Paul, leading authority on Christianity, does NOT quote Jesus!

by Terry 204 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Paul was Paul and Shelby has give a great view on why Paul was Paul.

Sure some of the apsotles had issues with him, wouldn't you have issues with one of the persecuters of your beliefs?

It took awhiel and they warmed up to him ,even if they didn't agree on HOW he preached the Gospel all the time.

Paul's preaching was based on what he heard from Christ as it was FILTERED through him, though he also didpreach the variosu creeds he learned from the apostles when he visited them 3 years after his conversion.

Paul didn't always "speak for Christ" a few times he spoke based on HIS views and there were times he made that clear and other times, not so much.

We do have to rememeber that Paul gave us one of the best and most Christ-like definitions of Love, we also have to remember that Paul's letters are letters to people that he KNEW and they KNEW HIM and as such, don't have to say everything about Christianity or Christ for that matter since we can safely assume that Paul had discussed these things in PERSON while preaching there.

• designs
    designs

PSac-

We had a 'Paul' type in our Leadership for some 60+ years, Fred Franz, they are more in love with their own ideas than is necessary.

Like Rabbi Hillel said- do good to others and you have fulfilled the entire Torah, kind of simple isn't it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac-
    We had a 'Paul' type in our Leadership for some 60+ years, Fred Franz, they are more in love with their own ideas than is necessary.

I don't recall Freddy ever writing about Love liek Paul did, or admitting how failed he was, or making it clear that it is vai our faith that we are justified, do you?

Like Rabbi Hillel said- do good to others and you have fulfilled the entire Torah, kind of simple isn't it.

It's a great place to start, but it doesn't end there and yes I agree it is simple, truth usually is, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be repeated and people don't thave to be reminded.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Very simple; we complicate it. Note: Jesus of Nazareth said it first.

Matthew 7:12 "Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God's Law and Prophets and this is what you get." The Message Bible

Matthew 22:37 -40 Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them. The Message Bible

Syl

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Jesus of Nazareth said it first.

I beg to differ. While not using those exact words, Buddha taught the same concept 400-600 years before Jesus walked the earth.

Parallel Sayings of Buddha and Christ

http://www.heartlandsangha.org/parallel-sayings.html

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I beg to differ. While not using those exact words, Buddha taught the same concept 400-600 years before Jesus walked the earth.

I think that Syl might be referring to Jesus the WORD of God and not just Jesus the man that walked the earth in the 1st century AD.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think that Syl might be referring to Jesus the WORD of God and not just Jesus the man that walked the earth in the 1st century AD.

Correct.

Jesus is Jehovah; Jehovah is Jesus.

Syl

• jay88
    jay88

If one is a follower of Christ and not a Jew, in addition to the Teachings of Jesus become a noahide, and leave Paul out of the equation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It all comes to Jehovah confusing the real meaning of Jesus' life. Jesus actually came to attempt to free us from Jehovah--and was willing to die trying. The essence of Jesus' true message is that we need to think independently, becoming like God so we can enter his Kingdom (which is very close to the exact same message Satan preached in Eden). Paul took it and transformed it to another system of rules, and a Jesus that died, not trying to save us from Jehovah, but successfully saving us from original sin.

Big mistake, Paul!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So summing up the discussion:

Yes, Paul did quote Jesus. Some people don't like what he said, so they throw his writings out as uninspired. Some people think that he wrote in the loving spirit of Christ. Some think that we can take parts of what he said as scripture, but other parts are ok to throw out.

Do I have all this right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit