How Important is knowing the Truth, Really?

by cameo-d 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    That being said I try to live by the principle that attacking somone's beliefs is assault but concealing the facts from someone requesting or needing them is deception.

PP, While I let my JW family members be, it is only because coming out has to be on their own terms.

First of all, they actually don't have beliefs beyond "Watchtower is always right." The vast majority of JW's do not have their own beliefs that the flood really happened so long after the actual banishment from the Garden of Eden. They don't have a belief that a creator of the universe hates blood transfusions and birthday cakes and clinking glasses at a wedding reception. So revealing information contrary to "Watchtower is always right" is valuable for people in a dangerous mind-control condition.

Secondly, there are ways to reveal such information without "attacking." I now always encourage independent thinking on the part of my JW loved ones.

Otherwise, I really agree with what you said.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Your statement could very well be one of the most profound you have made.

It was made by someone far more profound than I, sorry, but thanks for the props :)

That is how I see things. It is what we do that defines us and shapes the world around us. If we start from the premise that someone who is invisible and unaccountable is in charge and IS absolute truth, then we we will seek an absolute truth.
    On the other hand, truth could be a subjective thing: the set of rules or ambition that is accepted as appropriate or expedient for the civilisation we live in to reach its highest potential. Accepted standards of behaviour have aways has been in flux because truth is often subjective and a reflection of the values we live by.

We have to be careful inmaking truth subjective, because then we make truth "fluid and flexable" which means it can be anything to anyone.

If society as a whole lives by the same values, truth is established. If society holds different values, then each group will claim to have the truth. At the end of the day we can only be true to ourselves and hope that our truth is close enough to the truth that others live by for harmony to exist.

Harmony can only be truth if it is TRUTH, if it isn't then it can't be any better or worse than anything else.

May your gods go with you - unless you are content to be alone or compromise for the sake of peace.

Contentment, compromise and peace all need SOMETHING to stem from or by the goal for, but if that something isn't truth, what is it?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento I appreciate your reply.

We have to be careful inmaking truth subjective, because then we make truth "fluid and flexable" which means it can be anything to anyone.

Your statement sums up the whole human endeavour for truth. The search for truth has occupied man’s thoughts, shaped his dreams, and been the cause of many struggles throughout history. Without a God to set the benchmark, truth will remain "fluid and flexible." Perhaps this is where the divide occurs.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Your statement sums up the whole human endeavour for truth.
    The search for truth has occupied man’s thoughts, shaped his dreams, and been the cause of many struggles throughout history.
    Without a God to set the benchmark, truth will remain "fluid and flexible." Perhaps this is where the divide occurs.

An excellent point, without A benchmark ( and for Christians it is God through Jesus) truth is the "convinence of the moment".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit