Tower of Babel built by Babies!

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nelly136
    nelly136

the inbreeding must have been horrific.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

crikey!

1. i doubt the women were popping out babies at 90, so i guess the old dudes got to savour young ripe fruits...

2. i feel dumb. In all my days in and out i never looked at or questioned their or the bibles time lines...

3. Oz slaps self

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Wasn't this impressive growth rate partially due to them being still so close to perfection back then? Must be why we keep needing new light cos the GB are a long way from perfection now

mmxiv

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

In typical Witchtower fashion they work out this math about males fathering kids without bothering to calculate either how many females might have been born, or at what age they became fertile.

Nowadays girls experience the menarche earlier than ever, due to the chemicals and hormones found in our food - unless evolution is preparing us for some shock to come (cod now become fertile earlier too - and they are nearing extinction)

So how many females were born and managed to produce such a huge number in only 90 years.

Medieval europe took centuries to breed to the levels we now have, after the black death.

ignoring the lineages:

Shem Ham Japheth, year 1

Each produces a girl.

Year two another girl.

year three

each produces a boy.

18 years later, the children are ready to breed.

In the meantime over 18 years, S,H and J give birth to 12 more girls and 6 more boys.

Total breedable stockat this point : 15 fertile kids.

Every year another crop becomes fertile.

Even inventing litters of triplets and quads it cannot get up to 400o in the timescale suggested.

Look how many descendants of Fletcher Christian there were after 200 years.

I was doing the above off the top of my head. Will sit down after dinner with a pen and calculator. Hope nobody beats me to the result.

The calculation also does not take into account infant mortality, Barrenness ( a real problem among the Shemites) and the incidence of twins and triplets. I will try to check the incidence of this as a %.

HB

• Heaven
    Heaven

I love when math shows how ludicrous religious stories are!

Like the math not adding up when a JW says they are preaching to all the inhabitted Earth. Do the math... it don't compute!

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

I see the Insight/Aid books official address to this issue was posted. However, I realized a long time ago that the math was wrong with everything surrounding the flood and post-flood. This was my first big issue that woke me up. I spoke to numerous high up bethel elders, cos, missionaries, etc. on this matter. Everyone just replied that 'although they could not make sense of it either, that I should just wait on Jehovah'. After many years of waiting and discovering a number of other matters wrong, I checked out. However, I still have never seen one single apologetic JW able to address this very issue.

I would love to hear what some egomaniac JW like egnogg or Scholar has to say about this issue. So to you apologetics out there, go on - read through the points presented on this thread - make your reply. Your silence is reminiscent of the multiple elders and long-time JWs that could never answer, and all but agreed that it doesn't compute.

For you other lurking JWs with serious concerns over your beliefs, seriously, don't do what I did. Don't waste years hoping that one day God will give new light to the entourage in Brooklyn. Math is not something that can be interpreted or made to fit your belief system. It's not something that Satan has control over. It's math, plain and simple. Would God give us the ability to compute basic calculations and then expect us to believe stories that contradict such simple math? If the WT can't get math right on this matter, isn't it obvious that they can't get their math right on the whole 607/1914 issue? For that matter, if they can't get the definition of generation correct, what makes you think they can get the definition of blood correct?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Further on BluesBrother's quote: "...in a period of about 180 years from the end of the Flood (that is, by 2189 B.C.E.) the population could have grown to a total of over 4,000 adult males. This conservative number would be ample to fit the circumstances relating to the tower construction..."

I find it interesting that in the account of 2 Chron. 2, for example, that temple construction required 70,000 burden bearers, 80,000 stone cutters, 3,600 overseers, and the additional woodcutters were paid 20,000 cors of wheat, 20,000 cors of barley, 20,000 baths of wine, 20,000 baths of oil. As construction projects go, the temple itself was a tiny building, yet required over 100,000 people to construct.

Conversely, how could a mere 4,000 constructing a tower in 2189 BC put the fear of man into God? How did these anti-god forces have superior building methods to the Israelite temple-builders? If the Tower of Babel could have been constructed by 4000, shouldn't the temple have required only about 4 men with God's power? Temple construction required 3600 "overseers"...probably unqualified, unskilled, and uneducated... sounds like a Bethel project ;-)

Stepping away from the fantasy-land of literal interpretation of Jewish fables, the Great Pyramid of Giza was built around 2560 BC, 400 years earlier than the supposed Tower of Babel, with an assumed labor force of about 200,000. At about 480 ft., it was the tallest man-made structure of the time... and for centuries to follow. It has outlasted the tower and the temple. I don't think it's the gateway of secret knowledge, but it's a testiment to what ancient humans were able to accomplish. And it predates the flood, showing no evidence of water damage.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    Leolaia

Post 15422 of 16100
    Since 9/1/2002

It took me a while to realize that this wasn't a workable scenario.

Hey Leolaia, do you happen to have that in a word doc or in a larger image file?

I would love to print that off and give it to a certain JW friend of mine, thanks :)

3Mozzies

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh I missed that the first time around. Yeah I have it at higher resolution. I guess I wonder....why would your JW friend want to see it? I wrote that in 9th grade when I was trying to reconcile in my mind JW chronology with actual Mesopotamian history. It's an exercise in cognitive dissonance. I had to squeeze and squeeze just to get everything to fit. And lol you can see me indulge in quite some fanciful etymological claims in this piece. I was 14 years old and really didn't understand things yet. I then gave up the whole endeavor when I learned that the earliest kings of Early Dynastic Ur were buried with large numbers of servants who gave up their lives to follow their masters to the grave. That ... made ... no ... sense, if these are people trying to repopulate the world after the Flood!

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

Marked too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit