Challenges Facing the Watchtower Org

by eric356 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eric356
    eric356

I’ve been thinking about the future of the Watchtower Organization and the challenges it faces in coming decades. It’s difficult to address the issue without allowing personal feelings affect the analysis. Many people seem to think that the Society will collapse fairly soon, based mostly on the fact that the person dislikes the leadership or can’t understand how others can believe the doctrine. Others treat the organization like a cunning, supremely effective collection of cynical liars that will remain in power forever because friends and family seem permanently drawn to the religion. I don’t agree with either of these assessments.

I think that there are several factors that will radically effect the nature of the organization in the future: (1) Tectonic shifts in the publishing business and how people are exposed to information, (2) Demographic shifts and growth in the Third World, (3) Further evolution of societal norms, and (4) brain drain within the ranks of the Organization itself.

(1)

Magazines are a doomed form of mainstream information dissemination. Electronic distribution will replace all but the cheapest and most expensive forms of printed material. (e.g. receipts and art / collectible books will likely still be around). The commercial magazine and newspaper companies are dealing (or not) with this change right now. Small tracts may still be cost effective in the future, but the Watchtower and Awake! will not. Not only will the equipment used to print large numbers of the publications become less common and more expensive, but the general population will grow less and less accustomed to getting information in that format.

The Watchtower has made some moves to accommodate these changes by offering audio podcast and PDF versions of their magazines and books online. However, one has to go to their specific website to download these materials. The Watchtower will not likely offer its materials through the mainstream commercial electronic stores that will sell other electronic documents. This will limit the exposure of their publications unless they adopt a new marketing and distribution model. Why would you physically send a person door-to-door to give people an intangible electronic document? How would you even “give” it to them? What is the relative “value” of 100 electronic copies of the Watchtower versus 100 paper copies?

The organization may prove to be more creative and adaptive then I anticipate. Even so, the shift from physical to electronic information distribution will have a fundamental impact on the personal conception of the Watchtower held by the average JW. The Watchtower has always been primarily a printing company. The door-to-door work is based on the idea of handing out physical copies of the magazines to people. The branch offices and headquarters buildings are largely devoted to the manufacture and distribution of printed material. JWs hold places like Brooklyn Bethel in high esteem. They nearly fetishize the efficiency and sheer magnitude of millions of (paper) magazines and books being printed and packed for shipment. When digital documents are the norm, and all of the equipment and personnel required to make paper ones are no longer needed, the Watchtower will not pay to keep them around. How will JWs view the Society without its fancy printing presses and throngs of well-groomed Bethelites moving to-and-fro? When all Bethel needs to be is a group of writers, graphic designers, and a web server to publish, where is all the physical prestige that the Organization has glorified for so long? It seems to me that the Watchtower has made the actual production and distribution of paper documents so integral to its image and ethos that to change these core elements will weaken their “brand” in the minds of outsiders and reduce pride among members.

(2)

The largest amount of growth in membership for Jehovah’s Witnesses is in South America and Africa. These Third World nations offer much greater promise than the Western developed nations of North America and Europe. Because of this shift, the Watchtower will cater its materials even more to relatively uneducated, economically desperate, and superstitious populations. Some evidence to support this includes Watchtower articles about spiritistic or local customary practices that are not common in developed countries, and a more conspicuous emphasis on pre- or non-scientific doctrines.

Talking more candidly about the danger of demons, the risks of spiritism, and extreme Biblical literalism are not great marketing themes in the developed world, but are very popular in developing nations. The Watchtower appears to be comfortable with adjusting its methods to suit these exotic new markets and is willing to sacrifice relevance to people living in technologically advanced countries. Over the years, these changes may make the Organization hardly recognizable and less palatable to members in advanced Western lands. This will be the required trade off to maintain growth in the fastest growing markets.

(3)

Shifts in public opinion in Western countries have shown growing support or acceptance of issues like gay rights, less restrictive definitions of “family”, and religious pluralism. All of these changes are anathema to the conservative Watchtower “morality” based on certain traditional conceptions of how life should be lived. New scientific discoveries, especially in the area of biology and bioengineering, will likely affect how people view life and living things and their relation to any possible creator god. The internet will continue to allow information and rumor to flow freely among people of all types.

All of these trends threaten the hierarchical knowledge control system employed by the Watchtower and will marginalize members living in modern Western societies. In contrast, they may make the religion more appealing to those in politically and economically chaotic developing countries where people are seeking structure and rule of law.

(4)

It seems apparent that the Watchtower Organization is suffering from a self-inflicted brain drain among the local and international leadership. By limiting exposure to outside opinions, the Society severely inhibits Witnesses from developing the critical thinking skills required to run a successful organization. The constant discouraging of higher education and the growing popularity of home schooling among the children of Witnesses further erodes the educational standards of the Organization.

Earlier generations of Witnesses included larger numbers of adult converts of various socioeconomic statuses, and the governing Elders were more likely to have developed secular skills that helped them effectively manage and grow the organization. With generations of Witnesses being born into the religion and knowing nothing else, the diversity of knowledge and experience is greatly reduced. Those who become future Elders or climb the ladder at Bethel have been taught from birth to avoid secular education and focus exclusively on theocratical training. Without these skills, the Watchtower Organization will likely suffer from incompetent management and poor strategic decision-making.

In future decades the Watchtower Society is going to be forced to change and adapt to survive. I doubt the ability of the bureaucratic leadership of the Organization to make these changes with the required speed and competence and remain relevant in the Western world. Corporations fail all the time due to poor management and planning, and the Watchtower is no different. It has a specialized product, market, and consumer, but it still follows the broad patterns of behavior of any business. I think the success of the religion in the past century was due to fairly competent leaders. I don’t think that leaders of similar skill and creativity will continue to be found in the future.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Good analysis.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

eric356,

I like it. I agree with your current appraisal of number 1 although I might add that the WTS has always been happy to differentiate itself. It wants to be different. I believe they will continue to primarily be a publishing and printing organisation well into the future when printed material is not the norm. They will be retro but it doesn't cost a lot to produce leaflets. They have already shifted significantly from magazine and books (incl. bible) printers to magazine and leaflet printers (with a few books).

It all depends on the financial model - if they can afford to print leaflets and put these in the hands of door to door recruiters - they will. They will never be able to coerce many people to join without human persuasion.

(editing for spelling - too much wine)

mmxiv

• zarco
    zarco

Thanks, Eric for a thoughtful analysis.

zarco

• designs
    designs

They will begin selling their real estate holdings or borrow heavily against them and then file bankruptcy. Don't expect to see a dime.

• chicken little
    chicken little

The converts they make in developing countries are often very unlike the jws from the mother countries, they are on a complete different level of indoctrination than we were. It is true that demonism and superstition still play a huge part in many of these ones lives, even after years of being in the org. The way in which many live their lives in African countries for example; is very similar to when the first christian missionaries of christendom arrived. They just accept the witness deal and carry on believing all the superstition underneath.

I have seen african brothers having their naming parties, putting the thread around the childs hand, bible under pillow etc. Many believe in curses etc. The org claims to be successful in removing these traits from the new converts but that is a lie, scratch the surface and it is still there.

The interesting part will be when the level of information reaching such ones is improved. Africa is leapfrogging with regards to technology so in the future the internet over mobiles etc will play its part. But the interesting point is that many of the new converts are just religious people very much like the majority in their country. In Nigeria there is a church on almost every street corner, preaching is accepted by many denominations and the name Jehovah is not exclusive to Jws.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Yes, a good analysis eric356!

But the printing operations will continue on a large scale I think. it does not cost that much to print an issue of the w and g- 8-10 cents each, much less for tracts. Books cost maybe 25 cents to make for softcover, perhaps it costs them 50 cents to make a hardcover book and $1.00 for the large HC books.

• metatron
    metatron

THANK YOU!

I hoped that my posts would encourage thinking about this subject rather than the 'knee-jerk' - "the Watchtower will be around forever" reaction.

Whether or not I got things going on this is not important but this insightful post is. They have NEVER resolved the problem of being a religion and a business at the same time and this could be fatal!

They are stuck with an economic model from the late 19th century and it may not work much longer.

metatron

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Printing gives something to put into the hands of the rank & file, gets them out in service, service helps reinforce that the R&F is "doing" for Jehovah, reinforcing...and keeping the R&F off the Internet.

Saw 3 JWs at McD's today. 1 middle aged and 2 old people. No young ones. No young families. This was Saturday and right near one of the biggest shopping centers here. Aging population of the JWs, with few younger ones remaining in it . . . .

• moshe
    moshe

The KH population is looking pretty long in the tooth today. Declining membership will begin to be felt. The average JW will begin to suffer pangs of distress, if they see too many KH's close up. Much can be explained away by the GB, but this is a tough one to overcome.

I think JWs know that the WT publications are seldom taken seriously by the householders and would welcome an honorable excuse to scale back the door to door work. The old canvassing D2D work doesn't work well for the JWs any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit