• designs
    designs

Volcanos- the gods of Hades burped

Nice research Zid.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Volcanos- the gods of Hades burped

Nice research Zid.

Totally! I have always enjoyed reading about your research on this. Thanks for sharing it, Zid.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Yes. Good one, PSac. You've just hit on yet another couple of problems with the Bible.
    1) Our perspectives have changed since ancient times and we are more knowledgable which means, we may not be understanding the ancient accounts as they truly happened because our frame of reference is completely different.

Always best totry to understand ancient writing as being written by ancient man for ancient people in the style of ancient writings, many times being the written form of Oral tradtion that was passe don, typically, as a story to make the "reality" more memorable.

2) How many people consult a scholar when reading the Bible? Or even after?

If one STUDIES the bible then one should, if one doesn't then...

If it is true that the flood was local, then the Bible needs to be altered to state this. Also, if true, maybe we should all just put the book down and walk away from it because if this story is messed up, there's gotta be others that are.

When ancient writers wrote that Rome ruled the world, they exagerrated, want to go back and correct that?

It's enough that we dicuss these things and make it understood NOW.

I say this... don't use words such as "all life", "every creature", and "everything on Earth" if you only mean a portion or certain region of the Earth and only the life in said region. Be specific. I mean, this is God telling us this stuff, right?

No, this was MAN relating what happened, that is unless GOD told YOU that stuff, did he?

Also, since there are accounts within the Bible that DO talk certain cities or regions, I have issue with the Genesis account not stating such if what the scholars say is true.

Not sure what you mean...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Yes. I have to chime in on that one, too. There is no scripture that warns or explains how the Bible might exaggerate to make such points. For all these generations, Genesis was literal. Now that it can be proven to be not literal, oh well.... ....it was representative of the great local flood with a mythology built in for some kind of morality lessons.

For all these generations Genesis was literal? dude, even Augustine, 1600 years ago was already stating that it shouldn't be take as such.

I can't wait for more Bible to be dismissed then. One day when they figure out that the Jesus stories are just myths, they can say how they were "teaching fictions" instead of lies.

Too much evidence that it wasn't a myth, but of course, evidence isn't proof so you MAY be right, which would really suck dude !!

• designs
    designs

PS-

Most Jewish scholars and schools teach that Jesus of Nazareth was a real historical person. What they also point out is that what he said, or the words ascribed to him, and his point of view about his own people and religious leaders show many errors and gaps in Judaism.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    Also, since there are accounts within the Bible that DO talk certain cities or regions, I have issue with the Genesis account not stating such if what the scholars say is true.

Not sure what you mean...

In other words, when you read certain scriptures that specifically name a region, it is difficult to accept that the words in Genesis "all life", "every creature", and "everything on Earth" are also regional. Some scriptures that talk specific regions are listed below:

Genesis 36:40 (New International Version, ©2010): These were the chiefs descended from Esau, by name, according to their clans and regions:

Timna, Alvah, Jetheth,

Joshua 13:2 (New International Version, ©2010): “This is the land that remains: all the regions of the Philistines and Geshurites,

Joshua 13:6 (New International Version, ©2010): “As for all the inhabitants of the mountain regions from Lebanon to Misrephoth Maim, that is, all the Sidonians, I myself will drive them out before the Israelites. Be sure to allocate this land to Israel for an inheritance, as I have instructed you,

Ezekiel 19:8 (New International Version, ©2010): Then the nations came against him, those from regions round about. They spread their net for him, and he was trapped in their pit.

Joel 3:4 (New International Version, ©2010): “Now what have you against me, Tyre and Sidon and all you regions of Philistia? Are you repaying me for something I have done? If you are paying me back, I will swiftly and speedily return on your own heads what you have done.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Most Jewish scholars and schools teach that Jesus of Nazareth was a real historical person. What they also point out is that what he said, or the words ascribed to him, and his point of view about his own people and religious leaders show many errors and gaps in Judaism.

We've had this discussion before and it seems that we will have to agree to disagree.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    In other words, when you read certain scriptures that specifically name a region, it is difficult to accept that the words in Genesis "all life", "every creature", and "everything on Earth" are also regional. Some scriptures that talk specific regions are listed below:

I don't know what the mention od specific events from other books has to do with the flood story in Genesis.

Sorry, maybe I am still missing your point?

• Heaven
    Heaven

Sorry, maybe I am still missing your point?

Basically what I am saying is that if those relaying the story of the flood in the Bible, particularly in the book of Genesis, meant that it only occurred in a certain region then say so. Other scriptures have been able to do this about the story they are relating, so why not this story?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Basically what I am saying is that if those relaying the story of the flood in the Bible, particularly in the book of Genesis, meant that it only occurred in a certain region then say so. Other scriptures have been able to do this about the story they are relating, so why not this story?

Ancient story telling dude, that's all.

Roman historians got their facts straight on how and where the Romans fought to create the empire and yet they had no issues with proclaiming Rome ruling the world, same goes for Alexander and so forth.

Genesis was the "putting on paper" of the telling of the creation of the world ( the blending of at least two oral tradtions), a huge flood happened, something unlike the "world" had ever seen and the writers took their "poetic license" as did the passers of the oral tradtion before them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit