To Christmas or Not to Christmas (inspired by Watersprout's DA thread)

by Mad Sweeney 60 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Not! I refuse to be dragged in just because 'everybody else is doing it'. I don't need anybody telling me what to do after years of it. Christmas can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned,the music is rubbish,people are so false at that time of year,a tree??? why the hell would I want a tree in my living room??????????? bog off there's plenty outside.

Bah, humbug!!!

Scrooge

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...and have tried my hand at homemade chocolate wreaths, which are yummyyy, if I do say so myself! ..."

Droooooooooollll.....

Hey, Jamie, have you seen that 'corn candy' wreath that's featured on the cover of one of the women's magazines?? Darn cute, and fairly easy to make!!!

Lemme see if I can find a photo...

Here 'tis!!! Click on this link for photo and how-to instructions!!

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Family-Lifestyle/Holidays/Halloween-Craft-Candy-Corn-Wreath.html

There!! Zid

• Gladring
    Gladring

We're only out about 2-3 years. But I love Christmas. I don't believe in Jesus, but I still enjoy the celebrations. The pagan stuff actually makes it better. I feel a huge draw to the Winter Solstice. Something inside me feels the flow of time with the long shadows. I also think that the tree and the lights brighten a dark time of year.

I won't do Santa. We put the presents under the tree a week or two before Christmas. I'm crap at delayed gratification but it's alot of fun. We don't buy expensive presents. It's just a nice time when we're all off work and we can be together as a family.

It's wierd when you are a born-in and you have no family tradition of celebrating the holidays, but we can make our own traditions. We spent our first Christmas with my sister and we saw some lovely things which we've adopted. It's one of the nice things about not being tied to a belief system that you can decide yourself what you want to include.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I appreciate all the feedback and sentiments.

I'm still unsure how far we're going to go with it. There will be presents, but like Gladring, I'm turned off by the "Christian" side of it and kind of turned on by the more natural side. Maybe I'll celebrate "Solstice" instead.

I would be happy to read further comments.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I celebrate the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus every day :)

LWT Disclosure: I had a pre-cult identity. We celebrated Christmas for the first ten years of life. It was wonderful: Family, friends, music, food, drink, lights and an atmosphere of love/sharing/caring/generosity.Disclosure: I had a pre-cult identity. We celebrated Christmas for the first ten years of life. It was wonderful: Family, friends, music, food, drink, lights and an atmosphere of love/sharing/caring/generosity

Who can argue with that? Only the WT but then they hate Jesus.

Blessings,

Stephen

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    homemade chocolate wreaths

OMG, that sounds amazing!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/christmas-cake-2/Detail.aspx

For any of you who like fruitcake (apologies to those who don't and I know you are legion!), Blondie posted this recipe last year and it is DIVINE! So, of course the answer is Yes, to Christmas!

This cake needs to be started about now, to achieve its full-bodied flavour and it is worth the effort (thank you Blondie for posting that delicious recipe)!

Christmas is a really magical time of year to me - love the lights, love the snow, love all the delicious specialties the stores stock pre-holiday that aren't available during the rest of the year; I love the baking, the fact families have more time to spend with one another, the mulled wine and eggnog, just about everything connected with it...just the anticipation gets me through November and December; after which there's EASTER to look forward to! It's all good!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Christmas!!!!

lighted tree in forest

Ahhhhhhh......

Zid little elf

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

UPDATE: Already have some presents on layaway. There's a little tabletop tree (just so it's easier to hide if Dub relatives come around). Decorations will be kept internal and to a minimum this time.

So we're going forward with Christmas but not full-bore like some people do. I won't have my kid left out anymore; that's the main motivation. And I kind of want some presents, too. LoL.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I won't have my kid left out anymore; that's the main motivation. And I kind of want some presents, too. LoL.

Good for you! What a great father! Out with the cult!

Wait until you see your kid's eyes light up on Christmas morning. It will be worth every penny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit