Fallout 2014

by wobble 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ballistic
    ballistic

I remember asking this same question on this board many years ago about 2014, and here we are, it's getting very close now.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the new system will be here well before 2014,it's so close you can stick your tongue out and taste it, you can almost dip your big toe in it,it's so close you can almost grab it.

• dozy
    dozy

I don't think there will be any fallout as such. The WTBTS has bought another twenty years with the hints at 2034 and the "crossover" generation teaching that still links 1914 but extends the period to (potentially) 140 years (ie 2 lifetimes). The GB have managed to extend the potential date of Armageddon for another 40 years , much as some of the GB members tried to revise 1914 to 1958 back in the late 70's.

But also , in reality , very few JWs really live their lives with the view that the end is very close. It is primarily a social society of people , rather than an apocalyptic sect. People go to the assemblies , applaud loudly , then go home & plan the new conservatory and pay in to their pension plan. A very active JW family (high up HLC elder , wife a reg pio) I know who are high up in the Org are buying a second home to rent out and then retire to. They are in their early 40's. When I asked them if they didn't think Armageddon would be here by then , they just shrugged.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

BrotherDan, why keep that book in the bathroom? The paper is too slippery and not absorbent enough for the obvious use, try using a more textured Awake instead. Just watch out for the staple.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Thanks GOrwell for the clarification. I remember Ray Franz saying in one ofhis books that they do make a practice of distancing themselves from certain problematic teachings by simply "not pushing them" and letting them recede in the collective JW memory. Their backpedalling on the 6,000-year "creative day" teaching is one prominent example.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Interesting discussion, now we are in 2012 and it's only a couple years away...

• d
    d

2014 is going to be interesting to most Jehovah witnesses.

We need to celebrate the centenial reign of Jesus!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Sometime in the late 90's, but before I had internet, I was arguing with my mom and my aunt (they were JWs at the time) and I said, "Well, I guess we won't have to wait to long to see if the Jehovah's Witnesses are right. By 2014 the generation of 1914 will have all died OR the end will have come, and we will know for sure if you are right or if I am right."

They just looked at me and said, "Oh no, dear. That's old light."

I was SHOCKED about the generation change had happened, and even more shocked that it had happened YEARS earlier AND it was such a non-event to them that they had never even mentioned it to me. It was a monumental, earth-shaking change...and they had not even blinked an eye over it. I just could.not.believe.it.

So...I don't think there will be any fallout at all in 2014.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

2014 is only going to be significant to those that already have doubts and are looking for an excuse to leave. Every little helps though.

The majority of witnesses won't find this a difficult subject. The org. can use the date to their advantage anyway. Imagine something like this in the literature:

"It has now been 100 years since Jesus was installed as King in heaven. This means our preaching work is more urgent than ever before! Clearly there can not be much more time left for this wicked system of things."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit