Help me become a real CRAZY FUNDIE ATHEIST parent!

by bohm 65 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think Sussies mother didn't take the time to fully explain the situation to her. She should have pointed out that some day in the not too distant future mommy would be going the way of grandma and not long after that Sussie's pointless existance would come to end. And if Sussie had children they would all suffer the same fate. Then Sussie's mother should have made sure Sussie understood that nothing happens to anyone after we die there just dead and that no matter what anyone else says she knows this to be the absolute truth.

If your going to pop the kids bubble you want to make sure you do a good job of it.

• bohm
    bohm

I miss more input from the people who normally talk about fundie atheists

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Take them to watch a partial-birth abortion and tell them it is no different than having their tonsils removed.

• bohm
    bohm

Mad Dawg: Can you provide a link for fundie atheists who actually do that? you DID read the post, right?

• bohm
    bohm

But Mad Dawg bring out an excellent point, because the immoral and cruel practice of showing aborted fetuses to children is ofcourse carried out by crazy fundie christians. So how about it Dawg, can you provide a link of fundie atheists who do that in the name of no-belief?

"And the children who see these pictures see clearly what should be done: stop the killing! "
    http://pastorbryanlongworth.blogspot.com/2010/03/personhood-fl-psl-stop-causes.html

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

What is so cruel about it if it a fetus is the equivelent of tonsils?

• bohm
    bohm

Mad Dawg: do you even READ the topic?

I am interested in things actual fundie atheists do to their children to mess them up.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Tell them their life is meaningless, that it is just a cosmic accident and 100 years from now it will not have made a difference that they were ever here. Be sure to them this everyday.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Bohm, please quit chastising people (Mad Dawg) for their contribution to this thread.

Can you provide a link for fundie atheists who actually do that?

Your request is a bit absurd, bohm. Atheists are not really organized into any sort of group like religions are, so it would be hard to acquire a documented example (from the pulpit, so to speak.) The ones we have given you on this thread are probably as common and valid as the ones you listed in your first post regarding fundies.

To be honest, although I know lots of people that attend some kind of Christian denomination church, I know very few, if any, fundamentalists. I'm not a church-goer myself, but I believe in God (not the skydaddy-take-names-and-kick-butt kind though). JWs are the closest thing to it. Most other religious people I know are balanced, fairly open-minded, loving and tolerant.

"Fundie" anything isn't good. A strong closed minded atheist with strict atheist beliefs is just as bad as a fundamentalist religious person. My thinking is that people should trust their own inner voice and base their belief or non-belief in the Divine on their own personal experiences. Gentle guidance and open discussion with children is the important thing, and then allow and support a child's decision to follow the path they feel drawn to.

• bohm
    bohm

Journey-on:

Your request is a bit absurd, bohm. Atheists are not really organized into any sort of group like religions are, so it would be hard to acquire a documented example

This is precicely one of the points i am trying to make, who are the fundie atheists? I have seen this term been thrown around a lot, usually in the context of "fundie atheists are just as bad as fundie religious people", and i want to investigate that claim because i think its wrong.

A strong closed minded atheist with strict atheist beliefs is just as bad as a fundamentalist religious person

Really? Dont get me wrong. I think there are plenty of brain-damaged atheists, and i would perhaps agree if you phrased it "just as stubborn" or "just as obnoxious" or even "just as focused on one singular subject that it fill his entire world" (but i would hate to try to find the atheist equivalent of a muslim suicide bomber or brainwashed scientologist).

But you have to give me there ARE fundamentalist religious people who will use religion as an argument for genetial mutilation on girls, for flying planes into skyscrapers and for hanging moms for bad-mouthing a known pedophile (yesterdays topic). THEY are the true crazy religious fundamentalists, and they are at a whole other level than the average "crazy fundie atheist" who, as it in my experience allways turn out, is just some delusional guy with a youtube account, a bad attitude and a very sad life. Or alternatively, a title for Richard Dawkins that is used in a strawman.

I used humor to underline this issue because when i think of what a truly crazy fundamentalist atheist should do it become quite funny (in a sad way -- read darwin to them every night?), and i was hoping to show that no matter how poor parenting skill atheists can display, no matter how poor their judgement is (and i am certain there are numorous examples), it is just not possible to find the atheist equivalent of a larger religious sect, who will stone their children to death or let them die because a bunch of old farts god supposedly hand-picked think some medical procedure is "bad".

As for Mad Dawg -- well, he is precisely the person i am interested in input from because he has often used the term "fundie atheist" and apparently have some expertice in what this deranged group(s) do.

The problem is that i am not looking at evil things one can imagine the opposite party might do -- i mean, i can imagine a fundie atheist mom who microwave 3 of her 5 kids and call it "natural selection" --- but that is hardly on topic. (I even think it is plausible this might have happened, but there is a destinction between a mentally ill mom who happends to be an atheist, and a group of real fundie atheists who microwave children as an integrated part of their belief there is no God.).

I am interested in things that are actually being done. His example with abortions was especially interesting because my first thought was: "jesus christs what kind of sick bastard would do THAT?!" and i was about to chastice him for making such a cruel thing up, but then a small voice told me "dont underestimate the craziest of the craziest christians [dont feel offended, i am using the word in its loose sence]" and well, one google search later and we have a pastor who actually defend showing aborted fetuces to children.

which kind of proove my point.

As for his second example

Tell them their life is meaningless, that it is just a cosmic accident and 100 years from now it will not have made a difference that they were ever here. Be sure to them this everyday.

I think two things are clear: One, Mad Dawg is again just fantasising and making up an extremely naive picture of what a group of atheists might begin to do. I mean, why?!. I would wager a beer he just made the example up on the spot as to support his image of "them evil atheists".

Two, even if Mad Dawg didnt just made it up, and there really is a group of fundie atheists who tell their children every night that life has no meaning (very patient children, by the way), it hardly disprove my point that the most hardcore fundie atheist stuff is a pretty far cry of the daily stupidity certain sects practice, I think the above example is about equivalent (in terms of potential trauma) to telling your child about hellfire or armageddon in a graphic way, and i properly dont have to look for long to find a group of christians who do that.

This being said, I dont want to imply there are fundie religious people on this site in the sence i have used the words in this thread. I dont want to imply in any way that there is anything wrong with how you live your life or raise your children, and i have as a matter of fact seen studies which support that people with a moderate amount of religion can have benefits from that over people who do not. Richard Dawkins argue (as far as i remember) that fundamentalism and moderate religion is the same, and i disagree strongly.

I just dont like the label fundie atheist, because very often one end up with a category error where Richard Dawkins and Osama Bin Laden end up in the same box, and I dont think thats very good.

I am ofcourse also guilty of this to some extend, and i have desided to be more carefull about labels such as creationist (it dawned on me that allmost all christians believe the universe was created, and the term is far to general) or religious fundamentalist, and refer more to specific groups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit