The Insanity of Arguing on the Internet!

by cognizant dissident 36 Replies latest social humour

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

In an effort to get us all to lighten up and take ourselves and our beliefs a little less seriously, post your internet jokes and funnies here.

One of my personal favorites:

• trueblue
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

Cog...that's so funny!

Snoozy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is me and AGuest (or Inkie or Watersprout):

• mrsjones5
  • AllTimeJeff
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I disagree. Let's debate it.

Kidding. Those posts are spot on.

That said, I think I do learn from debating with others and reading debates in which I'm not even involved. Sometimes it makes me a little more sympathetic, sometimes I learn something about myself (like when I'm wrong or when a viewpoint that was based on an old prejudice), and when I am wrong, it's pretty humiliating. And I think that's helpful for development of a critical thinker - knowing and accepting when I'm wrong. Those occasions hit me hard and make me work harder to get my facts straight and double-check my sources before clicking Submit again.

Plus we get to count time while debating on here, right?

• miseryloveselders
  • Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well it's all very personal isn't it. It's not really about what's right or true, but how that makes you feel because it's stuff you identify with. Not that there can't be anything learned even when there's *some* of that of course, since that's just how people tend to be, but it's not hard to see that if there is less of that the communication would be clearer and you can have a more productive exchange. So actually, in that sense the discussion and effort toward greater understanding IS retarded. After all the one that "wins" is the one that supposedly proves their position is right, but they've gained nothing other than some sense of satisfaction rather than any increased understanding of the subject. Even if you're talking about the "loser" then it's still retarded in the sense that it probably could have gone smoother.

Sorry for making it serious, don't have the kind of stuff for this subject right now but I promise to insert situationally appropriate stuff in various threads. :)

BTW cool name Cog. :)

• sabastious
    sabastious

Yes yes yes, it's fairly pointless...

BUT IT'S FUN!

(at least for me)

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit