Ok , this Trinity Doctrine is messing me up

by KristiKay 64 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

KristiKay-

As DagothUr and others have said in one fashion or another read the Bible with eyes wide open. If something about it continues to nag you and seems not quite right its because the underscoring themes are psychological threats- as our resident Fundamentalist kindly pointed out: 1Cor.10:12 'take heed lest he fall', 2Peter 3:16+ 'the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction'. Lovely isn't it.

So whether a person reads a singular god into the texts or a dualist idea or a triune etc. it all comes down to a philosophy of: 'Love me or else'.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Hey KRistiKay...I thought you were going to quit your study with this lady?

Thats the only way for you to really have true peace of mind. You see thats the way JW's work they destroy ones religious belief and supplant it with theirs. They use their own twisted logic as a wedge to make you doubt what you believe and eventually that causes doubts to stir with in you and open you up to their interpretations of things.

IMO if you want to reason with-in yourself to refine your personal beliefs thats cool, but dont let a JW, who has proven themselves to be self serving and biased to their own stance, sway you and cause confusion.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    'Love me or else'.

As a born in I could never get my head around the idea that I was supposed to love a god that was going to kill me if I didn't play by his rules, but at least he was only going to turn me into dust.

The fundy god is going to burn my arse in hell for enternity if I don't do a suitable style, or amount, of grovelling. That's not my idea of a friend. Not even an imaginary one.

• designs
    designs

Black Sheep-

Isn't that one of the most amazing connections we made. It was a real sit up in the bed moment..like Homer Simpson says- Doh! Then the scales really did fall from our eyes.

• garyneal
    garyneal

KristyKay,

The WT uses a modalist view of the Trinity to disprove the whole idea. The accepted teachings teach three seperate distinct people who are all God. I guess kind of like a race or a family. Like one race of man consisting of 6 billion humans. That helps to alleviate contradictions in the Bible but it still creates problems from a logical standpoint. John 20:28 definitely proves the deity of Christ along with the verses in Revelations where Jesus takes the title of the Alpha and the Omega, at least to me. I've only found one scripture that proves the deity of the Holy Spirit and it can be read to prove it and it can also be read in a modalist view. That scripture is Acts 5:3-4.

I would not waste my time trying to prove to a witness that the Trinity is correct. I believe in it but I can see how the scriptures could be read to disprove it. The deity of Christ is the main thing that matters to me and is easily shown in scriptures.

Also note that even if the Trinity is false this does not prove the witnesses have the one true religion. There are other religions that do not believe the Trinity either. http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/similar-religions-to-jehovahs-witnesses.php

• designs
    designs

Gary-

How do you navigate some of the more hauteur statements from Jesus.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    How do you navigate some of the more hauteur statements from Jesus.

I've seen your question to other Christians. The one I like concerns Jesus walking into a Jewish temple and rebuking them. How would I handle it? I don't have an answer but I am willing to bet that Jesus would also walk into many churches and rebuke them too.

• designs
    designs

Gary-

Fair enough. The questions I have for Christians are why did Jesus not rebuke and attack the beliefs and practices of the real enemy in Judea- Rome and its Army. Or why shouldn't the Jews have rejected Jesus when he makes blantant prevarications about Judaism.

• tec
    tec
    The questions I have for Christians are why did Jesus not rebuke and attack the beliefs and practices of the real enemy in Judea- Rome and its Army.

Because He came to first save His own - Israel. Do you concern yourself with what other people's children are doing more than you concern yourself with what your own children are doing? Once they rejected Him, others were invited along with them. At any time, any Jewish person can turn to Him... and even according to Paul, ALL Israel will be saved.

"Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty." Proverbs 3:11-12

"My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in." Job 5:17-18

Tammy

• designs
    designs

Tammy-

That premise is the whole problem with the 'Jesus issue'. Martha plainly states that her brother will rise in the resurrection (without Jesus). Jesus doesn't save anybody in that exchange, particularly the Jews who already had a fairly all encompassing theology in place about the afterlife without the Jesus guy.

Jesus came to save the Jews, what hubris and delusion, did Christianity ever get over itself. Some modern Christian Denominations are finally admitting they have to abandon that centrist philosophy in order to be relevant in todays world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit