has this been on the site before? about there never having claimed to be a prophet?

by booby 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

ElderPatrol,

can I ask you a serious question? Based on your posts, are you trying to say that

A) it is perfectly plausible to be an "un-inspired" prophet

B) because you use a definition of the word prophet that you have chosen, as opposed to the prognostication common to many Biblical prophets

If so, can you advise what relevance, if any, the Mosiac definition of false prophecy has today?

PP

• Ding
    Ding

The GB always tries to have it both ways:

When they want to be obeyed, they are the spirit-directed faithful and discreet slave, God's prophet, the only way to Jehovah -- Obey them without question or be annihilated at Armageddon.

When they are caught in a false prophecy or doctrinal flip-flop, why they have never claimed to be anything other than fallible, humble servants of Jehovah.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Again, this argument is weak.

Most folks would have never accepted a Bible Study with JWs or gotten baptized, had they known the history of the WT organization and its wild claims. From this perspective, it's not weak, but powerful.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Hey, Paulapollos and Dings avatars are cousins.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

I think Ding's might be the better looking brother of mine!

• Elder-Patrol
    Elder-Patrol

Well, keep swinging away if you like, but this is a weak anti-JW argument.

A bonafide prophet can be mistaken.

Read 1 Kings 13. Two different prophets of Jehovah, two different mistakes, neither is unambiguously punished by God.

Read 1 Chronicles 17:1-4. The prophet Nathan was flat-out wrong. Eventually God corrected that prophet and the prophet subsequently corrected his proclamation.

Neither Nathan nor the prophets of 1 Kings 13 are "false prophets" even though they made mistakes and contradicted what God actually wanted.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Have you listened to the Bill Cetnar recording that I posted, Elder Patrol?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    A bonafide prophet can be mistaken.

Why value the quality of WT's spiritual food, above others, if they are often mistaken? Moreover, why condemn the quality of spiritual food being served by Christendom?

• booby
    booby

Dings post needs repeating:The GB always tries to have it both ways:

When they want to be obeyed, they are the spirit-directed faithful and discreet slave, God's prophet, the only way to Jehovah -- Obey them without question or be annihilated at Armageddon.

When they are caught in a false prophecy or doctrinal flip-flop, why they have never claimed to be anything other than fallible, humble servants of Jehovah.

That is as simple and succinct as one can put it.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

ElderPatrol,

You don't seem to have answered...so can I ask you a serious question? Based on your posts, are you trying to say that

A) it is perfectly plausible to be an "un-inspired" prophet

B) because you use a definition of the word prophet that you have chosen, as opposed to the prognostication common to many Biblical prophets

If so, can you advise what relevance, if any, the Mosiac definition of false prophecy has today?

PP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit