Are You For Or Against The Death Penalty?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I haven't seen that movie but would like to.

I'm familiar with these New England cases. It's horrific.

• minimus
    minimus

James, he got death!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm not against lethal force/execution -- in principle.

However, because mistakes can (and are) made within our justice system, I would prefer that the ultimate penalty be a life sentence with no chance of parole.

However, if I need to use lethal force to protect my person or my family, in the face of a mortal threat, I will do so.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    James, he got death!

Yes, I thought I had seen that...good decision, IMHO. What remains to be seen is if it will ever be carried out. Not all the cases are the same - one in the news is a store clerk who saw a theif steal a case of beer. He got his gun, chased the guy out to his car, and shot him dead while he was trying to escape. He was sentenced to life in prison for killing the robber - no proof that life was being threatened, and he chased him outside the premises. I thought the clerk needed to be convicted of something, and probably do some time, but somehow life in prison seems pretty heavy.

• Scully
    Scully

Let's put it this way:

Certain crimes - crimes against humanity (like genocide) and crimes committed against children (sexual abuse in particular) - deserve the death penalty. Would I want to be the one hitting the switch to the electric chair or activating the lethal injection? No.

The only other option would be life imprisonment, without possibility of parole. In that case the convicted is as deprived of continuing their life (as they would have chosen it to continue) as those who were victims of their crimes.

Even that is much much superior justice to the nauseating refrain to Wait On Jehovahâ„¢.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree, under the circumstances, James.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I think what bothers me is making sure their rights aren't compromised.

Where was that little Girl's rights when she was raped in her own bedroom with her stuffed animals on the bed as her father brought out yesterday! Then doused in Gasoline and lit on fire.

Yeah.... I can see how they should have rights.

I love the Jail house code.... you hurt Children... You are Marked .. and in some cases...

Murdered!

Even Criminals have Morals.

• minimus
    minimus

Darth, that poor father/husband has to live with those scenes and sounds in his head forever! Sick!!!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes if it is definatly proven.But I remember in England they Hung Jones for killing his wife

found out years later He didnt do it... This guy your talking about YES!!!! YES!! YES!! also the Commander
    Who flew the Queen on one of her trips( Pilot) He is a Jekle & Hyde. Brilliant man . killed two had( I belive)
    500 under his command ,Wrote a letter to his wife after the sentencing ( life) "please take care of the Cat..."
    Do you all remember our Jw friend James Aldridge Jr.Who was executed at Huntsville a few years ago??
    I wrote to him for years.He was DF... after that he got on the fast track. Because his Father made fun of him
    going out in service (the Father was NOT a JW) But I heard after James death the old man became one .??/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I do not think there is anything wrong with capital punishment for murder. The punishment fits the crime.

However, I do not fully trust our system of justice, it is not free of error or even fully free of corruption.

I also am not comfortable with the idea of the government having the power to kill its own citizens.

Death is irreversible. If a mistake is uncovered, there is no undoing it. At least with a life sentence a person can be set free, and perhaps compensated in some way.

I would much rather the wicked not get their just deserts than have the innocent be unjustly put to death.

So, in theory, I am not against the death penalty.

In practice, however, I am.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit