Florida Holding No Refusal DUI Checkpoints. If You Refuse They Stick A Needle...

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is this random checks? I'm okay with reasonable cause but not random tests.

Me too but this sounds random. They'll pick you out at the checkpoint, even if you are driving straight, and give you the full treatment. There is room for all kinds of abuse here.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=165079&catid=250

BTS

• minimus
    minimus

MADD is a quite powerful organization.

• undercover
    undercover

I don't know if anyone ever came up with this bumper sticker or not, but I always wanted to see one that made fun of the MADD sticker (MADD - Mothers Against Drunk Driving):

DAMM - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

BTS, what does BAC mean?

• minimus
    minimus

blood alcohol content

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS, what does BAC mean?

Blood alcohol content.

Here in Florida, you can walk out of a bar after having tipped a few, and decide to sleep it off in the back seat of your car so that you don't drive under the influence.

Cool, right?

Nope. Cops cruise into the parking lot and bust you for DUI. Happened to someone I know.

BTS

• undercover
    undercover
    They'll pick you out at the checkpoint, even if you are driving straight, and give you the full treatment. There is room for all kinds of abuse here.

Yea...if they're just picking every third car or something similar, then there are some rights issues.

Instead of checkpoints, they need to increase patrols in unmarked cars and then pull over obviously impaired drivers... (impaired can be drunk, texting or any other activity that causes you to drive stupid)

The checkpoint that they advertise in my area is just stupid. First they tell everyone...then it's in a spot that is easily navigated around by taking a couple of extra turns through a residential neighborhood. It's just a show of force...it's not actually deterring anyone or clearing the drunks off the street.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

BAC = Blood Alcohol Content

lol@ undercover: DAMM! I love it!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Growing up and getting my drivers license in Calif. it was pounded into our heads that driving was a priviledge, not a right. They can pull your license if they don't like the way you comb your hair.

I do appreciate BTS spirit, and the needle seems beyond the pale.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Danabug...BAC=blood alcohol content.

BTS, I would disagree that "low" BAC drivers do not prove to be a higher danger than sober drivers. I guess it would be based on what a low BAC driver is. Is it .08%?....05%?....02%? You will not be arrested if you are under .08% unless there are other obvious signs of impairment. Checkpoints are reandom...typically, every 5th or 10th vehicle is waved in. If there is no sign of alcohol, your license is checked and you are on your way. There still has to be the same elements of DUI present as if you were stopped driving to be arrested for DUI at a checkpoint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit