I feel ashamed of some of you

by Lady Lee 69 Replies latest jw friends

• shepherd
    shepherd

On another thread, posted 8 hours before this post, Simon writes:

"...we remove the links when requested and if we notice them... We're not here to police the internet on behalf of WTS legal though so I don't think we need to chastise people for posting things.

Just because we have to take a certain course because of legal reasons doesn't mean we agree with it or have to be enthusiastic about it."

So, there really is no reason for anyone to be ashamed or nervous. I joined and started posting because a certain member was providing bad legal advice and, frankly, scaring Lady Lee and others for no good legal reason. DMCA is not something to be afraid of - if a copyrighted work has been uploaded the copyright owner or some one who is a person “authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed” can send a DMCA notification. The file then has to be removed. To clarify that further, DMCA applies if the file is hosted within the jurisdiction of a United States court - DMCA is an American law, not a global one. In other countries, different laws apply. If that happens in a reasonable time, the law is satisfied.

As I have written before, DMCA does not force forum webmasters to remove links if someone posts a link to a third party site. It refers to the uploading and hosting of the file itself. This is logical if you think about it - Google would be guilty if their search results brought up any links to copyrighted works - it is just not workable, and the law recognises that.

Anyone authorised can send a DMCA notice, not just a lawyer. In fact, what goes inside such a notice is described within the act itself. However, it sounds more impressive if it is signed by a lawyer, especially if the recipient is unfamiliar with DMCA law.

No case has ever been brought and won against any forum because some of its users have posted a few links to third party sites. Yet for some reason there are still some here afraid that the WT Legal team can file a case against this site for DMCA violations. Simon's words quoted above put it all into a more proper perspective and hopefully people reading this will regain their calm and Lady Lee can once again sleep at night.

• cheerios
    cheerios

i am sorry if my comments caused offense :( they were not intended to do so. i just wanted bullet points :(

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great points,Lady Lee.

Bangalore

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thanks Lady Lee ...I value this forum highly and dont want it endangered.

Loz x

• shepherd
    shepherd

The forum is not in any danger!

• wobble
    wobble

I hope you are right Shepherd,

but it will be if it has to defend a Court action for breach of Copyright Law.

So grow up and behave, you silly link-posters !

Many thanks to all who provide this site,and keep it running, especially Lady Lee.

• Awen
    Awen

I haven't visited for almost a year because way back when people were attacking active JW's calling them all manner of names. If we want to lay the responsibility of our lives down on someone's doormat, we need look no further than our own dwelling place. We chose to stay. We let fear control us. Fear of the words that men uttered and not trusting in the words of Jesus who said "Come to me, all of you who are weary and loaded down with burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28.29

I say this not to condemn anyone but to remind everyone that many are where we once were. They are on the verge of making a huge decision that will impact the rest of their lives. When we went through this ourselves all we wanted was a listening ear, a kind smile and a reassuring comment that it will all get better.

Then they come here and get the same thing they get in the Kingdom Hall.........

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Better to attack the religion itself, not those who are trapped therein. If there are individuals that are power freaks and in it for the power, that kill and eat babies, or molest children because they get their kicks out of ruining those children's lives, I will bash those actions because they are vile. Also, I will bash the leaders that know what they are doing, but volitionally create these traps in which the members live.

And no, the average witless is just that--witless. They are being brainwashed, afraid of looking at alternative sources for information because they "come from Satan the Devil". Most of them don't go around and kill and eat babies (in fact, the most reprehensible part of that is what happens next: Does it get addressed or pushed under the rug because of religious policies). Most of them don't molest children because they get their kicks out of ruining lives. And most of them sincerely believe that they are doing a great life-saving work or are being forced against their will to do so. Many are cheated out of a decent life--children dragged out in field circus by hounders that answer to hounder-hounders that answer to hounder-hounder-hounders and so on (and sometimes by parents that are hounded by hounders). They get to be 18, and are not prepared for any other life. So, they stay because "there is nowhere else to go".

Aside the leaders and those who like setting up cults-within-the-cult, most of them simply don't know better or are afraid to look beyond the religion for answers.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

when my mom talks to me, when I can get thru all the Wt preprograming and from her heart she can reason think and love......iti s amazing! However most days, most times, the info coming outta her mouth is hurtful, and frankly just crazy cult mentality. And even when the person I love most in the world does not talk for themselves, and instead speaks direct from WT Script...it is hard to remain emotionaly ok. ie my mom said yesterday (or day before) that disfellowshipping is such a loving act, because to remain one of God's People she didnt have to stone her daughter to death, she was still alive and a way back was open for my sister. In these moments my mom represents JW thinking so much, it takes all my love to still think of her as an individual and not just another mindless tentecale of the borg trying to slap (control, humiliate) me. Anyone who has had to deal with a customer service rep (or lost luggage for an airline) can get my point. they are people, they are sorry, but they will do nothing for you because they are working with a set of written pre determinded ideas/rules. When my mother goes into her preprogramed allowed responses....you dont see her love her beauty her individuality. You see her as the WT.

I feel if you want me or any one to see your point wether it is Pro WT or it anti, you need to show critical reasoning with individual thoughts.....and most likey drop any attitude. When you are nasty and spew the preprogramed response how can I see you, I can only see your programer. My personal experience with the Org is that when all else fails, scare scare scare. Lord over me your special understanding of deep things I will never understand and tell me again how I will die, and yes I see you no longer as an idividual but as the WT = I need to work on that.

Sorry Lady Lee if I jummped on the bashing ban wagon, and added to your stress!

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you shepherd for some common sense and balance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit