The Reflex" and also Eurythmics "Here Comes the Rain Again". Purchased them both in May 1984. A year later a friend wanted to trade his "New Moon on Monday" single for my "The Reflex" single. I loved the cover of the other single but I decided against it because my single had a mix of the song not found on the album.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

A 45rpm of Herman and the Hermits, She's a Must To Avoid. Definitely not a classic.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Mine was a single on cassette tape- it was the cranberries "linger"- I felt so bad since it was -"alternative" music- I was afraid of getting caught with it and having it thrown out (I heard all those assembly parts about parents burning your tapes if they were too worldly). It was laughable because there was nothing bad about the song- i fell in love with alternative from then on and it was the beginning of a slipperly slope that led me here 16yrs later :) (haha, they were right- wordly music does make you sad, hate your life, and leave the truth)

CHG

• clarity
    clarity

My very first 78 rpm record "Life Could Be A Dream" (Shaboom)by the Crew Cuts.

Loved it so much, I wore it out.

I was only 1 yr old btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_ds7ZF8Xg&feature=more_related

clarity

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Mine was a single on cassette tape- it was the cranberries "linger"- I felt so bad since it was -"alternative" music- I was afraid of getting caught with it and having it thrown out (I heard all those assembly parts about parents burning your tapes if they were too worldly). It was laughable because there was nothing bad about the song- i fell in love with alternative from then on and it was the beginning of a slipperly slope that led me here 16yrs later :) (haha, they were right- wordly music does make you sad, hate your life, and leave the truth)

CHG

Ya know something, I absolutely hated that song, and I still hate it. Arghghhg, its in my head now too, "You know I'm such a fool for youuuuuuu....did you have to, did you have to, did you have to let it lingerrrrrrrrrrrr"

• The Finger
    The Finger

Queen,

Killer Queen

I remember finding the first albums in a shop in the USA and I liked the look of the band and the Swan.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I bought mostly albums like The Police (Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity), the Eurythmics (1984 and Be Yourself Tonight). I can't remember the first 45 I ever bought but I think the last one I did buy was "Buddy Buddy" by De La Soul.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Santana Abraxas. Later, my older brother told me that I had to throw out the cover because it had a 'naked' woman on it.

Adiva

LOL the same reason my mom gave me, but I was allow to keep the record(which I still have). The first 45 I remember buying was "Standing in the Shadow of Love " by the Four Tops. I paid 35 cent for it out of my weekly allowance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit