To Christmas or Not to Christmas (inspired by Watersprout's DA thread)

by Mad Sweeney 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

My wife and kid want to do Christmas but I don't. I am not against it but I have no reason to celebrate the holiday. I'll get the kid some presents, and maybe my wife, but is that alone really "celebrating Christmas?" What would I want a tree for? Why go through the hassle of decorating?What reason do I have to celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25?

I just don't see any reason why I should celebrate the holiday. Just because I can?

• yknot
    yknot
    What reason do I have to celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25?

Reason........ "My wife and kid want to do Christmas"

There ya go you answered you own question....

My question is ...... is the celebrating about Jesus or just the material holiday and being 'normal'?

Yknot- of the I don't need Xmas either class

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Do it for your wife and kids. Just go along with it to see them being happy.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Christmas is awesome!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Not to Christmas.

Never have, but I won't stand in anyone else's way.

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you don't enjoy it, then you're not doing it right.

Disclosure: I had a pre-cult identity. We celebrated Christmas for the first ten years of life. It was wonderful: Family, friends, music, food, drink, lights and an atmosphere of love/sharing/caring/generosity.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I LOVE XMAS! I make it very magical and mystical... Xmas is what you make it...If you feel like you need to spend loads of money and stress yourself out, it will be a misreable experience... We keep the costs down and enjoy the music and lights and the hype for it... The food is always yummy!

Last year we had a secret xmas... Xmas day was fun, but to be honest i enjoyed the build up more! Boxing day i went into guilt mode and made me very ill... Not this year! I am free to enjoy every minute and the guilt can frick off! Lol...

Make it magical for your kids... Babysprout was 6 last xmas and she never believed in Santa, i talked with her and told her that if you believe in something hard enough it comes true... Thats how she views Santa... She believes soo hard he comes alive... Last year she wrote her santa list and Carrot set it on fire [this enables it to go straight to Santa]. Then i bought wrapping paper and labels from a shop she never goes in and wrapped the gifts that were on her list. She asked for a new pillow, as she loves her pillow... We cut the label out and made one that said ''santa's workshop, filled by elves''...then on the labels i google searched elves names and wrote on each tag, ''wrapped by ....''. On xmas morning we all feigned ignorance as to where the presents had come from... When she opened them she looked at us shocked. Saying ''i knew he was real, mommy i really believed''... Thats what makes xmas special, seeing the joy and happiness on your childs face...

Peace and light

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I dont think your wife and kids care much about jesus birth either. Its just a celebration, they wanna do it because everybody does it. thats all

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

All the pagan stuff aside and yes, we must put that aside or we would never comemorate ANYTHING since, if you go far back, everythign has pagan origins.

Christmas is the celebration of the DAY Christ is born, but the celebration OF his birth.

The day his actual birthday is proven will be the day everyone changes Christmas to that day, untill then...

Is it so wrong to pick a day to celebrate Our Lord and Saviour? is it wrong to pick a day to stop what we are doing, remember that it is all about love and forgiveness and good (God's) will towards ALL and to show our love by buying a gift for someone else?

• undercover
    undercover

I don't do xmas. I don't do it like most people, I should say. I do it my way.

Unlike LWT, I don't have a pre-cult identity where we had holidays and the like. I grew up without those traditions and memories.

I don't really care enough about it to go out and get caught up in the shopping and decorating the house. I refuse to buy gifts just because it's xmas.

But - I do like xmastime. I like the lights and decorations around town. I like the music. I accept invitations to parties in the neighborhood and from friends. I go to the office xmas party. I bring in snacks to my department during the week of xmas. I return the greeting "Merry Xmas" to those that say it to me.

What I really like is that I have the choice...the freedom... to celebrate or not celebrate - or celebrate it in my own way. I'm not tied to some edict from a cult that says that I can't partake or enjoy this holiday or any other. We're all free to celebrate how we want to...or not at all, if that's our preference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit