Generation Teaching - Everyone is speechless?

by Red Piller 443 Replies latest jw friends

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Ty Sab...

Of course it was also soooo many other issues, the fact that my husbands (3rd gen JW) grandfather who was at bethal new and talked to the judge regularly (privatley said he was a bit of an ass) was kicked out for marrying, looked down upon for haveing one child, sold his house in 75 gave most of the $ to the WTBTS bought a truck camper and a piece of crap piece of land in the dessert to go and wait and preach till the New System came. He is Dead, he died 3 years ago thankfully he couldnt remember how much he gave and wasted, however his lovely wife well into her 80s now is sad and angry, but still faithful....she is a mummering. We are outraged for her - for this families wasted lives. The pain of Dissfellowshiping for generations - the horrible decisions of how to care for her when no one takes care of their finances.

So maybe with that background we were more senitive to the gen bull crap. Like many others i fell the young gen does even care about the doctrine, or the past, or old people in general. They might not care as much?!

new darkness - great!

• caliber
    caliber
    I like that "The Brooklyn Dodgers"

The only difference is these "new improved Dodger's " don't just get 3 strikes but are at strike five and still going !!!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9003/generation1.jpg

If a child gets a math question wrong five times in a row, I wouldn't use the word "discernment "to describe his sixth answer !!

• Galileo
    Galileo

The WTS has made a point of praising Jesus for his teaching style, specifically that he used clear, simple language and parables that the common, largely uneducated audience that he was addressing could easily understand. If we grant them that, that Jesus was able to frame his message in terms that were clearly understandable (and that certainly is the way the bible portrays him), then it is inconceivable that their current "light" is even remotely close to what Jesus meant by "this generation". It's laughable. It is not what "generation" means, pure and simple. They might as well explain the passage with Bible Code-esque counting of the spaces between the letters.

Imagine someone trying to use the word generation the way that the WTS is claiming Jesus was using it. Imagine, for example, a 98 year old woman speaking to her 14 year old great grandson:

Great grandma "Wow, this generation sure is stubborn!"

Great grandson "Which generation?"

"You know. Ours!"

"Yours and Great Granddads?"

"No boy! Yours and mine. You know, the generation that remembers when cars were rare and that invented Facebook. The generation that fought two world wars, the Korean war, Vietnam, and two Gulf Wars! The generation whose parents were gold prospectors and hippy radicals at woodstock. The generation that saw man first walk on the moon and can't remember a world without the internet. You know, our generation!"

"OK grandma. Lets get your pills..."

There is absolutely no rational definition in which my generation, those born in the mid seventies, are the same as the generation that wept at the Beatles playing on Ed Sullivan, let alone the generation that remembers when indoor plumbing was optional.

Attention JWs: it isn't a code. You were just wrong, and your more and more far-fetched apologism is just getting embarrassing now.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

It is fascinating now that, in terms of generations, 1+1=1. How long before it is 1+1+1=1?

• Gregor
    Gregor

I observed a long time ago that the strongest, least shakable JWs were the one considered "weak". Want to see someone kidnap their baby from a hospital to avoid a blood transfusion? Look for the irregular meeting attender, non-commenter at the WT study and chronic delinquent publisher.

So when the WT slips them a big load of dung, as in the examples above, they don't even notice.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Gregor,

I resent your comments. I was weak!

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

Honestly, what is there to say. Within a year, this will have to be changed -- it's such hogwash, it's embarrassing, and I think that's why it's being avoided. As a dub, no amount of kool-aid would make this easier to swallow.

In other news, I have to google the correct spelling of kool aid. What kind of 80's baby am I???

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

Each and every incarnation of the Generation doctrine has been ridiculous. Thankfully (for the WTS) most JWs don't care and likely don't know what the current teaching is and what it was.

I agree with Gregor's observation - we've often observed this too. The weak end up being the diehards because they "know it's the truth!"

• caliber
    caliber

I observed a long time ago that the strongest, least shakable JWs were the one considered "weak

So "weak " in "WT speak "sometimes means those "strong " enough to resist assimilation .....

It can also be like a long bad marriage... you see the problems but you have so MANY "overlapping interests"

that it is just as easy to ride it out to the bitter end .... NOT !! HE HE HE !!

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

It's probably the guilt that keeps the weak believing. It's easy to believe something wholeheartedly when you haven't really taken the time to get to know it's flaws. Somewhat like a teenage infatuation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit