Ray Franz Was Wrong

by Farkel 144 Replies latest jw friends

• cheerios
    cheerios

douglas adams put it best: they're a bunch of mindless jerks who will the first against the wall when the revolution comes

• ziddina
    ziddina

[Hah, I knew this was going to be a good thread when I saw Farkel's name on it!!]

From "Crisis of Conscience", 1985 printing, Chapter 5, "Tradition and Legalism", page 99, all paragraphs...

"A major factor in Governing Body decisions was the two-thirds majority rule. This produced some strange effects at times.
    The rule was that a two-thirds majority (of the active membership) was needed to carry a motion... An issue might be under discussion involving conduct that had, somewhere in the Socity's past, been designated a "disfellowshiping offense", perhaps a person's having a particular blood fraction injected...or possibly the case of a wife who had a non-Witness husband in military service and who worked in a commissary on her husband's military base.
    At times in such discussions the Body might be quite dvided, sometimes even split right down the middle. Or there might be a majoriy who favored removing the particular action, conduct or type of emplyment from the "disfellowshiping offense" category. Consider what might happen because of the two-thirds majority rule:
    If out of fourteen members present, nine favored removing the disfellowshiping offense "label" and only five favored retaining it, the majority was not suficient to change the disfellowshiping label. Though a clear majority, the nine were not a two-thirds majority. ...
    On more than one occasion when a sizeable minority or even a majority (though not two-thirds) felt that a matter should not be a disfellowshiping offense, I voiced my feelings that our position was unreasonable, even incomprehensible. How could we let things go on as before...when right within the Governing Body ...sometimes a mojority, who felt that the action involved did not merit such severe judgment?? ..."

It would appear that the Governing Body is still being held 'hostage', to a certain extent, by the hide-bound rules laid down by "Da Judge" Rutherford when he sought to crystallize his control over the organization... That "two-thirds majority" rule is asinine beyond belief, and should have been eliminated a LONG time ago...

But it provides the means - to this day - for certain control-oriented despots within the Gov.Bod to continue imposing THEIR viewpoints upon the Gov.Bod - and the organization at large...

I agree with those who have stated that the Gov.Bod is culpable - bloodguilty even - for so many wrongs committed, but if certain members could organize the Gov.Bod to THROW OUT that "two-thirds" rule and switch to a "majority" rule, I think things would improve drastically...

Of course, "majority rule" would bring them uncomfortably close to "worldly" political systems...

Zid

• booby
    booby

I reiterate my earlier comment and add agreement with minimus. When I look back on my life IN from where a am today I wonder who that fricken idiot (me) was. I know I had questions about stuff but KNOWING it was the truth I just put them aside.

• minimus
    minimus

When I read the book I felt Ray did not himself view these men as terrible persons. It appeared they themselves were caught up in their own "heritage". They were not students of the Bible as much as they were of the Organization's rules.

I know plenty of people who live in dysfunctional families, cannot see the obvious and just live their lives as though they are superior to everyone else. Go figure.

• booby
    booby

I too see the two thirds arrangement as asinine NOW. But back in the day would have hailed it as Jah's arrangement. I realize now that if as claimed they rule with spirit and truth how could a decision ever be anything but unanimous 100%

• sabastious
    sabastious

They know what they are doing, but they can justify it 100%.

The ends (eternal life and happiness for all) justify the means (mind control and misleading).

It's that simple.

-Sab

• minimus
    minimus

I really think many of them were 'true believers"....just like many JWs today who cannot bear the thought that they wasted their lives, talents and opportunities for nothing.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Farkel..

I agree with you..

Who are the WBT$ Victims of?.....Themselves???.....No one else is Victimizing the WBT$..

If your in Charge of the WBT$..Realise something is Wrong and you don`t Fix it..Who`s to Blame?..

The Catholics?..Japan?..The people who make Little Umbrellas,for Fruity Drinks?..

LOL!!..

The Concept of the WBT$ being Victims,is Nonsense..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• The Finger
    The Finger

I think there were things I didnt know, like the history of the organization, what it's like to claim to be one of the anointed. I don't know what these men didn't know that would excuse them. They were there at the beginning some of them and had full knowledge of all that has been done in the name of Jehovah. To take positions of responsibility makes you responsible.

• minimus
    minimus

Then EVERY person who knocked on a door to proselytize is "responsible" for the cumulative result.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit