Creationist Theme Park: "Ark Encounter"

by leavingwt 91 Replies latest social current

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Tammy, you are confusing Young Earth Creationism with Flood dating.

Since Gen 1:1 says that in the beginning God created , etc., so the beginning may have been zillions of years ago, its not specific.

OTOH, the Bible is very specific as to the dating of the flood. So if you believe the Bible literally talks about a literal flood, you must accept the Bible's dating of it a little over 4000 years ago. And then your argument that evolution occurs in such a short time frame seems extremely ridiculous. Yes, laughable.

• tec
    tec

Thank you TD and Bohm, for those explanations. I have a bare basic understanding of exactly how gene pools, etc, work. All I was trying to respond to was that all the kinds (beetles, birds, arachnids, canines, felines, etc.), could have fit onto an ark, and then evolved from there. I do not have a creationist model view of things - and there is no reason to think that evolution had not been happening before the flood, or that it changed from after the flood until today.

Most of the rest is over my head. But if we can misunderstand something (such as how much would have had to be on the ark) - then we can misunderstand other things as well. It is just a possibility, and that possibility leaves me open to the idea of an ark, flood, and repopulation - just not the literal version as we seem to have it, at this point in time.

Scientists don't know everything, therefore they don't know anything.

I would never and have never said this, nor do I believe it. In fact, I rely on science to explain scientific things. But science does not know how to explain everything, and is sometimes wrong in what it has previously stated, and then, when it is wrong, it reevaluates the evidence and searches to find the right answer - and then we have something new that sometimes explains previous 'impossible' things. Which as I said above, simply leaves me 'open' to other possibilities.

Tammy

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I'm gonna throw Tammy a bone, by mentioning how quickly and easily a domestic dog (and all subsequent diverse breeds of dog) can be bred from a wolf. (about 30 generations I think). Having said that, I recently watched a programme on National Geographic which touched briefly upon the flood and Noah's Ark. They got a boat builder to make a scale model, and calculated the theorized weight of all animal species, then added it into the boat. The boat collapsed within seconds. Angels must've been holding Noah's together, I tells ya!

At the entrance to the park, are they gonna have a sign which reads 'You must be this dumb to go on this ride'...?

Okily Dokily...Neighbourino!

• tec
    tec
    I'm gonna throw Tammy a bone, by mentioning how quickly and easily a domestic dog (and all subsequent diverse breeds of dog) can be bred from a wolf. (about 30 generations I think)

HA HA HA!!!!!! *DOES HAPPY DANCE AROUND THE ROOM* HA HA HA HA - er, cough, sputter, gasp...

Just kidding :)

Thanks for the bone, though, and the exceptionally clever use of that metaphor :)

Tammy

• NeckBeard
  • bohm
    bohm

but the rapid breeding domestic dog happened mostly by selecting allready existing allelles of geenes in the HUGE dog gene pool.

with a small gene pool there is nothing to select and mix! you got to create the genetic material from the ground up, and it happends through natural selection NOT the more effective breeding.

and the time scale is STILL to large for the litteral christian model.

• eric356
    eric356

This is a temple of stupidity.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Sorry Tammy.

I really really would love to believe in god (who wants an eternity of nuthin'?). I'm just bitter and twisted and take the pee far too much. I've always had a big problem with Noah's ark when I was a Witness. I used to go through loads of what ifs etc, to make it fit. I commend you for your belief and faith.

Sorry again. I don't like to be facetious.

• Mythbuster
  • tec
    tec

OLNW

You don't have to apologize to me. I wasn't offended at all, and I did get a chuckle out of the 'throw a bone' followed by the dogs bred from wolves :)

I haven't taken the flood account literally in I don't know how long. (which is not to say that I ever closed myself off to the possibility entirely) But someone brought up the kinds vs. species a while back, and it gave me cause to add just a little more oomph to that possibility. Sure there are all sorts of other difficulties and impossibilities to overcome before this could be an actual scientific theory. But if one can be done, then it is not outside the realm of possibility that others can be too. Including the fact that someone writing this account however many years ago wrote from within their own understanding of the world. So an actual even may have been much deeper than the simple account we've been given.

Anyway... sorry LWT. I totally hijacked this thread by stating something way back on page one. I do think the theme park is cool, regardless of whether someone believes in all that stuff or not. I mean, how popular were (and still are) the movies, 'Ten Commandments' or 'Ben Hur' for believers or non-believers?

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit