Paul, leading authority on Christianity, does NOT quote Jesus!

by Terry 204 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Paul's letters practically invent christianity.

The Gospels trickled in after him.

Paul never walked with Jesus and yet explains him.

Never a quote from the Master at all.

Yet, Paul is such a maven.

If Jesus couldn't be bothered to actually reveal what He was all about to his Apostles with whom he ate, drank, spoke and slept---why this persecutor, Saul?

The Apostles heard every word Jesus spoke and were willing to die for Him.

Paul didn't--yet--miraculously explained every detail of the entire history of God's purpose including his messiah.

Can anybody provide a non-gimmick answer?

• whereami
    whereami

Get ready for the onslaught Terry.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Both Acts and the epistles of Paul are Jesus-centered and consistent with all that Jesus taught. Acts describes the emergence of the apostolic church and Paul explains the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ in ways that made them easily accessible to the diverse Gentile communities of the Roman Empire.

In neither case would it have been practical for Luke or Paul to duplicate the detailed records of Jesus’ teaching and ministry that were cherished and carefully preserved by the church.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Also, he DID quote Jesus:

1 Corinthians 11:23-25 (New International Version, ©2010)

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The web has become rife with Christians who have recognized Paul as a false apostle. The real problem is, they have no idea that early Christians were gnostics. Paul was definitely a gnostic. He states at Colossians 1:23 that this "good news" had already been "preached in all creation that is under heaven". Clearly then, he could not have had Jesus the man in mind, but Jesus the Christ....the Cosmic Christ of myth.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

What a load of false information that was. Paul was not a gnostic. Sounds like you may have been reading a bit too much Ehrman.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

PAUL IS A LIER.

REVELATION 2:2.

• Terry
    Terry

Paul may have had "communion" meals with James and Peter a few times which would account for the single quote. (Thanks, I missed that one.)

Paul never mentioned :

Miracles
    Parables
    Birth, Mary and Joseph
    The Lord's Prayer
    The Transfiguration
    The Sermon on the Mount
    See of Galilee
    Temple visit, Nazareth
    Pontius Pilate
    Judas Iscariot’s betrayal
    Gethsemane
    Son of Man

Differences in Baptism teachings of Paul and Jesus:

1 Corinthians 1:17
    For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not in wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made void.

Matthew 28:19
    Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

• TD
    TD

Jesus and Paul exhibited radically different viewpoints on the keeping of the Law. Jesus declared that, "whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments...shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:19) Jesus exhibited a knowledge not only of the written Law (i.e. The Torah) but the Oral Law as well and appears to accept it as binding (Matthew 12:5; 24:20; 23:16)

Paul not only wrote entire treatises teaching that the Law was no longer in force and he not only repeatedly advocated breaking the Law, he went out of his way to insult and offend the faction in early Christianity that disagreed with him.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

brotherdan

Isn't the wording Paul used in that passage you cited a bit curious? He received it from the Lord. (Implying he didn't receive it from the oral christian tradition of the time). Wouldn't it make more sense that it already would have come from the Apostles who were there? And have already incorporated something so central into their agapes?

Terry

You do have a valid point about the scarcity of quotes, but its not absolutely missing. How's this quote?

Acts 20:35 "In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit