To all lurking JW elders

by Mickey mouse 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

To all lurking JW elders:

Read "Crisis of Conscience" and "Combatting Cult Mind Control." Until you do, you don't even know the organization you belong to and cannot comment intelligently in depth about it.

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

Mad Sweeney

Its comments like yours that likely disuade some from getting involved here. I know these books exist, and you obviously believe what they have to say, but dont accuse others of lacking the capacity for intelligent comment just because they havent read them. Its arrogant and impolite.

Bing

Thanks for your comments. I wont reply line by line, but I'll think about what you have to say.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Read "Crisis of Conscience" and "Combatting Cult Mind Control." Until you do, you don't even know the organization you belong to and cannot comment intelligently in depth about it.

Hey, that's my line!

Great advice. Moreover, why should one fear information? Take the plunge, see what the fuss is all about. No matter what you READ, what is true will remain true. What is false will remain false.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

curiousconfused, Welcome, I served as an elder up until recently. The changing Generation doctrine is what made me question the validity of the claim that the GB spoke for Jehovah. I have come to the realization that there are a number of good loving people within the organization but the teachings and interpretations are the "teachings of Men". I was born in and this is all I know. It is disconcerting to say the least to begin to see cracks in your faith. I wish you the best and am always available to compare notes. Take Care, SIAM

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

SIAM,

Thanks. I think I am at a point where I have concerns over certain things - but at heart, I dont believe in the Trinity, the immortal soul or a Heaven-only Kingdom. I dont think any other Christian religion has the truth, and Im not interested in Atheism, or concocting some personal form of worship that suits only me. However, I dont believe that getting something wrong repeatedly (Generation) constitutes a brightening light.

Its a dillema, and I need to work it out. Im not here for the "the GB are a bunch of *********" type conversations - or to swap war stories with those who have decided that the standards required to be JW (membership rules if you like) dont apply to them, yet they still want to remain.

I am so far entrenched, I cant ever see a way out even if I wanted to - so maybe this is the outlet I need for now.

CC

• karter
    karter

Welcome couriousconfused.

I was a JW for 37 years.

I should have got out sooner but kept trying to convince myself it was the truth, Pushing any doubts to the back of my mind.

Once on the outside looking in....things look a whole lot diffrent.

For example try explaneing to someone who is not a JW the generation overlap and see what reaction you get.

But when it's explaned at the KH watch all the heads nod and think it's wounderfull to get some "New light"

One other thing that realy got to me is the JW's love to say that "We do not alow anybody that has molested a child to hold a possition''

Ive heard JW's preach that knowing full well it's rubbish.

When a JW i know came out with that i said to him"But you know (an Elder in the congrgation) has sex with his underaged sister"

His answer"But that was along time ago"

In effect he addmitted i was rite but he carried on preaching it.

I could go on but thats enough for now.

Karter.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Confused,

I hear you, and am in the same position as an active witness. My advice is to read the bible and pray for clarity and truth. My dilemma as an elder was being expected to teach people something I did not whole heartedly believe in. This board has helped me in the fact that it is the only place I can express my doubts or questions without being punished. I hope that it provides the same help for you whatever conclusion you come to.

SIAM

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Hi curiousconfused and welcome to the board. The reason I started this thread is that I noticed on my father's web browser history that he has visited this site on more than one occasion. He's an elder in the UK, like you. I am ostensibly still a witness, although I have not gone on the ministry for over a year and I miss most meetings.

Here's the thing: I suspect that on some level my dad knows that the WT isn't 'Jehovah's organization' and I have seen sufficient evidence to prove to myself that it isn't, yet we're not able to have an open and honest discussion about it for fear of ripping the family apart. That is the essence of a cult.

I'd ask if you were my father but I know he's served on a JC for apostasy so I guess that rules you out. Anyway, I thought you may like to know that other elders are reading here just like you.

There are all sorts of people here, some who have suffered terribly as a result of WT policies and are bitter. I experienced a great deal of anger during my mental exit and when this is your only outlet, it can sound a little extreme at times. That doesn't deflect from the fact that there's some really good information to be found here, solid facts in black and white printed in the society's own literature. When you are free to examine these without the collective amnesia that the society encourages members to develop regarding past teachings, it is hard to deny that they have essentially been making it up as they've gone along for 130 years.

I hope participating in the forum gives you the outlet you need.

• Ding
    Ding

Confused,

Please do read Ray Franz's Crisis of Conscience.

It's not an angry or vindictive book.

He doesn't call the GB or Bethelites names.

His tone is one of sadness at what he learned about the organization he devoted his life to, thinking it was God's sole channel of communication to man.

I would also recommend that you set aside WT materials and just read the Bible itself; my own personal preference would be to go through several of the epistles first -- Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians, and so on.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Lurking pioneers, ministerial servants and their wives are welcome, too!

The wives should be required to wear a head covering while posting, to show the proper reverence for the men folk.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit