Did Jesus resurrect Himself?

by brotherdan 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Think About It
    Think About It

what do you guys think of the scriptures that clearly say that He will raise himself?

What scriptures "clearly" state Jesus raised himself? There were a couple scriptures provided that indicated Jesus would lay down his life and take it up again. I don't read he resurrected himself into that. Merely states he would live again. The closest scripture to Jesus resurrecting himself was John 2:18-22 18 So the Jews said to him, "What sign do you show us for doing these things?" 19 Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." 20 The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?" 21 But he was speaking about the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken." When compared to all the scriptures that say the Father resurrected Jesus, I read this to be obviously figurative in the sense that Jesus would raise himself because of his fathfulness. The context was about where did Jesus get his authority and the scriptures "clearly" indicated" his authority came from his God the Father, because it was his God the Father's will.

Think About It

• Ding
    Ding

The point isn't where Jesus got his authority.

The point is that he raised himself.

He couldn't do that if death was the end of all consciousness as the WTS claims.

• tec
    tec

John 10:18:

No one takes it from me , but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again . This charge I have received from my Father."

This does not seem to read quite as figurative as the one above. Do I think any of it is done without God? No. But God gave that power and authority to Christ.

Leo's Ignatius quote back a few pages is interesting also.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You guys seem to think that it is possible to make a distinction between the works of the Father and Son, it isn't.

All that the Father does, he does though the Son and all that the Son is, is because of The Father.

• Terry
    Terry

It would be nice if every once an awhile we stop and consider the fact we DO NOT HAVE the actual words of Jesus on any topic.

We have a years later remembrance transmitted orally.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    It would be nice if every once an awhile we stop and consider the fact we DO NOT HAVE the actual words of Jesus on any topic.
    We have a years later remembrance transmitted orally.

Terry -- Jesus speaks directly and audibly to some of the participants, here.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Remember anything is possible in mythological story telling.

Each and every ancient civilization told stories of their gods in what they did or what they were going to do in the

future, a known fact that many modern day spiritual investigators forget about or refuse to acknowledge.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Terry -- Jesus speaks directly and audibly to some of the participants, here.

Thats right Leavingwt, we should forward this particular question to those

who are in constant contact with Jesus via e-mail and cellular

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

who are in constant contact with Jesus via e-mail and cellular

You obviously know nothing of how one communicates with the Son of God.

Carrier Dove of course, sheesh.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Some interesting developments in the thread since my last post. I am not surprised at all the opinions being voiced here.

My comments regarding mankind being accountable for every word we utter were not threats, merely a matter of fact, see the verses I posted.

I also posted them because Jesus is clearly stated to be the judge (no doubt this could clearly start another Trinitarian debate in itself).

Anyhow, if one considers the idea that Jesus raised Himself to be "kooky ideas" then I urge them to listen to Jesus' very own words once more.

John 10:17 (English Standard Version)

17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.

John 10:18 (English Standard Version)

18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

John 2:18-22 (English Standard Version)

18 So the Jews said to him, "What sign do you show us for doing these things?" 19 Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." 20 The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?" 21 But he was speaking about the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit