Florida Holding No Refusal DUI Checkpoints. If You Refuse They Stick A Needle...

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Duh! Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

I think driving is absolutely a privelege, not a right. If you're going to abuse it, be it texting, drinking or whatever; you shouldn't have it. Some of my friends are heavy drinkers. Even after DUI's they'll still drive drunk. There's just no excuse for it. We're a small town but we have a taxi service. All it takes is a little forethought and planning to not drive under the influence.

I don't know if checkpoints really work though. Usually someone goes through one and then tells everyone else where it's at. I've had one friend get a DUI at a checkpoint, another was absolutely under the influence and passed the sobriety test and drove away. Then there was the wife of a friend who volunteered to drive my fiance and his friends somewhere, but didn't tell anyone she had taken a methodone. After swerving from lane to lane, she ran off the side of the road into a ditch. Thankfully no one got hurt. But what if? My fiance and I have a 3 yr old, and that woman has two sons of her own. I have zero respect for people like that and anything that reinforces the idea that they have no right to do that, I'm all for. There is absolutely no reason to drive under the influence.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Danabug makes a great point...I think that texting while driving is even more dangerous than minor alcohol impairment while driving. Texting is incredibly distracting, and I think the punishment should be comparable to DUI. Way too many accidents that could have been prevented if the driver had not taken their eyes off the road texting!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I think driving is absolutely a privelege, not a right.

I absolutely agree with this and as such, should be treated that way - not just as necessity to get from point A to point B. The problem I have with all of these laws is that it results in dumbing down the population so that they don't take their own responsibility to really learn how to drive. Personally, I have a bigger problem with people who hate to drive or who are scared of driving than someone who knows what they're doing behind the wheel and has had a few drinks or is talking on their cell phone.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

*pokes Undercover back*

• undercover
    undercover
    The problem I have with all of these laws is that it results in dumbing down the population so that they don't take their own responsibility to really learn how to drive.

I've always said that the majority of the population (in the US anyway) doesn't know how to drive. They know how to operate a motor vehicle but they don't know how to drive. They don't understand the rules of the road, let alone the laws. They don't know how big their over-sized SUV is and can't park the damn thing let alone keep it in their lane on a two lane road.

They don't know what their car is capable of as far as cornering, accelerating or braking. It amazes me to see people drive 80-85mph on the Interstate, nose to tail, just a couple of feet from the car in front of them, but as soon as they get on the city streets they drift all over the place, can't make a turn without stopping, drive too slow, can't parallel park or give a fucking signal. And these people think they're Dale Earnhardt on the freeway... Makes one a little nervous to be riding inches from them, especially on a motorcycle.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I THINK DRIVING IS A RIGHT...

I WOULD ALSO TAKE THE TEST AND IF IT CAME UP FALSE POSITIVE I WOULD REQUEST ANOTHER ONE WHEN I GOT TO THE STATION..WITH ANOTHER TESTER. IF THAT CAME UP POSITIVE I WOULD DEMAND A BLOOD TEST! IF THAT CAME UP POSITIVE I WOULD BE IN DEEP SH*T BECAUSE I DON'T DRINK..WHY AM I ALL IN CAPS?...LOL

OH YEAH..CLEANED COMPUTER KEYBOARD AND MUST HAVE HIT CAP LOCK

snoozy...

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

When my dad taught me how to drive, he started with the fine points - learning to gauge other drivers' speeds, knowing where the car is in relation to everything else so that if the lanes are obscured by snow or anything else, I'd know exactly where I am on the road. We spent hours practicing parallel parking so that now I can park in a space with inches to spare without breaking a sweat - no matter what vehicle I'm driving. He taught me how to avoid accidents and how to know by observation which drivers were a danger to me and how to steer clear of them. He drilled into me that if I felt comfortable driving fast, that's ok but if I do that, I have to increase those observation skills and be even more careful - not careless or reckless. If everyone learned to drive with the fine points at the outset we'd have far less accidents on the roads in my opinion because common sense, practicality and love of the mechanics of driving is drilled in.

You can enact all the laws you want but as long as bad drivers are allowed to get licenses people will die every day.

• minimus
    minimus

Poor driving is a different topic!

• minimus
    minimus

San Antonio Texas is doing the same thingEVERY WEEKEND!

• undercover
    undercover
    Poor driving is a different topic!

But not completely unrelated...

A good driver under the influence of a low BAC is still a better driver than a sober bad driver. I'd rather be on the road with lots of good drivers after a couple of beers than on the road with a bunch of sober idiots... But that's a pipe dream, I know...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit