New Board members within the last 1 year.....

by stuckinamovement 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I found the site and joined almost straight away last year.

I have found it a wonderful place when my mind was all over the place. I married into a JW family and was too embarrassed to talk to my own family and friends about it as I am sure they would have thought that I was making it all up. No-one outside would never believe what really goes on unless they see it for themselves and would have thought I was potty for putting up with it.

Fortunately, my husband was a born in and never believed in it and we have at last escaped. We are just bating our breath for his mother to start sending the local elders round to enrol us in our new local KH. Hopefully, though, this won't happen!

Thank you to everyone on this site, it certainly has helped me (and my husband) a lot.

LI

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

I lurked for a while and then there were some posters who had similar stories to mine that I just had to join in. I did not have anyone who I felt understood where I was coming from. I had some problems with the "NOO LIGHT" that was constantly flip flopping the issues. I had problems with some in the KH that did not not show "brotherly love" and I no longer wanted to be a part of it. Asking valid questions about the Borg and doing research are things that the WTBTS seems to forbid, so why would I want to remain "spiritually fed" by it and be stuck on stupid.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I'm a brand new member but have been lurking for almost two years. My reasons for joining have already been covered by other posters. One thing I want to make clear to any lurkers reading this thread is that I am an appointed man. I could very well be a brother in your congregation; giving talks, making shepherding calls, leading field service groups. I say this not to intimidate you but to help you understand that there are many other active sisters and brothers with questions, doubts, and concerns about various facets of our religion. You have every right to ask questions. If what you have is the absolute truth, then it will stand the test under scrutiny. I arrived here while doing the deep personal study that JWs are encouraged to do on a regular basis. I had questions that WT publications could not, or would not, answer. Thus, I went searching. You are probably searching too for reasons all your own. Continue your search. Do not be dismayed by what anyone (in the organization or outside of it) tells you. You are the judge and jury for what 'truth' is for you at this stage of your life. Be honest with yourself and reasonable as to any new information you may find. Remember the Boreans, who took nothing at face value, but rather, tested everything they heard to see if it was true. For some, being a JW and believing all of the doctrines as published by the WTBS is a good fit. For others, it just doesn't add up. I understand the hypocritical nature of being a servant and being a member of this site. It's something that I wrestle with daily. If you are uspet by this, I ask only for your patience and forgiveness. For the present, I will continue to work hard to serve in the best capacity that my conscience will allow. At the same time, I will use this site as an outlet to exercise my freedom of speech and to keep my relative sanity under what have become for me, opressive intellectual circumstances. Who knows what the future holds?

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind
    NLW's wife.....who is still too scared to get her own account.

I too was very apprehensive about signing up. I lurked for a long time here. Don't let anyone pressure you. You will join us when you and you alone are comfortable. You do have something grand to add----your experience.

Franklin Massey: My husband was the PO until recently. He, like you was carrying out the duties of his position and at the same time researching and lurking here. Remember it is the Watchtower that has forced you into playing the hypocrite. If they allowed open discussion you would not be in this uncomfortable position. If you think about it you have just done what we ask all new studies to do, that is make an examination of your religion. Truth stands up to scrutiny. You didn't say if you have any family in the organization. This complicates any decision to leave. Who knows what the future holds? If you're like most others here you will follow your intellect and become an XJW.

I've reopened my mind and you can too. Best wishes in your journey.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    One thing I want to make clear to any lurkers reading this thread is that I am an appointed man. I could very well be a brother in your congregation; giving talks, making shepherding calls, leading field service groups.
    Franklin Massey

Hi FM,

Welcome. Please, tell us about watchtower-sponsored stalking and and illegal surveilance on active, inactive and disassociated or Desfellowed JWs. Alot of people including myself,have been complaining about this horrible and imcomprehensible activities on the part of JW leaders.

Scott77

• cantleave
    cantleave

Looking at historic posts there is always a high turnover of members. It's great that this board provides support to those in the exiting process and creates a forum where true friendships can be created.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

@Reopened Mind: I have lots of family and many close friends in the org. It does complicate matters greatly.

@Scott77: Your request was, "Please, tell us about watchtower-sponsored stalking and and illegal surveilance on active, inactive and disassociated or Desfellowed JWs. Alot of people including myself,have been complaining about this horrible and imcomprehensible activities on the part of JW leaders." I cannot help you here, as I have had no experience in, nor have I witnessed, what could be referred to as "Watchtower sponsored stalking" or "illegal surveillance." I can only speak for myself and the men I have worked with. I'm not saying it doesn't go on or hasn't happened. When I was younger, there were two elders removed from my hall for being too aggressive and "staking out" publishers, hoping to catch them in some sort of sin. Note that they were removed. The rest of the body found this conduct to be disgusting. There are many good brothers serving now who agree with a statement made by a Circuit Overseer in a recent elder's meeting: "We are not police. We dispense the counsel and hope for the best." Most brothers I work with have spent sleepless nights worrying about the issues facing the congregation. They absolutely hate having to handle Judicial matters. I've seen elders break down in tears, emotionally disturbed about having to deal with heavy issues in the congregation. Please, do not lump all "JW leaders" in with the rotten few who don't deserve any position of responsibility in the first place.

• Think About It
    Think About It

My 1 year will be on Jan 20. Had been out 14 yrs at the time and lurked about 3 weeks before joining. Have learned much and it is appreciated. Went from thinking this religion is getting too kooky and I got to get out, to this religion is a cult and I'm glad I'm out.

Think About It

• whathappened
    whathappened

My sister, GrandmaJones advised me to join so I could get rid of any lingering doubts I had about leaving. Joining has convinced me the JW's are a cult and do not even practice what they preach. I joined after about 1 week of looking around. I was scared that I would be caught and turned in and df'd. So far, the coast is clear. I am enjoying this site almost daily. Would rather surf this site than watch tv.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

The 1st time I came across this board it felt there was too much anger and bitterness, and I could not identify with most of it. So i continued on other places on the internet, read Crisis of Conscience, and woke up. after seeing my research and the bad stories confirmed and repeated amongst family and friends, came back for lurking and made my post another 6 months later. The overlap doctrine is beyond what I am able to swallow, and I am quite sure many have disconnected over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit