Elders Can Hide their Own Sins from the Past-Yet Continue as Elders? Read

by flipper 55 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I was shocked ( though I probably shouldn't have been ) when reading the new elders manual concerning whether elders have to confess up about former sins from a few years earlier. Notice this on pg. 38 , paragraph 19 : It states, " If it comes to light or an appointed brother confesses that he has committed a disfellowshipping offense years in the past : The body of elders may determine HE CAN CONTINUE TO SERVE if the following is true : The immorality or other serious wrongdoing occured more than a few years ago, and he is genuinely repentant, recognizing that he SHOULD HAVE come forward immediately when he sinned. ( Perhaps he has even confessed to his sin, seeking help with his guilty conscience . ) He has been serving faithfully for many years, HAS EVIDENCE of God's blessing, and has the respect of the congregation. "

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Time out here. What's all that talk about stifling Jehovah's holy spirit then about ? If an elder DID NOT confess or hid his sin and dishonestly continued as an elder while he knowingly committed sin - how in the HELL would he have EVIDENCE OF GOD"S BLESSING ? As the WT society has mentioned before - if holy spirit is appointing these elders - wouldn't holy spirit have NOT BLESSED him and had him removed if he had been sinning ? That's what I was always taught growing up as a witness. These guys are lame.

The information continues in paragraph 20 : " If the sin occured BEFORE he was appointed as an elder or a ministerial servant, the elders will need to take into consideration the fact that he should have mentioned this possible IMPEDIMENT to his being qualified when elders interviewed him just prior to announcing his appointment. ( duh, yeah- you think ? ) Moreover, the nature of the sin MAY REFLECT greatly on his qualifications to serve. ( No, really ? ) For example, the sin may involve past child abuse, and this would LIKELY disqualify him for many years. " ( how about forever WT society ? ) Jesus.

The fact the WT society even states a child molester would LIKELY be disqualified leaves an opening that maybe in SOME circumstances a former child molester MAY serve again as an elder or MS. Disgusting.

Paragraph 21 continues : " If the wrongdoing occurred WITHIN THE PAST FEW YEARS WHILE HE WAS SERVING as an elder or a ministerial servant, he is disqualified from serving as such, not being " free from accusation ". Depending on the circumstances, the situation MAY also need to be handled by a judicial committee. " O.K. then. So if it is a RECENT offense by an elder he is not " free from accusation " , but if it hapened a long time ago - oh well, let's bury the hatchet boys and girls. Once again this shows that the WT society is only concerned about how things appear outwardly RIGHT NOW - and that they tend to get amnesia regarding travesty's of justice in the past, elders committing them or otherwise.

I ask you on this board, if a rank & file publisher came out and confessed a disfellowshipping offense they committed years ago - would THEY be shown the same leniency as the GB & elders show themselves ? I highly doubt it. Once again it shows how many double standards exist in the Jehovah's Witness organization. So what do YOU folks think about all this ? As always I look forward to your opinions & takes. Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I heard about htis special elder rule and it makes me sick!

• flipper
    flipper

FOUND SHEEP- I hear you. When I read this info- it made me want to vomit. Pretty twisted double standard stuff. But I guess It shouldn't surprise me- it's the modus operandi of the WT society

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Ah yes.......the infamous OCTOBER 1972 QUESTION BOX in the KINGDOM MINISTRY

That is where that is lifted from. Almost NO elder....NONE.....even know of it......or they wouldn't deal with people the way they do. They would turn publishers way due to how 'long ago' there sin was........

I used this ONE reference a million times..........with other elders.........they would be astonished........they knew NOTHING about it. And it was highlighted at KM School and in a BOE letter. I know.....I taught it.

No double standard, right? These same guys would then DF someone for fornication from the 1980's.........it is one of the single most disturbing references that moved me to the door..........

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow...

Talk about "special dispensation" for the "clergy" class...!!!

They're looking more and more like the Catholic Church, every day...

Zid

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

yeah, it always seemed to me to be unfair that elders would actually be held to a lower standard than a rank and file publisher. Double standard for sure.

• Open mind
    Open mind

It used to be a double standard, but the new book gets rid of it.

Take a look at Chapter 5, Page 74, Paragraph 43 under the heading "Wrongdoing That Occurred Years in the Past". It's talking about ANY JW, servant or not.

"Depending upon the circumstances, the situation may need to be handled by a judicial committee. But if the immorality or other serious wrongdoing occurred more than a few years ago and the individual is genuinely repentant and recognizes that he should have come forward immediately when he sinned, good counsel by elders may be sufficient."

I hate it when the WT gets more reasonable over time.

om

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Pretty sick if you ask me!!

It really bothers me that I actually thought elders were special and loving at one time..silly me.

• zoiks
    zoiks

It would seem that the ability to hide and cover up sin for several years is "evidence of God's blessing". Cool!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Open Mind's post catches a "progressive" attitude. But let me sum it up for them.

"We are losing too many elders. Let the ones who violated the rules years ago stay as elders as long as they say they are really sorry."
    "Now, we are losing too many 'publishers' and they have heard about our double standard. Let the ones who violated the rules years ago stay as members as long as they say they are really sorry."

What's so legalistic about this, too- the bodies of elders will read "a few years" to mean that 3 is a magic number.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit