Is the WTBTS having cash flow problems?

by JW GoneBad 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Butterflyleia85: 'I don't remember Credit Cards being used... '

They are now! Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover Card.....Cha Ching, Cha Ching.

There is a talk on the program entitled 'Do Not Be Contaminated By The Traveling Merchants' based on Rev 18:11. The speaker cautions the audience about over spending and materialism...... yada yada yada. Then to enforce that thought a sister walks on stage as though she has just opened her credit card statement and is alarmed when she sees that its' maxed out $$$$. She is talking to herself out loud (audience listening) how she is worried, how she needs to curtail her spending and the like. It ends with her being determined to cut up her cards as a way to stop the excessive debt. The speaker has some concluding comments (end of talk).

Then you walk out to the lobby & what do you see? Signs on tables, big as day, 'Debit/Credit Card Donations'. That is hypocrisy 101!

• debator
    debator

Interesting use of current culture changes to imply wrongdoing on the part of Witnesses.

fact..We are changing from a paper world to a plastic one.

Will you still be trying to sell this argument when we use credit cards to the complete exclusion of paper money and coinage?

Eventully the KH halls and assemblies will have to have ATM's for people to donate since plastic is becoming the currently most popular mode of currency transfer.

When changing from one mode of currency to another the change-over time is difficult but inevitable.

Just count how many times you actually use paper money and coinage in your lifes now and see the problem without your anti-witness blinkers on, twisting and blurring your objectivity!

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Eventully the KH halls and assemblies will have to have ATM's for people to donate since plastic is becoming the currently most popular mode of currency transfer.

I see a problem with that idea - a real ATM would allow you to take money out as well as put money in...don't think the WTBTS would like that.

Anyway - Wouldn't it be easier to have people just automatically wire transfer part of their paycheck directly to the Watchtower every month?

• debator
    debator

Hi James

I'm sure people do have that option. But they will have to work out how to accept one-off donations in a world that is becoming plastic.

I am sure there are donation only ATM type machines to be got at some point and they will be discreetly placed where donation boxes once were.

I know of some Christendom Churches that have already made the changover but I also know that Witnesses are letting this change-over happen as slowly and naturally as the economy allows.

Most shops and companies use ATMs now and as you said direct bank transfers.

I don't think it won't be that long before the only time we will see coins is on walls in a private collection for people to wonder at.

When I go into self-service supermarkets facing a long line of self-pay machines at the end of a shop. It just seems to be changing over so very fast.

• TD
    TD

Historically, the JW parent organization(s) have been trailing edge (i.e. "Kickers & Screamers") adopters of technology rather than cutting edge.

You can pretty much name the technology; from television to pocket calculators to PC's and you can find it characterized in JW literature as at best an unnecessary distraction and at worst, further evidence of the decadence of human society and a sign of the "Last days."

POS equipment is still unusual at religious gatherings so either that has changed, (Which would be a positive sign) or there is an overriding concern involved here. (Which would not be surprising.)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Reniaa:

I know of some Christendom Churches that have already made the changover

What churches have you seen ATMs in?

What do your elders think about you going into other churches?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

debator:

'Interesting use of current culture changes to imply wrongdoing on the part of Witnesses.'

'Will you still be trying to sell this argument when we use credit cards to the complete exclusion of paper money and coinage?'

Good point. But we are not there yet.

Many an economist say that while plastic is indeed popular and getting more and more use, check and cash will continue to be high on the list for making day to day purchases in the days to come. They mention numerous reasons why.

One thing economists do caution with regard to plastic is that it is a sure way of getting into trouble financially. And that is why it will always be competing with cash and check writing. People are beginning to learn the advantages of cash and check writing over plastic in this regard.

So if that is the WTBTS's thinking (that cash and check writing are going by way of the dinosaur) then they may be jumping the gun and showing a less and less reliance on their Chief Supporter, Jehovah. Why do I say that?

The Society has always prided itself in 'not being part of the world'. It has often quoted Jesus @ Mat 10:8 'You received free give free' as evidence that they are separate, different & unique from other religions when it comes to money. The Dec 1980 KM on page 3 par 2 after mentioning that the org has Jehovah as its' financial backer states in part..... 'that the organization will never beg nor petition men for support.........our preaching work has been supported in large measure by unsolicited and wholly voluntary contributions'. More recent articles (Watchtower 11/1/07 'The Silver Is Mine and The Gold Is Mine' pg 17) assure the R & F of this same commitment.

What I witnessed at the assemble hall speaks volumes of the GB's need, want & greed for money whether it be in the form of cash, check or debit/credit card! Even if it means the R & F going into debt. They might as well (as was mentioned) put up an ATM machine. Maybe they will!

• debator
    debator

Hi Palmtree

Entering Churches as buildings is personal choice, services such as weddings and funerals of family members are personal choice. church services outside of this are a definite no no Biblically since this is classed as worshiping other god's.

I know of Kingdoms Halls that are converted churches so the building itself is never vilified it is only a building.

Back to your question it was actually a news article.

just google ATM churches.

• debator
    debator

Hi JW Gonebad

If collecting donation was bad would you have taken the expensive oil out of the woman's hand before it poured out on Jesus's head?

You cannot have two standards! One that donating to a religion is a biblical okay against your own judgement that you decide the way they are doing it is greedy? There is no consistency accept your prejudice.

Either it is okay for a church from the early Christians onwards to accept donations or it isn't. Biblically it is completely okay.

The measure of their greed is what the money is used for and ours as witnesses are plowed right back into the organisation not some fat cat leaders bejewelled hands.

Whether it is Atm machines or donation boxes they will always be at the back or in a lobby where people can give at their own discretion. No plate to hand out in the hall itself during the meeting/service.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Reniaa:

Entering Churches as buildings is personal choice, services such as weddings and funerals of family members are personal choice.

?????????

You are 100% incorrect. It is NOT a personal choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit