"Are you In the Truth?"

by Nickolas 202 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dawntodaylight
    dawntodaylight

No one is in the truth. No one knows the truth. And we will probably never know the truth! We can only believe we have the truth. But that does not make it the truth. That term "the truth" always hit a nerve with me. It is a term that jw's use that encourages the brainwashing aFfect to the mind.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Gladiator gets my vote for most rational, eloquent, and diplomatic reply of the day.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

finally someone who gets it. Congratulations, dawntodaylight.

We're all wrong, because knowing all that there is to know is not possible. But what remains within our purview is recognising and ultimately knowing what is not possible. If someone tells us that something is possible, believes it with all his/her heart and soul as a matter of fact, but cannot furnish even the tiniest, most miniscule fragment of real proof, then we can only be left with the understanding that it is in all probability not the truth.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Gladiator gets my vote for most rational, eloquent, and diplomatic reply of the day.

Mine too. Even after two more pages.

• poppers
    poppers

I agree with those who say Gladiator gave a great response. Well done.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Jesus is the light of the world. And "if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

<<I doubt that was the first time you said that, Vander. I propose you have used those exact words many times over, and slight variations of those words many times more than that.>>

Guilty as charged Nick! As a matter of fact I tend to quote scripture quite regularly.

Joh 8:12 ... I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Truth bears repeating my friend.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Truth bears repeating my friend.

This is not intended to incite or offend, but the lesson learned from tired, old men in neighborhood pubs who tell the same yarn over and over again to those who are patient enough to listen to him is that the more often he repeats something with conviction, even if it was a tall tale to begin with, the more he himself will come to believe it to be true.

An old fable concerns the comeuppance of a braggart who was forever retelling the story of a truly stupendous leap that he had once made on the island of Rhodes. Never, it seemed, had there ever been witnessed such a heroic long-jump. Though the teller never grew tired of the tale, the same could not be said of his audience. Finally, as he again drew breath to relate the story of the great feat, one of those present silenced him by saying gruffly, "Hie Rhodus, hie salta!" (Here is Rhodes, jump here!)

Christopher Hitchens.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<This is not intended to incite or offend but the lesson learned from tired, old men in neighborhood pubs who tell the same yarn over and over again...>>

No offence taken Nick. Like you I'm not impressed by tired old men who spin fabrications. I listen instead to tireless martyrs of the faith who gave their time, energy and even their life's blood gladly, for the truth. Their words are worth repeating. And I listen to Jesus, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross dispising the shame. Yet it seems that many find that story and His words quite offensive.

Vander

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Those who are in the truth exibit moral integrity
    scriptures from: kenboa.org.
    Moral Integrity and Honesty: Part 2 Taken from Handbook to Renewal

I know, my God, that You test the heart and are pleased with integrity. (1 Chronicles 29:17)

I will let the fear of the Lord be upon me, and I will be careful in what I do, for with the Lord my God there is no injustice or partiality or bribery. (2 Chronicles 19:7)

I want to be a faithful person who fears God. (Nehemiah 7:2)

I will be careful that no one entices me by riches; I will not let a bribe turn me aside. (Job 36:18)

May those who hope in You not be ashamed because of me, O Lord God of hosts; may those who seek You not be dishonored because of me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)

Blessed are they who maintain justice, who do righteousness at all times. (Psalm 106:3)

I will not enter the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. (Proverbs 4:14 )

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to Him: haughty eyes , a lying tongue,! hands that shed innocent blood , a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run swiftly to evil, a false witness who breathes lies, and one who causes strife among brothers. (Proverbs 6:16 -19)

The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; wisdom hates pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverse mouth. (Proverbs 8:13 )

He who walks in integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his way will be found out. (Proverbs 10:9)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Those who are in the truth exibit moral integrity
    Moral Integrity and Honesty: Part 4

Taken from Handbook to Renewal

Everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)

He who is faithful with very little is also faithful with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. If one is not faithful in handling worldly wealth, who will trust him with true riches? And if one is not faithful with someone else’s property, who will give him property of his own? (Luke 16:10-12)

I will walk properly as in the daytime, not in revellings and drunkenness, not in promiscuity and debauchery, not in strife and jealousy. Rather, I will put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision to gratify the lusts of the flesh. (Romans 13:13-14)

I will keep the feast of Christ, my Passover, not with old leaven, or with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. (1 Corinthians 5:7-8)

I will flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. (1 Corinthians 6:18)

I will not set my heart on evil things, or be an idolater, or commit sexual immorality. (1 Corinthians 10:6-8)

I do not want even a hint of immorality, or any impurity, or greed in my life, as is proper for a saint. Nor will I give myself to obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking, which are not fitting, but rather to giving of thanks. (Ephesians 5:3-4)

I will have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather I will expose them. (Ephesians 5:11)

I will consider the members of my earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming, and in them I once walked when I lived in them. (Colossians 3:5-7)

This is the will of God, my sanctification, that I abstain from immorality and learn to possess my own vessel in sanctification and honor. For God did not call me to be impure, but to live a holy life. (1 Thessalonians 4:3-4, 7)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit