Help me become a real CRAZY FUNDIE ATHEIST parent!

by bohm 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

http://richardathome.wordpress.com/2006/11/03/an-athiests-10-commandments/

1) Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you.

(2) In all things, strive to cause no harm.

(3) Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness and respect.

(4) Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.

(5) Live life with a sense of joy and wonder.

(6) Always seek to be learning something new.

(7) Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.

(8) Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

(9) Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.

(10) Question everything.

• bohm
    bohm

Scully! Ah, is that the so-called fundie atheist propaganda! I will make sure to drill that into the heads of my children!

• Scully
    Scully

bohm, yes, these are the highly radical and militant humanist/atheist principles of daily living.

We are awful human beings, aren't we?

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Bohm said:

i was hoping to show that no matter how poor parenting skill atheists can display, no matter how poor their judgement is (and i am certain there are numorous examples), it is just not possible to find the atheist equivalent of a larger religious sect, who will stone their children to death or let them die because a bunch of old farts god supposedly hand-picked think some medical procedure is "bad".

Fundy atheists kill their offspring in gruesome ways and calll it "choice". They also tell their gay children they are stuck that way and there is nothing they can do about it. Before you object that there is nothing wrong with the above, keep in mind that Fundie religious nuts think there is nothing wrong with what they do.

I think the above example is about equivalent (in terms of potential trauma) to telling your child about hellfire or armageddon in a graphic way...

Exactly my point.

• bohm
    bohm

are these things truly equivalent to eg. genetial mutilation in your mind, mad dawg?

• tec
    tec

Bohm, are you looking for someone to say that there is no crazy fundie atheist group? Because if you are, then I'm saying it. (as far as I know anyway) However, there are atheists (and they can group themselves together) who are intolerant and prejudiced against anyone of faith, thinking that those people are a dying breed of superstition who will soon (hopefully) pass away.

Before all is said and done, I imagine that intolerance will get worse by some, and then we might actually see some crazy fundy atheist groups. But until then, no, there are none who do worse in the name of atheism, than some who do in the name of whatever god they choose to serve.

Tammy

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

We are not talking about me. We are talking about how Fundy Atheists compare to Fundy Baptists or Muslims or whatever. I'll bet that Muslims would say that at least the girls survive FGM. They would also claim that it serves a greater social purpose - just as Fundy Athiests do.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I'm having a hard time digesting something implied earlier, bohm. So, in your mind, showing a picture of a 4-month aborted fetus is WORSE than the killing itself?!

• caliber
    caliber

Teach them things like .. "You're here for a good time not a long"

Question the value of invisible things faith , hope and love for anyone or any thing outside of yourself.

Focus on their own agenda, rather than that of others.

Tell them to always remember they are the most important person in the world both past and present.

Wake up each morning with a new set of idea's and goals.. convictions are of no value... just float freely about forever (meaning 70 or eighty years)

Trust other people only when absolutely necessary

One needs to act in a mainly self-interested way in order to advance in life

Co-operation with your family may be beneficial thus your DNA can gain a kind of everlasting life

Never waste time ponding or believing in any living force greater than humans

Hope is just the sweet little old lady that lives down the street

• bohm
    bohm

tec: Its more that i think there lack a sence of scale, and putting dawkins and osama under the same "fundie" label is bad for the discussion.

"I imagine that intolerance will get worse by some, and then we might actually see some crazy fundy atheist groups" -- as hard as it is for me to imagine such a group, i will trust humankind to come up with some way to mess up a sure thing ;-).

Mad Dawg:

We are not talking about me. We are talking about how Fundy Atheists compare to Fundy Baptists or Muslims or whatever. I'll bet that Muslims would say that at least the girls survive FGM. They would also claim that it serves a greater social purpose - just as Fundy Athiests do.

...and they might also eat cornflakes "just as Fundy Atheists do" (love your capitalization btw). I find it tiresome to talk with you when you keep dodging questions.

Journey-on: Perhaps it is better you state the implication i made earlier so we dont get each other wrong?.

Look, abortions is a gray-zone in my oppinion and i would not abort a healthy 12-week fetus myself. But its hardly the topic.

Mad Dawg asserted atheists somehow show aborted fetuses to their children. or could. or should. or might do. or something else, you never know with mad dawg, it was his post and it didnt make sence to me. At any rate, atheists dont do that (it would seem), but some crazy pastor do.

There are two issues, one is if abortions are okay morally - i think we should leave that for the moment. The second is scaring kids with pictures of abortions in order to serve an agenda. I think the last part is wrong because i think children should be shielded from such images.

For example, burning the face of apostate women with acid is bad, but it would not justify showin such images to children, because that would be bad to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit