Have you answered the knock on your door?

by Inkie 44 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Really? At 2am in the morning, Jer? Hmmmmm... methinks you ought to report that. I would and I would certainly encourage any of the ladies to do so, as that sounds like a perv to me. Then again, mayhaps YOU don't have a problem with UPS showing up at the time of the morning...

Where the heck do you get 2am? I never mentioned when the UPS guy comes. It ain't 2am. You see how these things start. You jump to wild conclusions, even wilder than assuming the voice is GOD instead of THE LORD that others did. (How in the world they made such an assumption is pretty wild- confusing the Lord with God.) From that single wrong assumption of yours, you are making my UPS guy into a pervert that should be reported as a pervert. Here, the guy is just doing his job and you might be ruining his reputation in the neighborhood and the next thing you know, he'll lose his job.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

OTWO - does your UPS guy know about JWN then. Just asking

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Hello Inkie,

Thank you for sharing. I am a born-in, that is why I became a JWN. Being misled once by a religion big time, am highly sceptical in accepting quickly something else, and I guess I am not alone in this regard. Although I would like to understand the Jesus from the New Testament, I feel the need for more explanation on doctrine before I can accept that such a manifestation is coming from Jesus. What was your journey in life before you got to this point? What are the non-emotional parts of your faith? How do you live your faith and what changes did you make?

Hoffnung

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Where the heck do you get 2am? I never mentioned when the UPS guy comes. It ain't 2am.

Surely you know that sarcasm isn't an exclusive possession, Jer? And surely you realize that you're not necessarily the best at wit?

You see how these things start. You jump to wild conclusions, even wilder than assuming the voice is GOD instead of THE LORD that others did.

Nothing wild about it. I know what time it occurs for me... and dear Inkie (peace to you, dear one!) did mention that he was in bed. A logical assumption, IMHO. Be that it was merely a like response to YOUR comment, however, I think the one jumping to conclusions is you... as to some supposed "rules" on how one must respond to YOUR sarcasm. Differently. Sorry... but you've concluded wrongly.

(How in the world they made such an assumption is pretty wild- confusing the Lord with God.)

It is, given what's written, which is how most of them know about either. Yeah, yeah, I know: the theologians, Bible scholars, and religious leaders say they're one and the same. Funny... Christ is recorded to have stated they weren't.

From that single wrong assumption of yours, you are making my UPS guy into a pervert that should be reported as a pervert.

Only you would know, Jer... only you would know.

Here, the guy is just doing his job and you might be ruining his reputation in the neighborhood

Well, hun, if he's doing it at 2am... his reputation might be questionable... and so need questioning.

and the next thing you know, he'll lose his job.

Mmmmmm... not if you don't report him, he won't. You know, that whole 'honor among..." Well, you get my drift.

Next time he shows up, tell the UPS guy I said "Heeeyyyyyy!"

A slave of Christ,

SA, kinda sorta on her own... kinda... sorta...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Evidently God is a homeless man asking for a few dollars so he has enough gas to get home. That's who usually knocks on my door. I'll be sure to answer next time.

• Inkie
    Inkie

DP:

You may be slow, but at least you finally got it right. Good for you! (Applause)

Awen,

I am so glad and grateful for your post. Believe me, in this desert at JWN, the few like you who make your presence known are like an oasis that appears in a parched land. It is wonderful to meet here another brother in Christ.

While I too understand the pain the Society has caused in the “brotherhood” so to speak, like you, I too “do not understand the hatred, ridicule and mistreatment of the posters here on this board who are simply sharing their experiences.” While this board is supposedly a support board, like witnesses still in the organization, unless you believe like them there’s not much in the way of support. The operative phrase you use—“any loving person would not stomp on an injured person”—is key. The people who behave so poorly here lack that loving kindness. It is so self-evident as to be shockingly brazen.

I thank you most sincerely for your kind support. May Jah bless and His Christ continue to shine upon you. Blessings.

--Inkie

Hi Hoffnung,

I totally get your skepticism. If there is one thing I hate too it is being lied to.

If you choose to read the New Testament to learn about the teachings of Jesus as well as learn more about him, then, my advice to you is, read the words the Master himself spoke. Read them carefully. Believe them. Trust them. Most of his words are found in the gospel accounts (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and especially John). Any other statement found in the rest of the New Testament which contradicts what our Lord said cannot be trusted (for a number of reasons. Later on that.) For example, If our Lord said something and you read that Paul said something different that contradicts what our Lord stated. Whom are you going to believe? Paul? Or Christ? That decision is yours to make. (My choice? I’d go with what my Lord stated.)

But there’s a better way, Hoffnung. And don’t take my word for it. Find out for yourself. What is that better way? Asking him. After all, did he not instruct us to ask him? Yes, indeed he did. He said to ask him. (See below.) Our Lord wants us to communicate with him. Go to him. Converse with him and listen. He will respond. He will engage you. Put what little faith you might perceive you have asking for more faith to be able to hear, to be able to listen, so that you will hear him when he does engage you. The following are just a few his words about asking him:

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have ask ed him, and he would have given you living water."—John 4:10.

Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.—John 14:13.

If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.—John 14:14.

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.—John 15:17.

Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask , and you will receive, that your joy may be full.—John 16:24.

And finally,

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God, exercise faith also in me . —John 14:1.

Some translations read:

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me . —John 14:1.

As for your latter three questions, I will post presently, but it will take me a day or two. All the best, Hoffnung.

May Jah bless. Your brother in Christ.

--Inkie

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Hi Inkie. I will think about it and wait for your next posts. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Only when I don't know it is them. My NY apt had good security. Both NY and where I live now are private property. Without a name and phone number that i can confirm, I call the police. After all these years, my rage is so great I just can't say more than I was raised a Witness but I studied my Bible by myself and know for certainty that they lie. They are prob. good people but they better leave immediately.

An atypical witness engaged me at a local train station. I told her my family's experiences and my academic studies at Columbia University and life-long interest in the Bible. She seemed to be educated. I was able to keep my voice and comments calm. Four days later, a handwritten note appeared. Despite my credentials, she was certain I would want to learn from her. Why not learn from Charles Manson and write an article for publication?

She stood out b/c I also see them all the time at a major American transit station. They are completely withdrawn into themselves and their private conversation. They just sit there, gossiping. Anyone who wanted to purchase a WT or Awake would have to club them to get their attention. When I was a lowly child, I interacted more with people.

Of course, Michael Jackson wit his grabbing crotch never preached to me. The writhing on stage. What a Witness.

I endeavor to separate the individuals from the Society. Feelings of not being safe wash over me for days after they stop by.

• Inkie
    Inkie

Hoffnung: I will attempt to answer you last three questions. You asked:

What was your journey in life before you got to this point?

All of my life, since my earliest recollections, I have been searching for God and Christ. My mother was the first to teach me about God and Christ. Then the Catholic Church taught me when I went to grade school and church at St. Anthony’s in Oakland, California, then at St. John’s in San Lorenzo, California. I often asked questions of the priests and the nuns and while they answered some of my questions to the best of their ability, they did not always answer to my satisfaction. I have always loved God and Christ since my earliest days. Then, one day I arrived home from school and my mother was entertaining an elderly lady (a witness) who was teaching her the Bible. She was very excited to be learning the things she was and asked me to sit in on her study. I did. What the witness lady said was extremely interesting and it was things that I had never heard before (of course), and she used her Bible to prove her statements. Of course, this was just a cursory overview that had anybody actually read the Bible, one would know. But I had not read the Bible and so all of this was new to me. After several studies, the witness lady transferred me over to a young brother who started to study with him and I learned a lot of things that I did not know. I was delighted to learn of these things and I did not know. You must realize that my belief in God and Christ was quite strong, my trust in them was quite strong, according to my limited knowledge of them. I never doubted they existed. I never doubted they cared for me. And while I was studying with the witnesses and began to attend their meetings, a strange thing occurred. They told me I was not a son of God (which heretofore I had always believed I was). That only the anointed were sons of God and that I was not one of the anointed. That was the first glitch to occur for me. However, I continued studying. The belief or disbelief, as the case may be, always stuck in the back of my mind while I continued studying. I got baptized. Then, about a year after, a witness family began studying and reading the Bible without the help of the Society’s literature. It was one of the best times I have ever had and I remember it fondly. Just reading the Bible alone was fantastic. But it didn’t go well for that family. The brothers eventually disfellowshiped all of them. And they came after me and tried to get me to spy on them, to report back to them of the goings on, and they eventually threatened me too with being disfellowshiped. Being young, inexperienced, and new to this kind of thing, I was afraid. I withdrew from my friends (to my eventual regret) and remained in the congregation. They were disfellowshiped. The ensuing years followed and I married and raised a family all the while asking questions of the elders. Finally, as a grown man, I got tired of trusting men to say what was truth and what wasn’t. I prayed to God through Christ and ask that I be shown the truth. I read the Bible on my own, continued to ask questions, to the chagrin and sometimes anger of the elders. I began to write to the Society for answers to those questions. Initially they responded quite favorable but after a while they stopped. I think they got tired of me. I continued writing, but now I always “cc’d” (courtesy copied) the Body of Elders so that they would know exactly what it was I was asking and so that I could not get in trouble as though I were doing something behind their backs. Finally I stopped writing them and continued on with my own Bible studying and readings. I learned a lot that was different from the Society’s teachings using their very own New World Translation. Their own Bible contradicted their teachings. I began to fade—some. Because my family was still in. All the years that I questioned things, I told my family what I was doing, what I was researching, etc. I did not want them ignorant of what I was doing. When ever people asked them questions (and they did), my wife at the time, or my son, or my brothers and sisters, would say: Ask Inkie, but you better be specific with what you ask him because he will tell you the answer to your question. He will tell you: The Society teaches such and so. But the Bible says this or that. Finally, people would ask me: Inkie, what does the Bible say about such and so? And then they’d ask: And what does the Society teach? During my fade, my employer, as a gift, bought me my first home computer. Wow! What a world it opened up for me. I communicated with people (witness and non-witnesses) all over the world. I communicated with people with stable and orthodox views and some that were extremely strange. All the while, regardless of who they were or what they believed and taught I maintained my respect and kindness for them. The one thing I wanted was not to be lied to deliberately or unknowingly. So I was very careful—VERY! I then met someone online in the predecessor form to this one (H2O) that said some very very interesting things. Things that I could not refute and that were backed up by what the Bible said. Anything that was stated that I did not or could not initially grasp, I put on the “back burner” of my mind for further contemplation. But what this person said on the forum and to me personally because we began a correspondence was always proven by the biblical text. I could not deny it: the statement stated and the biblical text to prove it. Then, after much correspondence, much telephone conversation, much personal face to face conversation, I tried what was suggested to me. Speak to the Christ and listen. I did so. I also prayed to God through his Christ with such fervent petitioning that I was astounded when I received an anointing in February of 2001. (I posted about this event on another thread. I can’t remember now which one it was.) I have since received our Lord’s knock and doorbell ringing on a number of occasions. Some I answered and some I didn’t. From now on, I do. My Lord, Jaheshua, and whom most know as Jesus Christ, does speak to me. He answers me and he gives me the things I ask for. I have found that I NO LONGER need to search for them for I have been found by them.

What are the non-emotional parts of your faith?

I’m not sure I understand your question here. My “non-emotional” parts? How does one separate one’s emotions from one’s self—one’s life. I will attempt to answer. While I recognize that I am an emotional creature, I do not believe that I am emotion per se. My mind is very involved in my life. Intellectually, I believe in the existence of God and Christ. No emotion there. I believe they love me and care for me. No emotion there. When I communicate with them, I am heartfelt and sincere. Maybe some emotion there. When what I learn or what things happen to me as a result of my belief and worship, this can be very emotional. Is this what you mean?

How do you live your faith and what changes did you make?

Aaahhh . . . I decided—DECIDED—to believe and trust the words of my Lord. Whether they be found in the Bible as the things he stated or whether I personally hear them myself with my “spiritual” ears. That’s a big change for me. While I always believed the words of Christ as written in the Bible, looking back, I can honestly say they I may not have necessarily trusted them. I do now. Whatever Christ has said, I believe and strive to live by, to the chagrin of many and especially to the chagrin of my former elders, etc.

I live my faith by trusting the words of my Lord. I pray throughout the day, I speak to my Lord (and listen to him) throughout the day. I share what I know to those sent to me and those who ask of me. While I am not sinless, I strive to refrain from sinning. I am more generous than I have ever been in my life. And there is still room for improvement.

I no longer live by men’s rules. I live my life by those of my Lord.

Hoffnung, does this help, does this answer your questions sufficiently?

--Inkie

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Hi Inkie, thanks for sharing your story.

I have found that I NO LONGER need to search for them for I have been found by them.

I understand this comment completely. I searched from when I was a child, and I feel that's why I was misled by the WTBTS. I too thought they knew all about God and Christ. My search is now over and at last I can relax in the sense I am no longer wondering/doubting whether I have the truth or not.

I am no longer suffering within the confines of the WTBTS and all the restraints it puts upon you. I still suffer sometimes from deep sadness, guilt and grief for having raised my children in that cult, but it only lasts for a short while and my Lord always, always gives me comfort.

I am free in the freedom of Christ and really enjoying getting used to the experience.

Peace to you dear brother and fellow slave and may you and your household be blessed now and forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit