What was the first single you ever bought, and what are your memories?

by lifelong humanist 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoky
    Smoky

I went crazy and bought my 1st 2 Cassete tapes back in 91.

Kept it a secret, and never played it out loud at home....i was such a scary cat back then.

1st - EMF...Unbelievable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfOqPhV3jY

2nd - REM ...out of time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-e_HUeuyw

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

it was either "Does Anybody Really Know What Time it is" by Chicago or "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" CSN&Y. First album? Cosmos Factory by CCR. I was 12. My sister and mom bought all the singles in the house and I had no money of my own till then. Still love the songs!

Suite Judy lyrics:

It's getting to the point
    Where I'm no fun anymore
    I am sorry
    Sometimes it hurts so badly
    I must cry out loud
    I am lonely
    I am yours, you are mine
    You are what you are
    And you make it hard.

Remember what we've said and done and felt
    About each other
    Oh babe, have mercy
    Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now
    I am not dreaming.
    I am yours, you are mine
    You are what you are
    You make it hard.

Tearing yourself away from me now
    You are free and I am crying
    This does not mean I don't love you
    I do, that's forever,
    Yes and for always
    I am yours, you are mine
    You are what you are
    You make it hard.

Something inside is telling me that
    I've got your secret.
    Are you still listening?
    Fear is the lock, and laughter the key to your heart
    And I love you.
    I am yours, you are mine, you are what you are
    You make it hard
    And you make it hard (x 3).

Friday evening, Sunday in the afternoon
    What have you got to lose?
    Tuesday morning, please be gone I'm tired of you.
    Can I tell it like it is? (Help me I'm suffering)
    Listen to me baby.
    It's my heart that's a suffering (Help me I'm dying)
    It's a dying, that's what I have to lose
    I've got an answer
    I'm going to fly away
    What have I got to lose?
    Will you come see me Thursdays and Saturdays?

Chestnut brown canary
    Ruby throated sparrow
    Sing the song don't be long
    Thrill me to the marrow.

Voices of the angels, ring around the moonlight
    Asking me, said she's so free
    How can you catch the sparrow?

Lacy, lilting, lyric, losing love, lamenting
    Change my life, make it right
    Be my lady.

Que linda me la traiga Cuba,
    La reina de la Mar Caribe.
    Cielo sol no tiene sangre allĂ­,
    y que triste que no puedo vaya,
    Oh va, oh va, va.

Translation:
    (Oh, what beauty Cuba brings me,
    The queen of the Caribbean Sea,
    Sunny sky has no blood over there,
    And how sad that I cannot go,
    Oh go, oh go, go.)

• Violia
    Violia

I was not allowed to buy music when I was a teen. In 1978 Bat Out Of Hell ( Meat Loaf) came out and I was an adult then so I bought it. I was so afraid of it due to demons I threw it out when all the Bethel folks were cleaning house. One of my kids later found a nice copy for me at a garage sale, so I still have it. It is a 78, the album.

• flipper
    flipper

I bought record albums, not singles as a young teenager. My 1st record was Led Zeppelin's " Stairway to Heaven " album called Led Zeppelin IV. I have memories of my elder dad glaring at me listening to my stereo headphones and not knowing I was listening to " Black Dog " by Zeppelin.

If he knew I was listening to these words : " Hey hey mama , say the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove. Ah ah child the way you shake that thing, gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting . " LOL ! If he knew I heard hose words- he might have ripped off not only my headphones, but my head as well ! Led Zeppelin went on to become my all time favorite group as well as the Beatles

• White Dove
    White Dove

You Can Do Magic 45 lp

I used to dance to it in my room at age 15.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn. I bought it in 1991 - I was in 8th grade.

It was hard to buy music since my parents did not let me have a radio in my room. The only one we had was in the living room so any music you listened to was "family approved". So whatever I ended up buying , my mom wanted to hear it on the way home from the store in the car stereo - to make sure it was appropriate. To that point, I had only a tape recorder in my room and had been doomed to listen to only Kingdom Melodies and drama tapes.

I did finally get a radio in my room when I went into my Junior year in High School cause I needed an alarm and I had convinced my mom that all alarms had radios on them now. I am not sure that was the truth.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I, too, bought albums. My parents played no music except polkas. My mom had classical recordings which my father demolished. The Beatles Yesterday and Today. I was a fan from before their first appearance on Ed Sullivan. We saw newscasts of the British girls going crazy so we started screaming and screeching too. I had to wait until I had a part-time job to afford the Beatle album.

I also like The Stones and The Who. I'd pick up the Who albums to purchase so many times but I could not figure out how to explain the art to my parents. They would find Picasso revolting and a joke. The girls all listened to one radio station on large transister radios. I felt a sense of community. The Beatles were very middle class and I lived near a ghetto. Years after the Beatles reigned supreme elsewhere, my little neighborhood was a hot bed of Frankie Vallie devotes. I did not realize it then but all these class and status issues were going on.

I despise r&b. A delegation of white students asked our principal if white rock could have equal time with r&b in the cafeteria.He said no. The strange thing is that today I love Motown. Now it is rap I despise far more.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Addenda --

I never thought the Kingdom Hall music was good. No one could play the piano or read music. One person had to do everything. Then the Society came up with a bunch of Kingdom songs. New light was that the old song book with a light green cover was very bad. It had works by Beethoven and Handel. Such reprehensible people. My overseer never heard of Beethoven. He pronounced it beet (as the vegetable) ho- ven. I slinked down in my seat. Their ignorance fueled my desire to learn Beethoven.

Later in life, I attended NY Philharmonic concerts at Lincoln Center and attended concerts in Central Park.

The new book was bright fuschia if I remember correctly. It is not a dignified color. Now I'm Anglican and I'm used to a professional choir. They realized it was too WASPy as the only music source. Now we have a separate songbook of Negro spirituals. It is so funny to me. The only WASPy correct, stuffy stereotype seeking soul with a formal songbook.

• undercover
    undercover

I saw this thread a few hours ago and tried to remember. I still can't remember... but I remember my first few albums.

My first album was a Johnny Cash album, followed by Elvis Presley, followed by The Beatles, followed by Dylan... pretty good for a little kid, donchathink?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I can't remember my first single but I know I had Bohemian Rhapsody, Lonely Boy, Let 'Em In, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Fox on the Run, Welcome Back Kotter theme. I guess I started buying singles around 75 or 76.

My first album was REO Speedwagon's "High InFidelity"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit