How many of you atheists, agnostics, deists are celebrating Xmas??

by SweetBabyCheezits 56 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

We are celebrating xmas this year for the first time. It's kinda weird because, even though we're doing a xmas tree, decorations, gifts, we're more or less taking the Christ out of Christmas. I'm all about taking someone else's custom and removing the religious aspect so we can have a reason to party. But I still want to emphasize giving (esp to the needy) to our kids. Peace, goodwill, all that jazz.

So how about the rest of you non-Christian heathens?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    we're more or less taking the Christ out of Christmas

Voila! thats what everybody does, even Christians.... Feliz Navidad! hohohoho!

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Well, I knew you would CJ. You're probably hanging little Ouija board ornaments from your tree.

I'm feeling a bit like a JW in that I'll put up a tree but I refuse to top it with a star. (Maybe a snowman or snowflake, but not a star.) The difference is I know I'm being irrational.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is my third Christmas of sharing with my Dad's side of the family (never JW's) that includes his wife and younger adult children.

Even though I am a heathen, they want to exchange presents and wish everyone peace on earth during the secular holiday known as Christmas. It has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus the way they and I participate, so what the heck.

Because I have a JW wife, there is no lights or trees or wreaths put up at home, but sky's the limit at Dad's house.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

i am going all xmas up in here. as long as I don't had to deal with too much jesus stuff i can handle it

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I have to put the Angel on top of the Tree. And I always make comments about it.

You know this dude wasn't even Born in December you know? and why an Angel????? WHY not the Star hon?? It was Satan the star can't we put Satan on top of the Tree?

So we compromised..... I get to hang South Park figures as Ornements... so I'm happy

Feliz Natal

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm not an atheist but I don't see why an atheist wouldn't celebrate it if they raised with it and enjoyed it. The way it is celebrated probably has more to do with Charles Dickens than the Bible anyway. I think it is just a lot of fun for people no matter what they believe. Even Richard Dawkins celebrates Christmas and enjoys singing carols.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1100842/Why-I-celebrate-Christmas-worlds-famous-atheist.html

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I'm agnostic, so I treat it as a fun day to give gifts, donate to charity, see (non-Dubby) family, and so on. I haven't done a big tree yet, but I'm planning on doing it next year.

Basically, I do the "fun" parts and leave Christ in the manger where he belongs. ;)

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

(Sorry, double-posted!)

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I used to set up the Manger scene for the Town I worked for.

I would hold Mary and do my best Jimmy Stewart Wonderful Life voice.........

Mary.... Mary don't you know me Mary it's me George Bailey!!! MARY!

Everyone thought it was funny........ well not everyone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit