Is God LOVE ?

by wobble 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Farkel
    Farkel

Thank you Shel. So the Watchtower Printing Corporation chose to portray envy as jealousy when apparently most other Bible translators prefer envy.

In the references below we have:

4 for jealous
    14 for envy

Here is a commentary on the difference between the two emotions: (The bottom line is that while envy can sometimes be bad, it can also be good, but jealousy is ALWAYS bad.)

Many people use the words jealousy and envy interchangeably to describe the same emotional response, a general feeling of resentment towards a perceived rival. While the emotions of jealousy and envy do tend to overlap in some respects, there are some fundamental differences between the two. Jealousy, for example, is almost exclusively a negative emotion, while envy can has some positive effects, such as a renewed interest in self-improvement.

One difference between jealousy and envy involves the relationship between the jealous or envious person and his or her rival. An envious co-worker may develop a personal resentment towards a promoted co-worker because the position represents a higher salary and more responsibility. The true source of this envy is rarely the co-worker himself or herself, but the perceived value of the position. The co-worker may very well deserve the advancement because of his or her superior skills or education, but an envious person might become angry at himself or herself for not possessing those qualities.

Jealousy, on the other hand, focuses on the rival himself or herself, not necessarily the object or "good" at the center of the conflict. Jealousy implies a closer relationship between the jealous person and his or her rival. Instead of a promotion, the co-worker may start a romantic relationship with the jealous person's secret office crush. Because this rivalry is personal in nature, the target of the jealous person's resentment and anger is not necessarily the unattainable romantic partner, but the more attractive rival who now stands between them.

Another consideration between jealousy and envy is the depth of emotion. Envy is considered to be one of the 7 deadly sins, but in general the moral danger lies with becoming covetous of another person's possessions or status. In one sense, envy is at the root of criminal acts such as burglary or fraud. The criminal develops an irrational envy for people he or she perceives as more fortunate in life, so the theft of a victim's property somehow balances the scales of fairness. Envy in its rawest form represents an irrational desire for material satisfaction, not necessarily ill will towards those who have it.

Jealousy, however, is largely focused on the perceived character of the rival himself or herself. It's not that a more attractive rival managed to "steal" a potential romantic partner; it's the unfairness that an undeserving rival can use his or her skills to take what rightfully belongs to the jealous person. Feelings of jealousy often go deeper than feelings of envy, which can lead to physical confrontations with the rival or even criminal acts of violence.

Feelings of jealousy are almost always negative, since the jealous person may continue to build up resentment towards his or her rival until the situation becomes untenable or volatile. Many cases of jealousy can only be defused if at least one side of the triangle is taken completely out of the equation. If the object of the jealous person's romantic interest begins dating a third party, for example, the tension between rivals should lessen considerably. Without a focal point for passionate emotions, jealousy generally loses its fuel.

Jealousy And Relationships No More Jealousy Avoid Jealousy Severe Jealousy Jealousy Issues Jealously

Envy, on the other hand, can actually have some positive benefits, albeit after the fact. An envious person may be motivated to take the steps necessary to attain what his or her rival already has. Instead of developing irrational feelings of resentment towards a successful co-worker, for example, an envious person might pursue the same educational track as his or her rival, or take other steps to improve his or her own chances for a similar promotion. Resolving feelings of envy does not necessitate the removal of a rival or the "good" he or she now possesses, but it could require an attitude adjustment on the part of the envious one.

New International Version (©1984)
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does notenvy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud

English Standard Version (©2001)
    Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,

International Standard Version (©2008)
    Love is always patient; love is always kind; love is never envious or arrogant with pride. Nor is she conceited,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    Love is patient. Love is kind. Love isn't jealous. It doesn't sing its own praises. It isn't arrogant.

King James Bible
    Charity suffereth long, [and] is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

American King James Version
    Charity suffers long, and is kind; charity envies not; charity braggs not itself, is not puffed up,

American Standard Version
    Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Bible in Basic English
    Love is never tired of waiting; love is kind; love has no envy; love has no high opinion of itself, love has no pride;

Douay-Rheims Bible
    Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up;

Darby Bible Translation
    Love has long patience, is kind; love is not emulous of others; love is not insolent and rash, is not puffed up,

English Revised Version
    Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Webster's Bible Translation
    Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Weymouth New Testament
    Love is patient and kind. Love knows neither envy nor jealousy. Love is not forward and self-assertive, nor boastful and conceited.

World English Bible
    Love is patient and is kind; love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag, is not proud,

Young's Literal Translation
    The love is long-suffering, it is kind, the love doth not envy, the love doth not vaunt itself, is not puffed up,

Here is a Bible commentary on the matter:

Envieth not - ου? ζηλο´ι ou zeloi. This word properly means to be "zealous" for or against any person or thing; that is, to be eager for, or anxious for or against anyone. It is used often in a good sense (1 Corinthians 12:31; See the 1 Corinthians 14:1, 1 Corinthians 14:39 notes; 2 Corinthians 11:2 note, etc.); but it may be used in a bad sense - to be zealous "against" a person; to be jealous of; to envy. Acts 7:9; Acts 17:5; James 4:2, "ye kill and envy." It is in this sense, evidently, that it is used here, - as denoting zeal, or ardent desire "against" any person. The sense is, love does not envy others the happiness which they enjoy; it delights in their welfare; and as their happiness is increased by their endowments, their rank, their reputation, their wealth, their health, their domestic comforts, their learning etc., those who are influenced by love "rejoice" in all this. They would not diminish it; they would not embarrass them in the possession; they would not detract from that happiness; they would not complain or repine that they themselves are not so highly favored - To envy is to feel uneasiness, mortification, or discontent at the sight of superior happiness, excellence or reputation enjoyed by another; to repine at another's prosperity; and to fret oneself on account of his real or fancied superiority.

Of course, it may be excited by anything in which another excels, or in which he is more favored than we are. It may be excited by superior wealth, beauty, learning, accomplishment, reputation, success. It may extend to any employment, or any rank in life. A man may be envied because he is happy while we are miserable; well, while we are sick; caressed, while we are neglected or overlooked; successful, while we meet with disappointment; handsome, while we are ill-formed; honored with office, while we are overlooked. He may be envied because he has a better farm than we have, or is a more skillful mechanic, or a more successful physician, lawyer, or clergyman. "Envy commonly lies in the same line of business, occupation, or rank." We do not, usually envy a monarch, a conqueror, or a nobleman, unless we are "aspiring" to the same rank. The farmer does not usually envy the blacksmith, but another farmer; the blacksmith does not usually envy the schoolmaster, or the lawyer, but another man in the same line of business with himself.

The physician envies another physician more learned or more successful; the lawyer envies another lawyer; the clergyman is jealous of another clergyman. The fashionable female who seeks admiration or flattery on account of accomplishment or beauty envies another who is more distinguished and more successful in those things. And so the poet envies a rival poet and the orator, a rival orator; and the statesman, a rival statesman. The correction of all these things is "love." If we loved others; if we rejoiced in their happiness, we should not envy them. "They are not to blame" for these superior endowments; but if those endowments are the direct gift of God, we should he thankful that he has made others happy; if they are the fruit of their own industry, and virtue, and skill and application, we should esteem them the more, and value them the more highly. They have not injured us; and we should not be unhappy, or seek to injure them, because God has blessed them, or because they have been more industrious, virtuous, and successful than we have.

Every person should have his own level in society, and we should rejoice in the happiness of all - Love will produce another effect. We should not "envy" them, because he that is under the influence of Christian love is more happy than those in the world who are usually the objects of envy. There is often much wretchedness under a clothing "of purple and fine linen." There is not always happiness in a splendid mansion; in the caresses of the great; in a post of honor; in a palace, or on a throne. Alexander the Great wept on the throne of the world. Happiness is in the heart; and contentment, and the love of God, and the hope of heaven produce happiness which rank, and wealth, and fashion, and earthly honor cannot purchase. And could the sad and heavy hearts of those in elevated ranks of life be always seen; and especially could their end be seen, there would be no occasion or disposition to envy them.

Farkel

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that John and Bart should get together and write a book or something.

They can all it, "Why we did a 180 on religion when we realised that we didn't know as much about it as we thought we did".

Maybe I shouldn't put Bart in their with John, at least Bart hasn't done a 180 on religion, he only did a 180 on HIS believe of bible inerrancy.

John on the other hand sounds like the typical person that decided that "the truth" was THIS and everyone that disagreed was 100% wrong (Born again evangelical), then he changed his mind and decided that THIS was the truth and that everyone that disagreed was 100% wrong ( born again atheist).

LMAO !

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Thank you for that clarification, Shelby.

You are quite welcome, dear JO (again, the greatest of love and peace to you!).

I guess what is bothering me still about Who/What was first (Light or Darkness) isn't pertaining to the creation of our physical realm and the Divine's attention to such, but rather before that "Big Bang" so to speak. Remember, Pure Light is invisible. We only "see" it because of Matter's reflective property.

Yes, I understand. Actually, though, he (Pure Light) is invisible even now. To the eye of flesh and thus, those who walk by sight, that is. He is not, however, to those who walk by faith.

Thank you, dear Daddy-O and TrueOne (peace to both of you!) for your comments. Dear TrueOne, I can see how your article might make it appear that what occurred in the Genesis account did not. I did, however... but perhaps not in the way most believe. Dear Daddy-O, you must remember that the definitions in your comments are "modern"... and how we perceive such things/understand such words today... and in the western culture. But these things were said of and to those of a more eastern culture, so the words will not mean exactly the same thing as it does to us (note, I do find it quite interesting that SO many with their hearts and minds in the western world assume to interpret and transliterate so much with regard to the ancient (mid) eastern world... based on how things are understood in the western world. Ah, well...).

Dearest PSacto (the greatest of love and peace to you, too!)... thank you and.... huh??

Again, thank you all (you, too, dear tec!) and peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Dearest PSacto (the greatest of love and peace to you, too!)... thank you and.... huh??

That was in reply to the "debunking Christianity" post.

John W Loftus ( the author of that Blog) and Barth Ehrman ( writer of Misquoting Jesus and a few other books) were both people that believed in bible inerrancy and when they relaised that it wasn't the case, their faith didn't "hold up" and John became an avid Atheist while Bart has become an agnostic.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahhhh, yes, dear PSacto! Thank you and, as always, peace to you!

Your servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• Terry
    Terry

Once I realized how dead wrong I had been about Jehovah's Witnesses being the only true religion I also had to face the fact

that I was fooled utterly!

I could no longer trust my own intellect with the tools I had developed up to that moment.

I spent the next 20 years retooling.

But---I'm currently (and probably permanently) mistrustful of my own ability to be convinced about anything which requires TRUST as a basis.

Faith and Trust sound like apple pie and a baby's soft underbelly. In fact, they are quicksand and a pit of snakes.

Faith and Trust are an excuse to be stupid and lazy about due diligence.

Always question. Always continue to listen to the other side.

Never get too comfortable to be wrong.......again.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Faith and Trust sound like apple pie and a baby's soft underbelly. In fact, they are quicksand and a pit of snakes.
    Faith and Trust are an excuse to be stupid and lazy about due diligence.
    If I viewed Faith as simply a mental belief or emotional sentimentality, I would totally agree with your words above. However, faith is different from that. It is not blind trust. Faith is more like having a sense of a great mystery and feeling impelled to go on the quest to gain knowledge about that great mystery. You have a deep intuition of an experience not yet had. Faith is like the seed and the enlightenment or knowledge acquired is the fruit. Faith is the generator that leads to the experience, and the experience leads to new levels of faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit