How much positive reinforcement do you need to function on JWD?

by TMS 63 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

Suffice to say most of us appreciate favorable comments when we initiate a thread. Even in our JW days, after an assembly part, student talk, public talk etc. the kind words of our brothers and sisters contributed to our self-esteem.

But we've grown up somewhat since those days. Do we still rely on the support of others? Would you try to gauge the general interest or lack of it from forum members before starting a thread? If you received some criticism concerning the content or tone of your thread, would you abort it?

Perhaps, what I'm intimating is: "Are you ready for the real world or still in the JW mindset?"

tms

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I am living in the real world. To suggest that your viewpoint is the adult one is arrogant. Not only as adults, but as humans we rely on the support of others, and that is a healthy thing. Criticism offered in a moderate tone, or seasoned with humor, is not too hard to take. I am seeing some very personal attacks in the past serveral days. (and boy, I think I am beginning to get right in there, forgetting my own sage advice) Self esteem is not something intrinsic to humans without kind words and encouragement. Look to the sociopath for the results of an upbringing and adulthood without that encouragement. What is human is to be supportive and helpful to all who merit it. Just saying...

• TMS
    TMS

Thanks, Grandma. Your opinion is duly noted. Actually, grandma, I didn't express a viewpoint so much as ask a question. BTW, how are your efforts to peruse my previous posts and find evidence, in your word, of my jackasshood? lol

tms

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Boy, I don't think anyone outgrows being appreciated. One reason some of the better researched posters have backed off is because too often their hard work went unrecognised and it all seemed unappreciated. That and the way many posters don't do a search before asking questions that have been exhaustively discussed making it seem repetitive and wearisome.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If I had a personality disorder or mental illness I'd need a lot of positive (?) reinforcement. (un)Fortunately for those who do have such illnesses, JWD is full of people ever willing to offer up such reinforcement.

It's not helpful.

• TMS
    TMS

SixofNine. . . . if I get the gist of your what you're saying, we create monsters at JWD by encouraging mental weakness or disability with our applause or acquiescence.

tms

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I must be misunderstanding you. Surely it is not your intention to now make fun of those with mental illness?

• TMS
    TMS

Grandma: "I must be misunderstanding you. Surely it is not your intention to now make fun of those with mental illness?"

Grandma, I think you do have some problems with comprehension. No one is making fun of the mentally ill. Were you addressing me or SixofNine with your question?

tms

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Weird. Darkside had trouble with comprehension the same way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit