Challenges Facing the Watchtower Org

by eric356 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

The most appreciated part of any District Convention was the drama piece. The most appreciated speakers were the ones using hard expressions and keen theatrics and rhetorics. So, yes, I think the BORG are headed towards a more "charismatic" approach in all things.

At the last 2 DCs, it was strongly emphasized the concept of "end of the preaching work". This was first time launched at a special meeting in Bucharest, where one of the GB has given a speech concerning the imminence of the end of the preaching work. People were encouraged to make "one final push" before Armageddon comes. I think this visit of a member of the GB in Bucharest was in 2008. If someone knows more about this and the name of the GB honcho who gave the speech, please give more details. I was at that meeting, but I have a short memory.

• eric356
    eric356

@ potleg

The WT does seem to be easing the amount work required from members. I agree with you that this may negatively affect group cohesion and the strength of the organization in general, but I disagree that this is happening now. I think it waits to be seen whether growth will go negative in coming years. I also think the zealot vs. moderate division exists, but I don't know if this is exceptional in the WT. I would think that all ideological groups have those who are very dedicated and strict and others who are less so. This creates tension. I don't know if the current tension is big enough to create considerable problems.

I would like more detail on your idea of a young, charismatic leader taking over the organization. While the average JW probably would welcome a competent, captivating leader to get bossed around by and have pride in, I don't see how this would actually happen. The GB currently controls all the doctrine. If someone tried to usurp their power, the GB can savage them in the pages of the Watchtower. This keeps them on the top of the heap, unless someone found a way to sever the GB from doctrine. I could imagine a new leader emerging after a great failure or humiliation of the GB. After this fall, the GB might abdicate their power to someone else. This of course assumes that they care more about the survival and success of the Org as a whole and not their own glory.

If a leader does arise, it makes sense that it would be a hardliner. Someone who wants to return to some imaginary "glory days" and purge the "lukewarm" people. The idea of multimedia presentations and a larger, more integrated internet experience are both plausible and will probably happen in the future. However, the flashy presentations go against the previous WT criticisms of other churches for focusing on superficial things.

• eric356
    eric356

@Randy

This is exactly why the WT can't go mainstream. Other religions (for people who believe them) are more inspiring, have much better music and ritual, better support for members, more beautiful buildings, and a richer heritage. The WT cannot compete with this. The only things keeping them together are fear of the End and strict social cohesion.

@ DagothUr I haven't heard anything about the end of the preaching work. Could this just be the same "finish the race for life" crap they've been doing forever? The whole WT religion is about a "final push" that lasted for over 100 years. I'd like it if someone had a recording.

• potleg
    potleg

The charismatic leader that I describe in my imaginary scenario is a man who has been appointed a member of the governing body. He rises from within it. The longer he's part of the elite the more he sees its failings. Gradually through his maneuverings, intelect, and sheer force of will he becomes the dominant player WITHIN THE GOVERNING BODY. He views his appointment by holy spirit as a mandate to refine and reform the brotherhood.

HE is savy enough to work within the organizations boundries. In other words he won't get removed for his increasing role and influence, he plays within the rules and gradually changes those rules to suit his agenda. Other members on the GB count it a blessing to have someone of his caliber at the helm. As time goes by and under his influence new appointees to the GB are aligned with him.

This alpha leader is made of similar suff as old Joe Rutherford. Look how he (the judge) took over and molded the JWs to his will.

As to the multi media presentations...well, the presentations today on a local and assembly level don't seem to work very well. Infact they are often boring, mind numbing trials that can be a real test of endurance. Not very motivational. I remember when, years ago we first had dramas, they were a real highlight of the convention. By the time I left, many (including me) were making fun and laughing at the ludicrous amateur dramatics complete with false beards and flailing arms.

The photo-drama of creation was cutting edge in it's day and just because the old suits rip on other churches doesn't mean change won't come. It has to.

Other things I can imagine...tithing, and if the society puts up web sites for study and teaching etc. the dubs will have to pay a yearly subscription fee for it. The donation arrangement has been, in my opinion a flop.

These are just some fun thoughts that I have. As far as I'm conrerned, and, as the Black Adder would say...They can all go and Roger themselves!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Very interesting discussions.Keep them coming.

smiddy

• Scott77
    Scott77

I noticed that one thing is missing from this thread. How about the Watchtower's wholesale embrace of online giving using master or visa cards and production of armbands, t-shirts to increase fundraising base? I think this is something that might be persued sometime in future. Similar to catholic churches, increased sexual abuse lawsuits, I think, will eat away a sizeable chunk of their dollars

Scott77

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

great!

i can see the bethel heavies using this information in future 'what now' GB meetings!

''look...here are a bunch of possible directions we can go if we are to survive''...''we got them from...umm, brother studious's department''...

anyways, a real good read and only time will tell...by then i might be demented and not give a crap!

As to written word publishing, dwindling as it is in society, there are still a number of growth periodicals and people who like paper.

They still have 7 million + who will buy every single thing they print even if nobody else wants it.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

First, they'll download a "Master Copy" for the elders only to control. Then I expect that they will charge each congregation with the responsibility of printing and binding their own magazines right in the kingdom hall (not hard to do and the equipment isn't that expensive).

• dozy
    dozy

I just wikipedied “black swan event” – another addition to my vocabulary!

The problem with the rise of a charismatic “alpha male” leader is that the current structure of rule & appointment by committee makes it very difficult for any appointment of anyone with any character or initiative. GB appointees are WT careerists , usually without any original ideas , and quickly settle into a comfortable life of privilege & almost god like devotion from followers , surrounded by yes men and fawning JWs. Remember Franz’s comment about how most GB members simply settled for a life of voting for whatever was the WTBTS party line when they weren’t sleeping through the GB proceedings. I’ve listened to a few GB talks on youtube & heard some at conventions & they are the most boring speakers & at times almost delusional characters imaginable.

My theory has always been that a major branch committee will go “apostate” and split off , causing something of a schism (my money is on Brazil or Germany). This has happened before but generally been successfully suppressed (eg Ireland , Australia , Canada). You just need to peruse some of the Spanish ex-JW messageboards to realize the resentment that many feel towards Brooklyn. I’m convinced that the reason for the closures of most of the branches , especially Spain , has been that the leadership want to exercise much greater control on a few large branches (Millhill , Selters etc).

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I like your theory, dozy.

What I don't know and apparently nobody here does (since I've asked many times and never gotten an answer) is what legal connection is there between the GB and the many branches of the Watchtower worldwide? Does one even exist? Should a branch decide to become autonomous, what legal authority does the USA Watchtower Society and/or the Governing Body have?

The Borg split up into many different corporations in order to shield legal liability and fractionate assets. In so doing, did they set the legal stage for a branch's ability to just split off if they wish?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit