Is the WTBTS having cash flow problems?

by JW GoneBad 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I was at a 2 day circuit assembly this weekend and I was surprised at how many times mention was made directly or indirectly reminding those in attendance (1,600) of the need to give $$$. Even in the soliloquies or skits they seemed to work in the need to give $$$.

It made me wonder if the Society is having 'cash flow' problems and hence is desparate for cash. Over the years that I've attended conventions and assemblies the need to give $$$ has been subtle (IMO), til now.

Just how blatant did it get?

I've noticed in recent assemblies and conventions that they started to inform the friends that they could now give $$$ using debit/credit cards. And I started to see small card tables to one side where you could donate. This time was different! Way different!

I walked into the lobby. In addition to the usual cardboard donation boxes, I saw two tables (twice the size of card tables) about 30' apart. These tables were not backed up to wall, out of the way like I'd seen at previous visits. No, they were smack dab in the middle of the lobby and on top of each table was a sign in bold print that read 'DEBIT/CREDIT CARD DONATIONS'. One table had a brother with a portable card swipping machine at the ready and the other table had 2 sisters each with their own card swipping machine at the ready. It immediately reminded me of Jesus' reference to the money changers that he wound up throwing out of the temple. My wife & I were really taken back by this!

I've read in past WT publications where the society boosts that they ' will never beg nor petition men for support' (The Silver Is Mine, The Gold I s Mine 11/1/07 W pg 17 par 3). This comes damn near close to begging!

I've read numerous posts on this forum where many anticipate the WBTS going mainstream. Well, I'm convince that they are going mainstream in terms of how they intend to generate revenue. Is the passing of the 'collection plate' next?

My overall opinion of the assembly.....on a scale of 1 to 10. A disappointing 3! Will share some notes on other posts.

Thank you.

P.S. Was wondering if any of you who have attended recent assemblies/conventions have noticed the same thing regarding $$$$.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I walked into the lobby. In addition to the usual cardboard donation boxes, I saw two tables (twice the size of card tables) about 30' apart. These tables were not backed up to wall, out of the way like I'd seen at previous visits. No, they were smack dab in the middle of the lobby and on top of each table was a sign in bold print that read 'DEBIT/CREDIT CARD DONATIONS'. One table had a brother with a portable card swipping machine at the ready and the other table had 2 sisters each with their own card swipping machine at the ready. It immediately reminded me of Jesus' reference to the money changers that he wound up throwing out of the temple. My wife & I were really taken back by this!

Now that is truly messed up.

• Scully
    Scully

I think that's one of the first things people actually notice when they start pulling back the WT veil from over their eyes.

We noticed it in the mid-90s when we were in the process of planning our exit. It seemed like every other talk mentioned the need for donations. Then we started putting 2 and 2 together regarding how the process of building Kingdom Halls worked: congregation raises the money for the land, congregation raises money for 50% of the building expenses and borrows the other 50% from the Kingdom Hall Building Fund. The congregation pays "rent" to the WTS, in perpetuity, on a per capita basis and is required to repay the loan/mortgage at a modest rate of interest (which is loaned to them from DONATED money in the first place). In the end, the building is owned by the WTS, thanks to a cool trick that involves incorporating each congregation - which allows them to operate as a charitable organization in its own right, but with built in payments to the WTS (makes it sound like a franchise). Pretty neat little scam they have going... where else can anyone have people GIVE them money without any goods or services exchanged and then lend it back to them, with interest??

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hearing this modern tale of constant begging for money, it is hard to believe that back in the 1960s the only mention from the platform about contributions were that the witnesses NEVER asked for contributions.

Of course it all changed in the early 1970s when the Society needed money to overhaul the printing and typesetting procedures.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

In answer to your question, yes, the WTS is having cash flow issues. If they weren't, they wouldn't be selling off branch offices worldwide and downsizing the rest. Is it enough to break them? Doubtful, but it is great to see that their blatant hypocrisy getting out of hand.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Donations I'm sure must be WAY down in this economy.

• sir82
    sir82

Just curious, if you are comfortable saying so, what country was this?

If the USA, which state?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Was this a CA in the US??? Maybe a pilot program to guage reaction / success. Pretty weird. They are going downhill.

I am sure they are having issues with $$$..... how many are counted as members and still attend that silently object by not donating (wasting) money is the only thing we can do in protest.....and it does feel kinda good.

I used to regularly donate until about 2007-8 or so....now I have an extra 50$ a month for beer! :-)

• blondie
    blondie

What expenses....while they have much property and buildings, it takes money to keep them up, millions of dollars, cash. They have to keep selling property to keep the cash flowing and dogging the rank and file to donate.

• sir82
    sir82

Paying Elders and CO's hush money

Hey wait a minute! I'm owed some back pay!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit