1984 WT cover, 1914 Gen That Will Not Pass -- How many of 16 alive today?

by FatFreek 2005 71 Replies latest social current

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

While the "Old farts" cover may be the most damning in regards to the WT "prophecy department", the cover with the children was the final nail on the coffin for m in rgeards to the JW religion.

Any religion that glorifies the death of anyone, especially children, is NOT the religion of My Lord and Saviour.

"I require mercy ( compassion) and NOT sacrfice".

Enough said.

In Judaism it was more important to preserve life than to obey the law.

Well...not really, not if the "other guys" have soemthing you want liek land or foreskins ;)

In certain denominations of christianity it is more noble to die than to live for your beliefs.

Yep, some people will do anything other people tell them.

Somewhere between Judaism and christianity human life got cheaper.

Oh Life has always been cheap my friend, history has taught us that far too many times to count.

It is worth thinking about.

Indeed.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I knew Ann Rose, a lovely woman if there ever was one. Ann told me how fortunate I was to have a child, a joy she said she never experienced because of waiting for the new world and putting the Kingdom work first in her life. She thought I had it all, being a mother and also being at Bethel.

Some think that it is sad that Ann gave her life to a publishing company as her husband, Ray, also did. No matter! They were happy to be in Bethel, although Ray complained about this or that continually, and Rose hushed him up continually. However, they were treated well, especially in their last years on this earth when everything was provided for and they were free of worrying about “What will happen to me?” something that most ordinary souls in old age are concerned about.

It was my understanding that neither Ann nor Ray thought they were of the "heavenly class." That means they died with the hope of future life on a paradise earth. It was many years later after Ann appeared on the 1984 Watchtower cover that she died. Perhaps before her death she might have wondered about the promise given by the Watch Tower that her generation would not pass away until... Who knows! One thing we do know for sure is that Ann and Ray are gone, lives that were but a blip in time. They had good lives even though what they hoped for wasn't true, e.g., "1914, The Generation That Will Not Pass Away."

Ann as well as the other people on that 1984 Watchtower cover were sincere and likeable people.

No one casts aspersions on them or rejoices in their deaths. It's the lie that we take issue with, not the people on the cover of that 1984 magazine who were taken in by the lie. If Ann hadn't bought the whole package of lies hook, line, and sinker, she probably would have had children. Of course, nobody made her believe Watch Tower teachings, and neither did anyone make me believe. However, if Watch Tower did not exist, it would not have sent preachers out to catch the unwary, people like me who had a need to believe in a fantastic message which I know now was and continues to be pure speculation and guesswork. How do I know? Because Watch Tower’s frequent end-time calculations haven’t panned out. That alone demonstrates their forecasts are not incontestable.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In certain denominations of christianity it is more noble to die than to live for your beliefs. Somewhere between Judaism and christianity human life got cheaper.

Huge, huge oversimplification. The kind of religious stands taken unto death in Revelation, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Epistula Ecclesiarum apud Lugdunum et Viennam, etc. are quite comparable to the instances in 2 and 4 Maccabees. Perhaps the shift to a more martyr mentality occurred as one of the responses to the Maccabean crisis (abetted by the new-ish belief in a future resurrection, making possible one's vindication after death).

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thank you AndersonInfo for that last post. As one 'brought up in the Truth' it is very good to get a level headed comment from someone who 'came in' of their own accord. It helps to calm me down from my natural state of agitation and anger with all things JW.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    It was my understanding that neither Ann nor Ray thought they were of the "heavenly class." That means they died with the hope of future life on a paradise earth.

Which means that according to JW eschatology, they were never part of the "other sheep"/"great crowd" class either. I wonder if the Society is ever going to clear up that matter. What will happen when the generation that saw 1935 (when Jonadabs declared themselves to actually be part of the "great crowd") passes away?

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Thanks for that, Barb. You and Joe are most precious to us.

Hi Leolaia,

according to JW eschatology, they were never part of the "other sheep"/"great crowd" class either. I wonder if the Society is ever going to clear up that matter.

Can you point us to a reference on that. I was with the JWs from the mid 50s to the late 70s and always considered myself to be part of the other sheep / great crowd class. Where was I not getting it?

Len

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hi Len...the "great crowd" is defined by their participation in the Great Tribulation and who survive Armageddon. Those who identify as the "great crowd" before Armageddon are thus prospective members of the great crowd.

*** it-1 p. 997 Great Crowd ***

It thus appears that the “great crowd” is formed of those persons who have been preserved during that time of wrath and who have been able to “stand” as approved by God and the Lamb... The sum of the evidence, therefore, points to the “great crowd” as representing all those persons who are not of the heavenly “bride” class, or 144,000 sealed ones, but who stand approved at the time of the “great tribulation” and are preserved alive on earth.

*** sl chap. 17 p. 324 par. 24 The Creating of “New Heavens and a New Earth” ***

With eager anticipation, the “great crowd” of prospective survivors of the “great tribulation” are also awaiting the “new heavens and a new earth.” This “new earth” will be the new human society living under the “new heavens.” (Revelation 7:9-14) Just as Noah and his family survived the global deluge and formed the nucleus of the new human society on earth, so the “great crowd” will survive the approaching “great tribulation” and will form the permanent nucleus of the new human society, the symbolic “new earth.”

*** g77 9/22 p. 27 Does It Matter What You Wear? ***

A “great crowd” of tribulation survivors are depicted as “dressed in white robes,” indicative of their dignified, clean appearance before the Most High by reason of their faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. (Rev. 7:9, 13, 14)

*** jv chap. 16 [1993] p. 243 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***

Particularly beginning in the 1930’s, prospective members of the “great multitude,” or “great crowd” of other sheep, began to manifest themselves. (Rev. 7:9, 10, KJ; John 10:16)

*** w07 2/1 p. 21 par. 19 Jehovah Is an Appreciative God ***

Of course, Jesus’ love for his anointed followers is also extended toward his loyal “other sheep,” millions of whom now make up the prospective “great crowd . . . out of all nations,” who will survive the coming “great tribulation.” (John 10:16; Revelation 7:9, 14)

The problem is that the Society teaches that the great crowd has made its appearance beginning in the 1930s (see for example 10/1/1978 Watchtower, p. 12; 5/1/1992 Watchtower, p. 22; 2/1/1998 Watchtower, pp. 18-19, etc.), but if all of those who identified in 1935 as prospective members of the great crowd die without experiencing Armageddon, then none of them were really members of the great crowd, which means that the great crowd couldn't, in fact, have made its appearance in 1935.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Ann as well as the other people on that 1984 Watchtower cover were sincere and likeable people. No one casts aspersions on them or rejoices in their deaths. It's the lie that we take issue with, not the people on the cover of that 1984 magazine who were taken in by the lie.

Well put, Barbara! I have good memories of those that I knew. Thanks for helping to identify them.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Oops, I already see an error. My altered photo post will follow after I fix the photobucket copy.

Len

• heathen
    heathen

I don't forget that the WTBTS and jho's will ruin your life for not agreeing with their dogma at anytime and will df you for making mention of it . I remember I questioned it and was immediately crapped on, so any critique is welcome on this board. Those people in that photo were spreading a lie so why doesn't the old wages of sin is death scripture apply to them ? anybody but them .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit