1984 WT cover, 1914 Gen That Will Not Pass -- How many of 16 alive today?

by FatFreek 2005 71 Replies latest social current

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Len, perhaps we are getting side-tracked from the point. The purpose of the photo of these 16 elderly people was to show readers (hopefully, interested people in the Witness message), that these old folks may not die from old age but were a "marked generation" who would see a new order. As far as the Writing Dept. was concerned, it was not important for anybody to know who in the photo had the heavenly hope or the earthly hope or even if they were JWs, or maybe even Bethelites. The important thing was that they were born before or during 1914 and were of that generation. So for the WT Writing Dept. of 1984 to be on the safe side, each one in the photo had to be around their mid-70s or older at the time the photo was made.

The end of the last paragraph in the article puts it this way: "Yes, you may live to see this promised New Order, along with survivors of the generation of 1914--the generation that will not pass away." And the words by an illustration on page 7 of the article showing a young couple along with four children says it all: "You along with survivors of the generation of 1914, may live to see a New Order." The point was that the New Order was going to happen very, very soon and those presently living of the 1914 generation were not going to die.

Oh, by the way, any one of the people in the photo could have had an earthly hope, but knowing most of them, I think the majority, other than maybe two, claimed to be anointed. Anyway, I don't think that WT was parading the participants as poster-children of anything other than what I stated above.

Some have asked how were the 16 people picked for the photo? Well, they had to fit the requirements of the Writing Dept. specifically that the Photography Dept. had to use 16 elderly Bethelites, probably in their mid-70s and older, with good reputations who were willing to pose for a Watchtower cover photo. Why do I use the words, "good reputations?" Because some very old Bethelites did not have very good reputations. For example, a very old guy by the name of Peterson, who Arthur Worsley said was a drunk, lived alone, had a job assignment (I think in the Hanger Dept.) and hated everybody. No one even cared if he showed up for work or not. Why did they let him stay at Bethel? I have no concrete idea, but he probably came into Bethel in Rutherford's day, knew where all the skeletons were buried, and didn't have anywhere to go, so they left him alone.

Oh, by the way, the May 15, 1984 Watchtower featuring the cover with the words, “1914 Generation That Will Not Pass Away” was the last in a series of four Watchtowers that made a big deal about 1914.

The April 1, 1984 Watchtower cover was titled: “1914 A Marked Year-Why?”; The April 15, 1984 Watchtower cover was titled: “1914 A Focal Point of Bible Prophecy”; The May 1, 1984 Watchtower cover was titled: “1914 and YOU”; and, of course, the May 15, 1984 Watchtower, titled “1914 The Generation That Will Not Pass Away.”

Watch Tower prophets before and after 1914 were so sure about the year 1914, weren’t they? It was the date that their most important exegesis hung upon, but they were so wrong! We know, without a doubt, they were and still are false prophets. So I say to JWs who are reading this discussion board, “When in doubt, throw it out and join the land of the living.”

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Len, perhaps we are getting side-tracked from the point.

You are so right, Barb. Thanks for righting the ship. And thank you for giving us that excellent background history of what they were thinking at the time, along with a theme of that entire series of Watchtowers.

Len

• Motema Bolingo
  • Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

Presentation on our website "Aggelia" (in French)

http://www.aggelia.be/en_souvenir.html

Jacques

• OBVES
    OBVES

It is certain that this 1914 generation will still exist on September 29,2011 if my prediction based on the Bible comes true that day .

http://www.focusonthebible2011.com .

I think I remember some events when I was 5 .It can be with any human being so we can count the 1909 AD as the beginning for that generation.

1909 AD - 2011 AD = 102 years .

There might be thousands of people at least world-wide with the age of 102 + .

This generation would be widning down fast so this gives extra strength to September 29,2011 prediction.

I am giving at least a 88% chance to that date and 7% to October 21 ,2011 AD . While only 4% to 2034 AD.

May 21 ,2011 AD which is published on http://www.familyradio.com has a chance of 1% if I add some input to it.

But we can talk also about the generation that builds the spiritual ark for 120 years at least .

It is a period of 127 years as 7 days can be changed into 7 years using Ezekiel 4.6.

1884 AD - 2011 AD = 127 years.

This generation that will build the ark in 127 years will not pass away.

The best interpretation seems to be:

this generation of evil shall not pass away ( will not be destroyed ) untill the time when all these things predicted by Jesus will come to pass.

Matthew 24.34.

There will be evil people always till the very end and they will see the end .

• free @ last
  • RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@OBVES - I thought that your post was a joke at first... Are you serious? You are saying you have narrowed the end down to September 29,2011? That seems nuts.

I am not trying to disrespect you but for anyone to publicly state they know the date of Armageddon on a thread about how the WT was wrong about 1914 is... n u t s.

• free @ last
    free @ last

Can someone with some time and photo editing skills repost the 1984 '1914 Generation that would not pass' Watchtower cover with the name, date of birth and date of death of each JW pictured? I think it would have greater impact to see all that info right on the cover drawing.

• free @ last
  • sizemik
    sizemik

As you can see . . . the last one passed away in 2008

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit