Florida Holding No Refusal DUI Checkpoints. If You Refuse They Stick A Needle...

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

The way groups like MADD carry on, you'd think that every vehicle fatality is alcohol related which is so far from the truth it's laughable. What's not funny is that there are WAY too many people behind the wheel who have next to no driving skills whatsoever and have no desire to learn how to drive well. In my opinion, that's the real issue.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

undercover,

The legal guidelines for DUI checkpoints require pre-notification of the location, time and date of the checkpoint. In addition, there has to be an "escape" route so that people can turn out before reaching the checkpoint. You would think that this would pretty much negate any chance of catching impaired drivers, but in our town the checkpoints typically yield an average of 5 DUI arrests with one checkpoint getting 17 DUI arrests!! That seems to be pretty effective...and certainly puts others on notice not to drive impaired.

• undercover
    undercover
    Here in Florida, you can walk out of a bar after having tipped a few, and decide to sleep it off in the back seat of your car so that you don't drive under the influence.
    Cool, right?
    Nope. Cops cruise into the parking lot and bust you for DUI. Happened to someone I know.

Here in NC, if it hasn't changed recently, sitting behind the wheel with the engine running is considered "driving". Even if the auto tran is in 'park' or a standard tran is in 'neutral' with the parking brake on. They've busted people in parking lots as soon as they start the engine. Not as ridiculous as FL but if you're starting the car for someone else or just to move it across the parking lot, they can bust you.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Driving is defined as "being in control of the vehicle"...typically, that would mean you are behind the wheel, keys in the ignition, engine running...whether you are actually driving or not.

• minimus
    minimus

In Mass. if the key is simply in the ignition and you are not driving and you are behind the wheel asleep, it's an OUI, operating under the influence.

• undercover
    undercover

*pokes* Poopsie... Um, I just got your message...

The legal guidelines for DUI checkpoints require pre-notification of the location, time and date of the checkpoint. In addition, there has to be an "escape" route so that people can turn out before reaching the checkpoint. You would think that this would pretty much negate any chance of catching impaired drivers

Well, I guess you gotta be pretty drunk, or stupid...or both... if you get caught then...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Bottom line to all of this is: "Don't get behind the wheel with a BAC of .08% or higher!"...that should resolve any issues of getting convicted of DUI.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Exactly undercover...and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of drunk, stupid drivers out there!! LOL

• minimus
    minimus

Obviously, drivers should not be inebreiated. The fact is that this is a BIG $$$$ making operation. I've seen people who were arrested for drunk driving treated with more sanctions and penalties than someone who assaulted another person. The $$$$ trail is obvious.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I guess one needs to note the difference between being arrested and convicted of DUI. Arrest is based on reasonable cause...in and of itself, it is not a conviction. Most states don't require a bond to be released on DUI...they typically wait until the driver is considered "sober" and release them on a citation and promise to appear. The fines and big money don't come into play until you are convicted...and that requires tangible proof, ie: a BAC over .08% or obvious signs of impairment. Typically, the DA will not prosecute unless they have a BAC over .08%. If it is under .10% and the person has no prior convictions, the DA will often drop the DUI charge to a "wet" reckless driving conviction. Get convicted of DUI, and the money starts to really add up!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit