Unbelievable WT Oct 15/2010 2nd study article

by bobld 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I logged in today to post this exact same thing. I'm glad to see someone else beat me to it.

This paragraph made me sick to my stomach and I can't believe that anyone would want to serve a god who would do this. Oh, well, these guys can't read hearts so tell them to just kill everybody in order to make it consistent? WTF?

First of all, I don't believe the Bible so my anger isn't directed at an imaginary tooth fairy in the sky. However, to suggest that this "loving God" would tell his earthly judges to just kill everyone that has committed adultery (without committing murder) just for the sake of neatness is the most awful thing I have ever heard. And all the Witnesses just nod their heads in agreement with this?

Even if God did exist, he would be a rat bastard and I wouldn't want to serve someone like this.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

If God knew he was going to do this before the situation arose, why didn't God stop him from doing it?

What makes you believe God should have stopped David or anyone else from sinning?

• james_woods
    james_woods

What makes you believe God should have stopped David or anyone else from sinning?

First of all, I don't believe the story. However, simple reason would indicate that if God were righteous and able to do it, he would have prevented David from committing a direct murder, rather than seemingly "forgiving" him after the fact, and letting him live on high and merry with the victims widow. Who died for this deed? - not David, but the first illegitimate baby.

It is a sickening story, one which paints God as a co-conspirator in the wife-stealing and murder.

• Curtains
    Curtains

the moral of this story - God cannot enforce his own laws against kings. Kings always live their lives according to their own passions.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

@ prodigal son

You said: Because Jehovah is Satan, Jehovah is a murderer, and Jehovah ordered David to take the census. Here's the Biblical "proof":

"And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel." ~1 Chronicles 21:1.

"And again the anger of JEHOVAH was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah." ~2 Samuel 24:1

I doubt God would put something in David's mind and then condemn him afterwards. Although I see that most Bible translations render 2 Samuel 24:1 as you say, except for Young's Literal Translation which says "And the anger of Jehovah addeth to burn against Israel, and an adversary moveth David about them, saying, 'Go, number Israel and Judah.'"

Nevertheless, I still can't get over the fact that 70 thousand innocent people died because of a stupid census. They had no say in the process. I don't care who it was that put this idea into David's mind, why did all those people have to die??

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

A loving God wouldn't allow an innocent man to suffer. The adultry wasn't nearly as bad as the murder. Couldn't God have told Uriah that he should sleep with his wife as David had originally planned to cover up the pregency? Why did poor Uriah have to die?

And the census took so many lives, as if those innocent people meant nothing.

It is very difficult for many to reconcile the God of the Old Testament with Jesus message of love and peace.

BTW - I thought of Blondie when the David example was used right away. It's almost as if the WT writer directed it to her!

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

@ easyreader1970 I thought the same thing when studying this article. I was thinking if there was a woman accused of adultery, there would be no way the high priest or whoever would be able to read her heart (i don't believe there was a provision for change of heart after committing the deed in the Mosaic Law), so she'd be stoned to death. However the situation is different for the king, he can play the game according to his rules as Curtains said. Isn't it evidence of unfairness and favoritism?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Nobleheart, you're absolutely right. The TRUE God would never put a thought into someone's head and then condemn them for it. But Jehovah of the Old Testament certainly would. Just go back and read the Garden of Eden story again with that in mind.....

~PS

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Isn't it evidence of unfairness and favoritism?

Too right it is! The very same thing is played out in every single congregation across the globe. Justice is meted out according to who you are, who you are related to or what clique you are a part of.

• sir82
    sir82

The more I think about it, the more that explanation (paragraph 16) makes no sense.

The reasoning is along these lines:

God knows ahead of time his human judges are going to completely and utterly screw up, so he gives them a law that is harsher than God's own standards so that at least some of the time something resembling justice can be carried out?

What kind of standard is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit