How much positive reinforcement do you need to function on JWD?

by TMS 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Actually, upon reflection, I decided to remind people of the model used by the Watchtower Printing Corporation: they never encourage anyone, unless you think "bullying" = "ecouraging". Nothing one does is ever good enough. The good one does is never celebrated and acknowledged. The bad is attacked like a pack of wolves on a lame rabbit. People are always being put down by gangs of other people.

Of course we all know that I've just described the "real world" as a few in here have intimated. What a healthy mental environment it is.

So, rip the shit out of everyone, and do it all the time for no other reason than to just do it so you will "help" them be "well-adjusted."

On the other hand,

a good manager has learned that yes: you can knock people around once-in-a while and yes: that can be effective when done as absolutely needed, but ONLY if you also gently take that person by the arms and lift them up and give them lots of acknowledgement and praise when it is warranted, too. It's a delicate balancing act, but some managers are good at it and their people are absolutely loyal to them, respect them and even love them for it.

Short version? Morale does not improve when the beatings are increased.

Farkel

• besty
    besty

please Simon - an Ignore button - I need to scan this stuff quicker....

• compound complex
    compound complex

A question I've often pondered, TMS. Thanks.

The reference to JWD, however, has me puzzled ... I've read most of the posts and several mention JWD. Unless I've overlooked something.

CC

• Curtains
    Curtains

hey revolutionary rebel welcome. I was a little puzzled sometimes by grandma Jones's posts and did wonder if 2 different people were posting. Thanks for clearing that up. Great to have gradma and grandson on board. I always follow what grandma Jones says and she is full of wisdom. Its nice to see that you are a chip of the old block.

As to the question in the title of this read - TMS my reply is: seeking positive reinforcement is healthy and I agree wholeheartedly with grandma's sentiments. (I have not read the window washer thread - do I need to read it first?)

The fact that Jehovahs witnesses used postive reinforcment to such a great degree does not nullify its necessity. They were simply using something that is part of human desire and part of all life. An individual may come here seeking a lot of postive reinforcement - the fact that they stay for a time shows that they find what they want.

edit: now I've have read the window washer thread and understand your point TMS. I find myself agreeing with yesidid and don'tplaceliterature's comments on that thread.

Farkel I do enjoy your comments but you are not the GB - so get over it.

• Curtains
    Curtains

Adding to my comment above and getting warmed up

What I see going on here on JWD/JWN is a kind of social drama. Elements of the JW social drama figure prominently. So Farkel if you are told that you sometimes fulfill the role of GB member and if we go further and say GB members sometimes fulfill roles such as occupied by George Washington & Winston Churchill, then there is not such a great problem with being compared to GB members. In this sort of scenario I don't mind being cast in the role of nitwit I guess. But if you call me nitwit then I'm going to come out with my gun slinging like John Wayne in Bite the Bullet.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

More hugs, less spankings! Remember that, you troglodytes!

• TMS
    TMS

The reference to JWD, however, has me puzzled ... I've read most of the posts and several mention JWD. Unless I've overlooked something.

CC

Of course, CC, it's JWN. I must have had a senior moment OR that may have been the abbreviation for Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Board.

Curtains: Of course, humans NEED positive reinforcement. My question was framed to as to draw attention to HOW MUCH support a poster requires to continue posting. Does one cease and desist if everyone is not enraptured with your ideas or how they are presented? Do you see which way the proverbial wind is blowing before commenting or initiating a thread? If some of your material is not well received do you pick up your marbles and go?

tms

• compound complex
    compound complex

My question was framed to as to draw attention to HOW MUCH support a poster requires to continue posting. Does one cease and desist if everyone is not enraptured with your ideas or how they are presented?

Greetings, TMS:

As intimated in my earlier post, your framing of questions has put me squarely within sentiments I've felt and voiced before.

More than once, in petulance or due to hurt feelings, I vowed never again to contribute to the forum; however, I don't like myself when I behave like a baby. I am a human being first, a writer second. Now that I'm mature and wise and understanding, I fully realize that not everyone relates to my writing or my comments, just as I do not respond viscerally to all that I read.

I'm no longer center stage. I want to contribute something to the betterment of humanity, but my doing so in the wings suits me fine.

Your manner of communicating ideas is spot on.

Please continue!

CoCo

• beksbks
    beksbks

CoCo!!!!!!!!!!!

• flipper
    flipper

TMS - As has been stated, everyone enjoys a compliment now and then or positive support. As an ex-JW ( exited 7 years ago ) I have always been independent in my thinking, even while I was a JW for 44 years I had elders disagree with my views , so whether someone supports me or doesn't support my views - I really don't care. I have my views which I present as forthright and clear as possible and my world won't change if I'm supported or not. I like making friends , but won't sell out on my views to do so.

I think newbies joining the board do need more support at first , and then once they become more comfortable with posting and also starting threads of their own they become more confident and independent not needing the strokes so much as at first. But, bottom line is I've enjoyed meeting people on the board, I have over 100 of their phone numbers which I call sometimes to catch up on life to see how they are so that's a good thing.

I don't look at it as a " weakness " to give support or need support - I find that a good balance between the two is more accurate in describing how I operate. Interesting thread

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit