Tower of Babel built by Babies!

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Literal reading of Genesis will always get you in trouble - the text has been compiled from pre-existing cultures and was put in written form after centuries of oral tradition. The fragmentation of the text accounts for much of the inconsistencies in it.

The story of the tower and city of Babel seems to be somewhat out of place in the position that it has been placed.

Genesis is composed of several oral traditions that have been woven together and the fragments of the different stories that have survived don’t quite link up properly. I believe that the story in Genesis 11 would ‘read’ better if it was placed somewhere prior to the beginning of Genesis 5.

I think that this fragment of oral tradition has been misplaced in the written order when the Old Testament was eventually put into written form. Genesis 11:1-9 appears to ‘not fit’ when you read the context around it. It has been placed in the middle of a genealogical record that addresses the generations that arose after the flood of Noah.

In the passages that precede Genesis 11, it is evident that different tribes of men already had different languages. And, it is also apparent that these tribes are already ‘scattered’. Genesis 10:20 says:

These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries and in their nations.

The story of Babel in Genesis 11 predates the story of Nimrod in Genesis 10.

Genesis 10:10 says this about Nimrod:

And the beginnings of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, And Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

The text reads such that Nimrod’s kingdom was established after Babel was named. Babel did not exist prior to the story told in Genesis 11 – it came about after the Lords scattered ‘the people’ abroad after confounding the language. Genesis 11:9 says:

Therefore is the name of it called Babel…

And, the other interesting thing about Genesis 11 is that it is one of the places in the Old Testament that the Lord is referred to in the plural. Verse 7 says:

Go to, let us go down and there confound their language…

Which is another reason why I think that this passage belongs to the same larger oral creation myth that Genesis 1:26 comes from:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness…

The form of Genesis 11, from verse 1 to verse 9, is quite beautiful and melodious – it uses recurring expression and structure – it is very poetic. The repetition of words is what keeps the text flowing. (I use the King James version….I love the unicorns in it…smiley: happy)

Take the first few words from each stanza…:

"And the whole earth…

"And it came to pass…

"And they said…

"And they said…

"And the Lord came down…

"And the Lord said…

Etc….

The meaning is quite specific in the text that falls within the proscribed structure. Therefore, when the text says "the whole earth", I think it really does mean – the whole earth. The first verse does not say ‘children of men’ like verse 5 does. It says ‘the whole earth’. It was ‘the children of men’ who did the building of the city and tower. When the text refers to ‘people’, I believe it is referring to all beings who lived on the earth…’people’ would mean animal people, bird people, fish people, plant people….

I think that this story is referring to a time in the world’s mythic past when people believed that communication was possible between all living things. Many cultures around the world have origin myths that refer to a past in which men and animals were able to communicate with each other. Therefore, the phrase ‘the whole earth’ means just that – communication between all living things –plants included.

The Lords’ conclusion that: "…and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do" is quite intriguing.

What I try to understand is why the unification, through language and speech, of all living things – animals, plants, and the ‘children of men’ – would pose such a serious threat to the ‘Lords’.

Did all those other living things have knowledge that the Lords didn’t want the children of men to have? Why would that unbroken communication be something that needed to be changed? What would our world be like if we, as humans/children of men, could communicate freely and abundantly with the rest of the ‘people’ – the animals, birds, fish and even plants? What would they tell us? What could the ‘whole earth’ tell us about our existence here, where we came from, and where we are going? What secrets could the birds tell us? What do the animals know that we don’t?

And…who are the Lords? What kind of beings are they?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

That's an interesting suggestion that originally animals and man spoke the same language. Just the other day I was wondering about the talking serpent in the Eden account. The account is really saying that all snakes could talk back then, not that one snake was possessed by Satan, as Witnesses will say. So I was wondering to myself, "Why could snakes talk then and not now? Didn't the Jews have any explanation for that in one of their stories?" It seemed like the sort of loose thread that would warrant some kind of explanation, and the Eden account doesn't say that the snake was stripped of its speaking ability.

So perhaps this Babel account originally more clearly stated that the animals could still communicate with men. However, as it stands, the account says "all the earth", not "all of the earth's creatures" or some similar phrase that could refer to non-human animals. I just take it to be a poetic phrase referring to all of human society.

It's actually an odd choice of words, since all humans were living in one little area at this point, post-Flood. If this story is misplaced, though, and belongs before the Flood, it makes more sense. In fact, it makes more sense anywhere else than where it is, such as well after the Flood when there would have been more people for such a project. As you indicated, this part of the Bible is a mishmash of old stories. It's likely that the Babel story was not originally part of some timeline or continuity that included the Flood story, and that's why it's not very compatible with it.

As to what it was that God (or the gods) were afraid of, it was probably just the tower itself, since if it was built up to the firmament, then perhaps it could be used as a siege tower in an assault on heaven. Later religious leaders, in a time where God was (or the gods were) more powerful, might have found this idea of an assault on heaven challenging to the majesty of the gods, and so they distanced themselves from the original premise by having the men say, "We will make a celebrated name for ourselves." The gods then say in response, "If man can do this, then he could do anything, and it's an affront to the gods for man to think so much of himself", thus explaining the language confusion as a punishment for hubris rather than a defensive maneuver in a war between earth-dwellers and heaven-dwellers.

As to who the gods would be, we know that early Jewish culture is in fact Canaanite culture, and initially they shared the same polytheistic beliefs. So the gods would likely be the 70 sons of El (or some later derivative of this belief), as discussed in various places on this forum. See Leolaia's posts here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/165791/1/YHWH-a-minor-pagan-god-Ugaritic-Texts-and-the-Sons-of-El

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have found in my studies that this story was taken from an old Akkadian, Sumerian, or Babylonian story about the god Enki confusing peoples languages. A tower was not metioned, so that part was added later. Most the stories in the book of Genesis were copies from older stories then later changed and adapted for the Hebrews.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I suppose those stories just refer to human language being confused, and don't mention animals?

• Island Man
    Island Man

No wonder it's called the tower of babel. "Goochy goo goo geee baba block towa..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit