How many of you atheists, agnostics, deists are celebrating Xmas??

by SweetBabyCheezits 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

ROTFLOL @ Darth

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist and, having been raised in the Borg, Xmas means nothing to me. It didn't then and it doesn't now.

I give gifts when I am moved to by my inner daemons for my own reasons, and I resist like crazy the obligation to reciprocate. I refuse to let a priest dictate how I shall behave.

However, I fully approve of the co-opting of Xmas by commercial interests. The egoism and selfishness it engenders reveal the hypocrisy of Xtiandom.

• ele_lux
    ele_lux

Does participatin in the card exchage and Secert Santa count as celebrating? If so, I'm celebrating christmas for the first time this year ^^

As soon as I move farter away from my parents I'll get myself a Xmas tree.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Hi Sweets

I'm pretty ctafty, and I have a great Idea for on top of your tree. Okay use your imagination. Take a light bulb....spray it yellow, draw a pretty face on it, glue some very pretty wings on the back, wire it to the top of your tree, and voilla....the angel of new light! I also plan on spray painting some light bulbs yellow, and glueing red felt christmas hats on them and hanging them from a tree.....new light ornaments.

I am still fadding so I will let you have the fun this year...

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Me Me Me.

I have a tree with a train running around it with a pile of decorations. I don't care about the religious crap etc its all about fun. Nothing says fun like getting and giving presents. I am banned from getting up before 6 am to open the presents.

At the age of 48 I spend a day behaving like a child who never had christmas and boy do I make up for it now

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

I love celebrating Christmas.

Although this year we are not giving traditional gifts to everyone in the family (can't afford it, besides I feel it gets out of hand and looses the point...besides it's too stressful). I refuse to use any credit cards this year. So this year, since we're broke and just bought a new stove...we are making meals to enjoy and get fat on. I love putting up the Christmas tree and decorating it. I have my husband put the lights up the day after Thanksgiving. Lol. We just spend the day changing the house around to look nice and relaxing. No stress, no pressure, just a relaxing Christmas at home this year.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I've already spent hundreds on gifts. My kid's having a hard time waiting until Dec. 25. I think I may just give a gift a week, starting with Thanksgiving.

I'm not an atheist, though. I'm kind of a Wayist.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

Earlier today I read a review for "The Atheist's Guide to Christmas", (a new book) so it's kind of funny that I would promptly see this thread. My wife and I were both born-in's JWs, so we are easing into holidays. Birthdays this year. Depending on how badly our fade goes, we might have lights up next year.

The point of the book seemed to be a response to the "keep Christ in Christmas" crowd. The reality is that they are the ones trying to shoe-horn him into Christmas. Most of the traditions, including the season of celebration, gathering with family, the tree, gift-giving, and the spirit of new beginnings were part of the original pagan mid-winter festivals.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe there are other reasons besides believing in Jesus as your ransomer to celebrate Christmas. For one thing, one could celebrate his attempt to liberate mankind from God's tyranny--and use Halloween to celebrate the other major attempt to liberate us from Jehovah.

Additionally, Christmas can be used to celebrate other things. We could share love on Christmas Day--you may have heard the Christmas song "Give Love on Christmas Day". It can be used to reconnect with family and friends. We can also reflect on material blessings, taking the time to enjoy our material prosperity. It is also a day of peace. As for the lights, we can take them as symbolizing enlightenment. Or, we can put them up just because it looks festive, or elegant, or both. If we are making New Years resolutions, Christmas can also be used as a time to prepare for such.

And yes, I am doing Christmas. I have plenty of Christmas music, ranging from traditional to the rock, country, soul, and even rap (Afroman) and a touch of Satan (Christmas With the Devil by Spinal Tap). Also, I have tons of Christmas LED lights (yes, LEDs are cost effective and safer--no blown fuses or burns for me). Not to mention, others get the pleasure of enjoying the decorations I put up in the common areas in my building.

• Darth plaugeis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit