What was the first single you ever bought, and what are your memories?

by lifelong humanist 45 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Some light relief!

Even now, I can vividly recall buying my very first 45 RPM single in 1967.

I was only just 15 years old. I worked as a 'paper boy', delivering newspapers to people living nearby. I earned about £1.00 per week, for a six day job - starting work about 06:00. To me, that was quite a lot of money back then. So, buying my first single was quite an expensive purchase for me.

Excitedly, I sneaked it into the family home and played it on my mum & dad's stereo player (without their permission, of course). While it sounds totaly crazy now, for a JW family in the late 60's , this was quite a 'daring' thing to have and use in the home!

Anyway, I can still recall the sound as Scott McKenzie's 'San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) record's music filled my ears. It was a great record. I still think so, today. The flip-side was pretty good , too.

I remember this for mostly one reason - some American (USA) mum & dad had agreed to send their teenage daughter (from San Diego, California) to visit my JW friend's family in the Glasgow area - I think as some sort of au pair. I can't remeber her name. She wasn't a 'looker', but I thought she was really something!

I was invited to join an 'older' JW in the family's second car (a Morris Minor, convertible) to accompany this girl on a visit to the beautiful Loch Lomond area. There were ather passengers, but I can't recall exactly who they were. The record was playing on the car's radio. The San Diego girl seemed to like the music, too. The driver, did not.

Memories, memories!

What was the first single you bought?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

• JRK
    JRK

My first record was not a single. I bought an album. "Louie, Louie" by The Kingsman, at the age of 6. I was even cool then. Rock on.

JK

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Wow, thats a good question. I rarely bought singles, and I can't think of the first one I copped. I do remember distinctly looking for Rage Against The Machine's Ghost of Tom Joad and No Shelter, as well as Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter. I was happified upon purchasing all of them. To this day, I still don't know what the lyrics to that Pearl Jam song. He was an incoherent vocalist if there ever was one.

Funny how the internet has changed music. It wouldn't cross my mind to go into a record store or Best Buy for a single nowadays.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So true, misery! I can't remember the last time I bought an album. I use Rhapsody...which is the best thing in the world. LOVE IT!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

1973 (I was 8), My brother brought home Roberta Flack's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

I loved the lyrics - I was sure love would be just like the lyrics of that song someday.

• compound complex
    compound complex

All I Have to Do is DREAM, by the Everly Brothers.

I still have it.

CoCo

• sd-7
    sd-7

My first single? Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes, "Cantina Band #1 and Cantina Band #2". It was actually John Williams who wrote the music for that one, though. This was long before I owned a CD player of my own, so I had to use the Playstation One video game system to play the CD. Neat thing about it was that the actual CD was mostly clear with a picture of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes in the center of it. I need to listen to that one again. If memory serves correctly, I think I bought it when I was on a school trip to New York City. 1998, I suppose. Star Wars and I were madly in love, and unlike girls , Star Wars loved me, too.

Ah. Memories. Such horribly bittersweet memories. What I wouldn't give to reach back and strangle my past neck.

--sd-7

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Paperback Writer, with Rain on the flip side. 1966. I was 14 and also a paperboy. It was, I believe, the first Beatles hit that wasn't a love song. I played it so much it ended up being one big scratch.

• Adiva
    Adiva

Santana Abraxas. Later, my older brother told me that I had to throw out the cover because it had a 'naked' woman on it.

I also remember buying the Police's Ghost in the Machine album and told by the same brother that the album had to go because of the word ghosts.

Sheesh. BTW, he's still an asshole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit