Do you feel sorry for the family members who shun you?

by SweetBabyCheezits 64 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sweets,

I tend to think the ones doin' the shunning suffer more than the ones they try to punish

you are free to love you parents if they would only let you, if they were to ask you for a hug there

is nothin' stoppin' you, but as for your parents, if you were to ask them for a hug, They would

have to continue on in their pain because of the restrictions placed on them by this religion.

You will never know the pain of shunning you children, because you are able to love them freely

that my friend makes leaving all the worth while

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear SBC... and peace to you! I don't feel as sorry for them as much as feel pity for them. Let me explain: I truly would not want to be in their "shoes"... when the lights come on. And they will come on... sooner or later. Hopefully, sooner, when for whatever reason they wake up, realize how they've acted and treated others, feel some remorse and try, to the extent they can, to make some amends. Because later, such opportunity will have passed by. Imagine, then, that you are your mom, treating your son as she is treating you... and then one day realizing it... or not.

Most here have reached that "enlightenment." Thankfully, most are willing to say, "Yeah, I was a so-and-so, but I am no longer." Others... appear to be worse here than they were there. Or the same. Both stink.

Love your mom, dear one... and your dad, in spite of his self-righteousness. LIVE the law of love... without exception. Don't be one who just talks about it. And, yeah, it can be hard. Trust me. But it can be done.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

You will never know the pain of shunning you children, because you are able to love them freely

This is the big reason I won't go back. My daughter will never doubt my love for her. She will never know that pain.

I do feel sorry for my family. I understand why they do it. They think they're doing the right thing. What hurts is that I can't open their eyes to the real truth, that it isn't the right thing to do. But it's their choice, I don't shun them. They're missing out on so much. Funny thing is, out of my parents, my fiance's mom dad and stepdad, my fiance's dad who lives the farthest away is the one that sees my daughter the most. He makes the effort to see her, he's at every special occasion, holidays, birthdays, trips to the zoo. And he's an atheist.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

I am not shunned, yet I have shunned,

I am ashammed of shunning thru and thru

and I am hidding from a shunning

and for that I am sorry too.

SBC I only only there in thoughts because I cowardly try to fade........

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

SBC -

Mom's not heartless, her mind has been stolen

Stole lives, stolen minds........so very, very true. I truly feel so sorry for you. I hope your mom and dad wake up one day.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hi Sweets

This is a paragraph from my disassociation letter which may be worth considering in relation to your mum.

If, based on this decision, my brothers and sisters choose to follow WT policy and reject me, it will not be the rejection that saddens me but the closed minds of those who blindly follow the laws of men without “making sure of all things” for themselves. For whilst those men in positions of leadership carry a heavier responsibility, it does not give an excuse to those who choose to follow such men without question.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The WT will destroy the soul that lives in obedience to those psycho jerks. By denying your own conscience is how you "lose your soul". If you can turn off love, you never had it to begin with. It is conditional. When you are shunned, as in mentally being pronounced dead, then you become a human sacrifice to the WT gods. Oh, but if they need something from you, they can still use you as a commodity and call it "family business" and then they can be justified in talking to you.

Do I feel sorry for them? NO. I hope that one day, it will hit them like a ton of bricks when they realize the pain they have caused others and the lack of honor to their family. I hope before it's all over they get to see just what stupid fools they have been.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Although I have empathy for my family who shun me, I no longer excuse them. Enough time has passed for them to have thought through what they are doing. They have decided to harden their hearts sufficiently to keep up the embargo.

Given the nonsense they have filled their heads with and their rudeness, not seeing each other is now my choice too. Life is too short spend living in hope for something that will never come - isn't that the mistake JWs make?

SweetBabyCheezits They should treat you with respect when they see in front of your children or not at all. Perhaps their rudeness could result in you deciding that they are setting a bad example and as such are bad association for your children.

If they thought that rarely seeing their grandchildren could be the price they end up paying, they may realize that they don't have the control over family matters that they assume is all theirs.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Yes, I do for some, like my mom.

My sister was df'd 35 years ago.

My dad sounds like yours. I don't feel bad for him. He just wrote my sister off as a casulty. In Israel he would probably have cast the first stone.

But my mother's miind was trapped. She felt she had to be true to her God but she also wanted to be true to her kid. She also wanted her kid to come back to God (the cult). She became a broken shell, eaten by WT guilt and personal guilt. She perhaps had mental health issues before, but over the years has become more and more mentally ill.

I'm certain the WT policy contributed to her mental illness. She lost all her interest in life. She now sits in a home for the elderly and tells everyone she is df'd, which she is not. I believe today she would accept to see my sister but it is just too late.

My dad and the JW relatives, as well as JW friends blame my sister for my mother's situation, saying my sister's df'ing brought on the sickness. They don't get it that the WT shunning policy has at the very least, made my mom's sickness a lot worse. Perhaps if it wasn't for the shunning she may not have become sick.

I recently watched a program about the Mao years in China. One of the interviewed spoke for the millions who obeyed Mao blindly and who is today shocked that it could have happened. He said it well: "We no longer thought, but just obeyed"

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I'm glad you can take this twisted situation and find a little humor in it.

it's been so long since I've seen and or talked to my JW family...they are strangers now. I don't feel sorry for them, it's their choice.

I'm still open for reconnection...maybe someday.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit